Nick Cave Appreciation Thread

Started by ratsprayer, Oct 01, 2005, 10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny

anyone see wings of desire? (i know you have, K...)
he makes a guest appearance. very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfT_8uym8VI

dragonboy

Quoteanyone see wings of desire? (i know you have, K...)
he makes a guest appearance. very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfT_8uym8VI
I ordered this ages ago when you mentioned it in the movie thread, finally shipped a couple of days ago so I should have it soon.

Also look out for Nick alongside Brad Pitt in Johnny Suede:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ-KCpxLDtY
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

The DARK

I think this thread deserves a bump. Considering buying this album...

1500th post!
In another time, in another place, in another face

dragonboy

Would that be your first Nick Cave album Dark?

You can't really go wrong with NC other than avoiding Nocturama & being aware of the fact that he's definitely mellowed out a little over the years - his earlier stuff is quite different to his more recent albums.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

The DARK

Yes, it would be. I'm on the verge right now...

The DARK

dragonboy

A wise buy Sir, a wise buy  :)

The DARK

INDEED! Loved it on the first spin. Here are some highlights:

Dig Lazarus Dig!!!- "I don't know what it is but there's definitely something goin on upstairs!" Brilliant. And quite addictive. I do feel kinda sorry for Larry though...

Today's Lesson- Very Hold Steady, very good.

Moonland- Lovin the blues touches on this one. His voice sounds kinda like Tom Waits here...

We Call Upon the Author- Hilarious romp. "Prolix! Prolix! Nothing a pair of scissors can't fix!"  ;D

Jesus on the Moon- Has the mood of late night in a Paris hotel.

More News from Nowhere- Reminds me of the National for some reason...you don't even notice it's 8 minutes long

And glad to see your spacebar working again, db.  ;)

dragonboy

QuoteAnd glad to see your spacebar working again, db.
Yeah it does make a bit of a difference, doesn't it?  ;)

Pleased you like the album! Another convert to the genius of Nick Cave  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

dragonboy

Don't know why it took me so long to buy this. Excellent live album pre-Let Love In. Highly recommended!!!

(just ordered Kicking Against The Pricks...)

ManNamedTruth

where should i start at with Nick Cave? Feel free to start with a few choices.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

dragonboy

My 2 favs are Let Love In & The Boatman's Call. Let Love In is a masterpiece & shows the many sides of Nick best IMO.
The Boatman's Call is a very different fish...here's a good quote from the allmusic review: "A song cycle equally inspired by Cave's failed romantic affairs and religious doubts, The Boatman's Call captures him at his most honest and despairing."

Most people agree that Nocturama is the only one to avoid in an otherwise excellent, exciting & varied catalog!

Let us know how you get on  :)

ManNamedTruth

QuoteMy 2 favs are Let Love In & The Boatman's Call. Let Love In is a masterpiece & shows the many sides of Nick best IMO.
The Boatman's Call is a very different fish...here's a good quote from the allmusic review: "A song cycle equally inspired by Cave's failed romantic affairs and religious doubts, The Boatman's Call captures him at his most honest and despairing."

Most people agree that Nocturama is the only one to avoid in an otherwise excellent, exciting & varied catalog!

Let us know how you get on  :)

I'll let you know if i can find them, most stores seem to have a random (never the same ones the other store had) and small nick cave selection.
I saw The Proposition while you were taking time off from here. I enjoyed that a lot - the music, writing and everything.

dragonboy

Quotemost stores seem to have a random (never the same ones the other store had) and small nick cave selection.
I saw The Proposition while you were taking time off from here. I enjoyed that a lot - the music, writing and everything.
OK let more give you more to choose from! Of the albums I have:

Kicking Against The Pricks - (don't actually have this yet) covers album
Tender Prey - essential! Features one of Nick's most famous & best songs The Mercy Seat (covered by Johnny cash) & New Morning (covered by The Jacket!!!) + Dee's theme tune Deanna!
The Good Son - good album but not essential IMO.
Live Seeds - excellent live album! The essential live album...
Henry's Dream - the 2nd Nick Cave album I bought after Let Love In. Excellent album & one of my favs...essential!
Let Love In - my fav Nick Cave album. Def essential.
Murder Ballads - great album, def worth having.
The Boatman's Call - an absolute classic...essential!
No More Shall We Part - another excellent album.
Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus - great (double) album, def worth having...might be a bit too much to digest for a first purchase though?
Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! - great album, def worth having...I'm still digesting this one...

