Currently Listening To...

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralph

Just picked up The Decemberists. Listening now... Inneresting so far...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ralph

Every time I hear gillian's voice it makes me pine for a new record from her (which apparently is due in April!)

Not too sure if I like The King Is Dead or not, I can't tell. It certainly seems pleasant enough, but doesn't seem to go anywhere terribly exciting. I do like the pedal steel work on it though...

BH

Modest Mouse -  This is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about.   Haven't listened to my MM collection in a long time.

Lightning Dust - Infinite Light   (Please get this if you have not already.)

Lightning Dust - I Knew

Lightning Dust - Take It Home
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

woodnymph

Great Lake Swimmers - Pulling On A Line

Aaah more Winter musicsss..... Diggin' these guys a lot lately... they've a newer album out called Lost Channels that's pretty sweet, and their older albums sound good too  :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ralph

Tomorrow The Green Grass reissue wishing what could have been...

To all going to the shows over the next few days have a blast. So jealous!

wolof7

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn.....yea so what?!  >:(, it's a great album....have you ever heard it? well then don't judge...You should check it out for yourself ;)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

ALady

Love me some Fiona, can't even front.  I thiiiiink she's supposed to have a new record out this year?

ralph, wish you could be here for the shows!  I bet they extend this tour - sounds like they're having a blast playing together again.  Hopefully they'll bring it  Down Under!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ralph

Quote from: ALady on Jan 22, 2011, 06:00 PM
Love me some Fiona, can't even front.  I thiiiiink she's supposed to have a new record out this year?

ralph, wish you could be here for the shows!  I bet they extend this tour - sounds like they're having a blast playing together again.  Hopefully they'll bring it  Down Under!

The Jayhawks would be a perfect fit for Bridge Benefit. Here's hoping...

woodnymph

Dick Dale SURF GUITARRRRRR Kowabunga!  8)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Ruckus

:) Finally got around to checking out Wolf People - frickin' sick!! - Thanks DB and Mr . Walnuts for the heads up :thumbsup: :beer:
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

johnnYYac

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 26, 2011, 11:54 PM
:) Finally got around to checking out Wolf People - frickin' sick!! - Thanks DB and Mr . Walnuts for the heads up :thumbsup: :beer:
Currently streaming "Silbury Sands."  Good stuff.  I will need to dig deeper.  Thanks.

EDIT: DL'd Steeple for $7 from Amazon. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

bluesky

stones ~ exile on main street and sticky fingers. both would definitely be on my blanket list if i ever get around to making one...maybe i am starting one now on the wrong thread

ralph

The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust - Saul Williams.

Obsessed on this record a few years ago when it came out and recently pulled it out of the cabinet for the first time in ages. Fuck it's good...

When I say Niggy, you say nuthin'.... Niggy... Niggy...

Ruckus

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 27, 2011, 09:08 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 26, 2011, 11:54 PM
Currently streaming "Silbury Sands."  Good stuff.  I will need to dig deeper.  Thanks.

EDIT: DL'd Steeple for $7 from Amazon.

I think I listened to Steeple 4x on Friday at work.  I think you are spot on when you cited the early prog sound.  As a fan of the modern psychedelic movement, this album particularly stood out because it was varied without sacrificing coherence while maintaining accessibility across the wide spectrum of songs.  No matter how talented they are, they never enter the realm of self indulgent meanderings.  Also, I can see them being criticized for copying artists from 4 decades ago.  However, in the same way I defend J Roddy's originality, Wolf People have been able to twist it enough to make it all their own.  I think this may have cracked my top 5 albums from last year and at the very least my top 10 had I listened to it last year.

One of my favorite tracks from Steeple - One by One from Dorney Reach - Nice live vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyQrEqwLKNw
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Sidus

wow nice, I was already looking for a tread of Wolf People. They're coming to my hometown in April, in a venue for less than 100 people  :D. One by One from Dorney Reach is also my favorite from the album ;). Really like the guitar playing

johnnYYac

Quote from: Sidus on Feb 01, 2011, 04:57 PM
wow nice, I was already looking for a tread of Wolf People. They're coming to my hometown in April, in a venue for less than 100 people  :D. One by One from Dorney Reach is also my favorite from the album ;). Really like the guitar playing
Where's your hometown?  I checked their website last week and it looked like all of their dates are in Europe.  Belgium?  Netherlands?  Are you going?

Sidus

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 01, 2011, 05:44 PM
Where's your hometown?  I checked their website last week and it looked like all of their dates are in Europe.  Belgium?  Netherlands?  Are you going?

Yeah, I'm from the Netherlands (city of Nijmegen to be exactly) ;). And I'm going for sure. It's on the 15th of April

johnnYYac

Quote from: Sidus on Feb 02, 2011, 11:59 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 01, 2011, 05:44 PM

Yeah, I'm from the Netherlands (city of Nijmegen to be exactly) ;). And I'm going for sure. It's on the 15th of April
Awesome!  I hope you have a great time.  Report back with a review.  :thumbsup:

SaraBananaBear

Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket