What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

br00ke

LCD last weekend .. didn't see miss ky at the show but we were sure to have brunch the next morning  :thumbsup: the show was super fun and i was a dance machine the entire time!!!

last night i was visiting friends down the shore and i caught marco benevento, dave dreiwitz from ween, and andrew barr from the slip .. really fun show and much to my surprise, they covered golden!! they also covered fearless off pink floyd's meddle and then segued into benny & the jets and then back into fearless.

IHL

Saw Dawes last night in London - played a 70 minute set with a mixture of 'North Hills' and new jams.

New record is out in June - something to look forward to judging from last nights performance.

Jaimoe

I saw The Pixies in Toronto last night. Great great show! The Massey Hall crowd was in impressive form throughout. The band really rocked it out and Joey Santiago was fuÇking brilliant. Frank's voice has never aged and Kim looked like she was having lots of fun. They did Doolittle justice and then some.

jaye

Saw Tame Impala last night with Yuck opening at the Fillmore.   Loved it!! 

Yuck was good.   Tame Impala was awesome!   I wasn't sure how they would sound live but they were great.  Jay is now in my top 5 favorite drummers list.   

It was packed and the crowd was really into it which is always nice.    :)

mjk73

Black Angels. wow

Great to see Hermo again

bowl of soup

Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 19, 2011, 07:13 AM
I saw The Pixies in Toronto last night. Great great show! The Massey Hall crowd was in impressive form throughout. The band really rocked it out and Joey Santiago was fuÇking brilliant. Frank's voice has never aged and Kim looked like she was having lots of fun. They did Doolittle justice and then some.

I love that they continue to tour and play and tour and play and tour and play.  My experience with the 7-year reunion was much like yours - I thought that they were in great form and I saw them in some really shitty venues for music (Sundome in Tampa, suspect number 1).  But I really, really, really wish that they would record something new.  After watching Loud, Quiet, Loud it seems that the never-ending tour was motivated by financial struggles as much as anything.  It really sucked seeing my heroes normalized and somewhat struggling (hell, it looked like Dave was a few moments away from the street), but I always hated the way they went out.

Not the album - I fucking love Trump and defend it like a jealous lover.  But rather the way it happened - it seemed that they had so much left, but Kim fizzled out and Frank's solo stuff has had moments, but no real punch.  Rant over.

Sorry about the weekend Jaimoe.  Was Baustista really complaining about a swinging strike?
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

Quote from: bowl of soup on Apr 25, 2011, 01:50 PM
Quote from: Jaimoe on Apr 19, 2011, 07:13 AM

I love that they continue to tour and play and tour and play and tour and play.  My experience with the 7-year reunion was much like yours - I thought that they were in great form and I saw them in some really shitty venues for music (Sundome in Tampa, suspect number 1).  But I really, really, really wish that they would record something new.  After watching Loud, Quiet, Loud it seems that the never-ending tour was motivated by financial struggles as much as anything.  It really sucked seeing my heroes normalized and somewhat struggling (hell, it looked like Dave was a few moments away from the street), but I always hated the way they went out.

Not the album - I fucking love Trump and defend it like a jealous lover.  But rather the way it happened - it seemed that they had so much left, but Kim fizzled out and Frank's solo stuff has had moments, but no real punch.  Rant over.

Sorry about the weekend Jaimoe.  Was Baustista really complaining about a swinging strike?

Bautista has been great. The other bats are finally coming alive and the starting pitching is getting more consistent. No biggy losing to TB. The East will be a war this season and the battles have already started.

ophidiophobia

I saw Umphreys McGee last week in Tulsa. I honestly just went because it was convenient. I listed to a few shows on archive to familiarize myself with their music. It seemed like a typical show. They played roughly 3 hours broken into 2 sets. The first set didn't do much for me, but the band seemed to pick up in the 2nd half of the show.

On a non-musical side note, there were more attractive girls at the Cains that night than any night I've been there! I'll go see Umphreys again just on the hope that they bring back all the girls :D

ManNamedTruth

Just saw Iron & Wine with Sharon Van Etton opening. Sharon Van Etton was really good, I suggest you people check her out. She was signing stuff in between sets at the merch table so i decided to go up. She was practically writing paragraphs on her LP's so i asked her if she was signing CD's too (vinyl was sold out anyway) and that she didn't have to write that much on mine, so she just wrote "For Justin. No Words." then her signature  :) She was really nice and sweet. I also purchased Our Endless Numbered Days and The Shepherd's Dog on vinyl.