Let Love In, Boatman's Call, Tender Prey, Henry's Dream if you can get them, anything else on the list if you can't.
I don't have his debut From Here To Eternity, or it's follow up The FirstBorn Is Dead. Allmusic has From Here To Eternity as his essential pick along with Let Love In. His earlier stuff is definitely much rawer/punk.

Pleased you liked The Proposition, excellent movie!  
Have you seen Jesse James? I loved that too, probably more...bought the soundtrack too.

ManNamedTruth

Quotemost stores seem to have a random (never the same ones the other store had) and small nick cave selection.
OK let more give you more to choose from! Of the albums I have:

Kicking Against The Pricks - (don't actually have this yet) covers album
Tender Prey - essential! Features one of Nick's most famous & best songs The Mercy Seat (covered by Johnny cash) & New Morning (covered by The Jacket!!!) + Dee's theme tune Deanna!
The Good Son - good album but not essential IMO.
Live Seeds - excellent live album! The essential live album...
Henry's Dream - the 2nd Nick Cave album I bought after Let Love In. Excellent album & one of my favs...essential!
Let Love In - my fav Nick Cave album. Def essential.
Murder Ballads - great album, def worth having.
The Boatman's Call - an absolute classic...essential!
No More Shall We Part - another excellent album.
Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus - great (double) album, def worth having...might be a bit too much to digest for a first purchase though?
Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! - great album, def worth having...I'm still digesting this one...

Let Love In, Boatman's Call, Tender Prey, Henry's Dream if you can get them, anything else on the list if you can't.
I don't have his debut From Here To Eternity, or it's follow up The FirstBorn Is Dead. Allmusic has From Here To Eternity as his essential pick along with Let Love In. His earlier stuff is definitely much rawer/punk.

Pleased you liked The Proposition, excellent movie!  
Have you seen Jesse James? I loved that too, probably more...bought the soundtrack too.

Yeah I saw that, I liked The Proposition more. Jesse James was good though, even when you knew what was gonna happen obviously it still worked. When he goes to kill Jesse James, you really feel how nervous he felt.

ManNamedTruth

I got The Boatman's Call and I'm not overly impressed yet, its a little slow. I'm convinced this is not the best album for me. I'm listening to the song Red Right Hand on Last.fm and i like it more than anything on The Botman's call. I want something more twisted, dark, and possibly psychedelic (The Propistion had some dark psychedelic sounds).

red

"People Ain't No Good" has been one of my favourite songs since the first time I heard it.  Incredible song.

xmascriminal

I really love Live Seeds, but I'm less into the studio verions. That being said, Henry's Dream is awesome. I always get the outro to John Finn's Wife stuck in my head. In fact, it's in there right now.

dragonboy

QuoteI got The Boatman's Call and I'm not overly impressed yet, its a little slow. I'm convinced this is not the best album for me. I'm listening to the song Red Right Hand on Last.fm and i like it more than anything on The Botman's call. I want something more twisted, dark, and possibly psychedelic (The Propistion had some dark psychedelic sounds).

"The Boatman's Call is a very different fish...here's a good quote from the allmusic review: "A song cycle equally inspired by Cave's failed romantic affairs and religious doubts, The Boatman's Call captures him at his most honest and despairing."

Shame you're not feeling it, hopefully it will grow on you...

dragonboy

I'm spinning the Boatman's Call right now...thanks True!!!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]