Main Menu

Bonnaroo 2009?

Started by Im_The_Dude, Jan 21, 2009, 11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

Boots from the weekend are up at Largehearted Boy.  If anyone feels like un-torrenting the Al Green, Band of Horses, Merle Haggard, Phish, or Wilco sets, I'd be much obliged.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

QuoteJust watched like 45 minutes of Gomez's set. I used to really like them and still throw on Liquid Skin or Bring It On every once in awhile, but man, does their new stuff suck.

I never got either of their last 2 albums but every song that I didnt know except 1 was pretty bad. They lost their quirkiness and edge.

The only disappointing set of the entire weekend, mainly because it was just flat.

Paging Pennylane:  sit down.  I am a Phish convert.

I thought Penny was in the same boat as you and said they'd never pay to see a Phish show ?!(which I guess technically you didnt, but I couldve swore I remembering her being glad Phish was the last band playing at Roo when she was still going to go because then she could leave early and get a headstart)

Glad to see youre a convert! Im going to end up getting both shows, but friday night's is a MUST from the looks of it!!

Hood > Highway to Hell > YEM > Wilson > YEM  :o :D :o :o
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteHere's a quick recap of my weekend: Grace Potter was worth the trip alone, She debuted a bunch of new music and  I was completely sold.  David Byrne was a close second.  Santigold had a new backing band and put on a great show.  Booker T and the DBT's was awesome.  MGMT was overrated (I just didn't feel "cool" enough to be there, or maybe I was too "cool"?) ;D.  Ben Harper's new band sounded really good (and covered Good Times Bad Times).  Merle Haggard sounded as good as ever (Are the Good Tims really Over For Good really felt special).  Saw Patterson Hood and The Screwtopians' debut (sounded like DBT).  I did check out Cage the Elephant and it was the most energy of any set i saw all weekend (stagedives and crowd-surfing galore).  I'm sure I'll think of more later   .....................It's not the same without Jacket :'(

Their set was actually the last one that AT&T aired on sunday night, so I saw it, and I agree, it was awesome. The thing that amazes me is the album is just under 50 minutes I believe, and I know they played a couple covers and a couple of originals that arent on the album, but their show was nearly 2 hours. I still dont know why the opener, Karma to Burn, didnt make the album cut, I love that song. It just flat out rocks. I havent followed their setlists really, but I dont think they've been playing any BH&IC's songs, so I think Another Lonely Day in the encore was a bustout. And I absolutely love Serve Your Soul and kept waiting for it. After seeing them end the show with a 15 minute version of it, I dont know how anyone could be satisfied seeing Relentless7 and them not closing with that song. EPIC.

I def gotta get this boot!  [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

QuoteJust watched like 45 minutes of Gomez's set. I used to really like them and still throw on Liquid Skin or Bring It On every once in awhile, but man, does their new stuff suck.

I never got either of their last 2 albums but every song that I didnt know except 1 was pretty bad. They lost their quirkiness and edge.

The only disappointing set of the entire weekend, mainly because it was just flat.

I thought Penny was in the same boat as you and said they'd never pay to see a Phish show ?!(which I guess technically you didnt, but I couldve swore I remembering her being glad Phish was the last band playing at Roo when she was still going to go because then she could leave early and get a headstart)

Glad to see youre a convert! Im going to end up getting both shows, but friday night's is a MUST from the looks of it!!

Sass, i agree about Gomez. i saw their show a few weeks ago, they played whippin picadilly but none of the all time greats (here comes the breeze?)..most of their new stuff is bad...they've been in the US too long or something...

as for Phish--glad to hear it! i'm sure i would have enjoyed myself at the Phish show..i just couldn't justify making that trip for them to headline. i heard bruce was great (of course from people from NJ)

i also heard people loved DBT and booker but i also heard the sound was messed up...i heard also no one was at lucinda's set, too..heard lots of different things...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

vespachick

Sass, I too am a recent Phish convert.  Never have seen them (shut out of ticketbastard a few months back), but my bf is super into them and I gotta say...I like it!! ;D

Still, they're no MMJ!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

capt. scotty

Still, they're no MMJ!!

5-6 years ago I wouldve disagreed, but you're right.

What show(s) were you tring to go to?? If its Red Rocks, it'll probably still be hard to get a ticket without paying $150 or more, but outside of the Fenway Park and St Louis show (at a 4000 capacity venue), ticket prices are actually going down instead of up the closer you get to these shows. Pittsburgh lawns for the last week or 2 have been going for around $20 on ebay and not much higher on stubhub, Alpine night 2 seems to be approaching that the last few days. If it wasnt Red Rocks, Im guessing you were trying to go to either Shoreline or Gorge, and right now on stubhub Shoreline is going for less than face and Gorge $10 over face for either night.

I got shut out on everything (phish lottery, ticketbastard) for every show I tried to get, and while Red Rocks is a lost cause, if you actually want to go to any other show on the tour, you can still do it and in a lot of cases even pay less than face!  :o

capt. scotty

Sass, i agree about Gomez. i saw their show a few weeks ago, they played whippin picadilly but none of the all time greats (here comes the breeze?)..most of their new stuff is bad...they've been in the US too long or something...

as for Phish--glad to hear it! i'm sure i would have enjoyed myself at the Phish show..i just couldn't justify making that trip for them to headline. i heard bruce was great (of course from people from NJ)

i also heard people loved DBT and booker but i also heard the sound was messed up...i heard also no one was at lucinda's set, too..heard lots of different things...

So you are a phan then?

I was wondering why you were all into finding out what they played for a soundcheck the other day  ;D

Penny Lane

easy, Capt! i appreciate any great musicianship and i like Junta, Billy Breathes, and even Farmhouse...my best friend since 1st grade is a phish head so i definitely have been EXPOSED to phish. i never got the whole 'travelanywheretoseethemcultfollowingwannabehippiesh*t'...that has nothing to do w/trey, and i even liked his first solo album (whichever came out around 2002ish?) although it didn't sound much different than Phish. they just don't sound any better to me than belle and sebastian or other melodic groups like that...that whole movement bothered me because i knew the type of kids that were following them, which probably biased me.. like i have posted many times before, i remember sitting in my dorm room (WAYYY BACK in the late 90s probably before you were born lol) listening to a 20 min live version of 'bouncin around the room' going..WTF is going on!!'...i thought, 'haven't these kids heard of this awesome brit pop movement going on?' like i said, i never got it...but i appreciate it and i'd love to see them live..just not headlining bonnaroo!! that said, i grew up on songs like 'if i could' and 'fee' so i definitely like Phish, i just don't GET it. i like a lot of stuff i'd never go apesh*t over :-)

everyone that came back from the ROO said that they made references to the Stones or U2 for next year, also Jay Z will be touring...hmmmm

lasvegas

Quotegoing to be pretty badass to see trey trading licks with the boss.

Quotethe boss will never share the stage with trey's shitty ass....

;D epic phail.

look at all the phish n00bs coming out of the closet now. ::)
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotegoing to be pretty badass to see trey trading licks with the boss.

Quotethe boss will never share the stage with trey's shitty ass....

;D epic phail.

look at all the phish n00bs coming out of the closet now. ::)

;D

I am hardly a Phish noob though.  ::)
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

capt. scotty

Quoteeasy, Capt! i appreciate any great musicianship and i like Junta, Billy Breathes, and even Farmhouse...

Although somewhat panned at the time, maybe since it came right after 1 of their best albums Story of a Ghost, Farmhouse is a great album (although I really dont like a few songs on there like Dirt, Bug, and maybe another). I love probably half of Billy Breathes, but I still dont get why people who dont love Phish always name it as 1 of their favorites. Most accessible I guess?? I think Farmhouse could fit that label though too.

And Im pretty sure there's never been a Bouncin Round the Room over 6 minutes  ;)

lasvegas

right on, it was meant as a joke.

i think it's cool they are getting a little more love around here. too much h8 before.

they dominated 'roo.

i saw patrick throwing glowsticks during h00d.
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Ghosts_on_TV

I thought it was funny when Bruce called Page "Keyboard Player"... ;D Some guy next to me said "Bruce probably doesn't know the name of his own keyboard player..."  ;D I thought it was so funny at the time.

Penny Lane

Quoteeasy, Capt! i appreciate any great musicianship and i like Junta, Billy Breathes, and even Farmhouse...

Although somewhat panned at the time, maybe since it came right after 1 of their best albums Story of a Ghost, Farmhouse is a great album (although I really dont like a few songs on there like Dirt, Bug, and maybe another). I love probably half of Billy Breathes, but I still dont get why people who dont love Phish always name it as 1 of their favorites. Most accessible I guess?? I think Farmhouse could fit that label though too.

And Im pretty sure there's never been a Bouncin Round the Room over 6 minutes  ;)

i think a lot of people don't love it because there shouldn't even be a 6 min version of bouncin round the room ...JK...FLUFFFHEADDDDDDD.....sorry..sorry...i really do want to see them live someday. i just need to be sooooooper stoned.

ALady

QuoteI thought it was funny when Bruce called Page "Keyboard Player"... ;D Some guy next to me said "Bruce probably doesn't know the name of his own keyboard player..."  ;D I thought it was so funny at the time.

That really was funny.  Heyyyy, Keyboard Player!   ;D

I thought Bruce kinda Bonnaruined the second Phish set; it disrupted the flow, and did we really need to hear "Glory Days" two nights in a row?

capt. scotty

QuoteI thought it was funny when Bruce called Page "Keyboard Player"... ;D Some guy next to me said "Bruce probably doesn't know the name of his own keyboard player..."  ;D I thought it was so funny at the time.

I thought Bruce kinda Bonnaruined the second Phish set; it disrupted the flow, and did we really need to hear "Glory Days" two nights in a row?

I thought based on the setlist I saw Glory Days closed the first set??

If you read my post in the Phish thread, I thought everything setlist wise looked fantastic except that 2nd set on sunday.

ALady

"Glory Days" did close the first set.  The Bruce songs sort of felt like an oddly timed interruption of the first set, which hadn't really got going yet at that point.

Friday they played without a set break and that was a much better set overall.

Ghosts_on_TV

I liked it. That Mustang sally was good, plus when is that ever going to happen again?

Sassbox

I think that "keyboard player" comment was a reference to something Bruce says in another song of his.

I thoroughly enjoyed both sets...and I wasn't soooooper stoned.  Or stoned, period.  ;D
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Penny Lane

QuoteI think that "keyboard player" comment was a reference to something Bruce says in another song of his.

I thoroughly enjoyed both sets...and I wasn't soooooper stoned.  Or stoned, period.  ;D

i bet you were and didn't know it...second hand buzz....JK..glad you liked it.  hope i get to see them someday.