I thought Iron & Wine was even better than last time I saw them.  Sam had a horn section and two backup singers this time around. Almost all of the songs were completely reworked and it sometimes took awhile to figure out what they were playing, even some of the new songs. Occasionally I would've preferred hearing a song the way it was recorded but it worked really well for certain songs, not really a complaint here. The show was in a theater and so that always makes it hard to move around. He was joking about two people that stood up and started clapping, he said he noticed them and that it was awesome or something like that... Sam is so soft spoken and hard to understand times. Anyway, so for the very next song during Tree By The River (last song of the set) everyone got up and were clapping and people were moving up to the front and started dancing! It was a very joyous moment! He came out and played Naked As We Came for the encore with everyone still standing up. So all in all a great show, the longer my show post is usually means a great show. Couldn't even begin to post a set list, no Trapeze Swinger though. I'll try to find a set list and hope it was taped.

Here's a Sharon Van Etton song that's "currently blowing my mind"
Sharon Van Etten - One Day (Epic)
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Caseydog

Just saw Twin Shadow/Pains of Being Pure at Heart/The National in Milwaukee.  Incredible show.  The National is about as professional and entertaining an act as you'll find. Last week was The Decemberists and a private show with The Budos Band and Charles Bradley.

Some of my vids:

http://youtu.be/c-HoYTvwEvg?hd=1

http://youtu.be/OAqtyKsIwKg?hd=1

iLikeBeer

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Apr 29, 2011, 01:25 AM
Just saw Iron & Wine with Sharon Van Etton opening. Sharon Van Etton was really good, I suggest you people check her out. She was signing stuff in between sets at the merch table so i decided to go up. She was practically writing paragraphs on her LP's so i asked her if she was signing CD's too (vinyl was sold out anyway) and that she didn't have to write that much on mine, so she just wrote "For Justin. No Words." then her signature  :) She was really nice and sweet. I also purchased Our Endless Numbered Days and The Shepherd's Dog on vinyl.

I thought Iron & Wine was even better than last time I saw them.  Sam had a horn section and two backup singers this time around. Almost all of the songs were completely reworked and it sometimes took awhile to figure out what they were playing, even some of the new songs. Occasionally I would've preferred hearing a song the way it was recorded but it worked really well for certain songs, not really a complaint here. The show was in a theater and so that always makes it hard to move around. He was joking about two people that stood up and started clapping, he said he noticed them and that it was awesome or something like that... Sam is so soft spoken and hard to understand times. Anyway, so for the very next song during Tree By The River (last song of the set) everyone got up and were clapping and people were moving up to the front and started dancing! It was a very joyous moment! He came out and played Naked As We Came for the encore with everyone still standing up. So all in all a great show, the longer my show post is usually means a great show. Couldn't even begin to post a set list, no Trapeze Swinger though. I'll try to find a set list and hope it was taped.

I saw Iron & Wine last night at the House of Blues in Cleveland and I concur with you about Sharon Von Etton.  She was a pleasant surprise.  I'm definitely going to check out some of her stuff.

And Iron & Wine didn't disappoint either.  I also liked how they had new arrangements to some of their old songs.  The whole band was freaking incredible, and I especially liked the horns!  The alto sax player was arguably my favorite as he was dancing the whole show!

I wasn't particulary enamoured with the crowd as there seemed to be a lot of talking going on throughout the show which was especially annoying during the slower numbers.  I tried not to let it bother me too much though.

All in all, it was a very good show by Sam and his band!

Randall

The Kills at Terminal 5, NYC last night.  Good show.

woodnymph

Hey man, I saw you wrote this review a few days ago, and haven't had the time to reply!  Very sore that I missed yet another Pittsburgh I&W show!!!  And even sorer still because Crosby & Stills played the Carnegie Library in Homestead  THE DAY AFTER!!!  Guess I'm saving my money though, on the bright side!  ::)  But it sounds like such a killer time!!  I WOULD HAVE BEEN THE THIRD PERSON TO STAND UP AND DANCE, DAMNIT!!!!  I'm sorry he didn't throw in a Trapeze Swinger, but glad I didn't miss it!!  I see you got a crazy Woman King, Rabbit Will Run, Sea & The Rhythm....... but I'm having trouble seeing much more... oh oh oh just found out there was a Big Burned Hand and a Walking Far From Home!  Wow, I'm glad someone taped the Sea & the Rhythm, it starts off sooooo beautiful and slow!!!  Lord have mercy........

I love how he reworks his oldies, but I understand the appreciation for the original sounds....... glad you represented for the 'burgh, I'll make it up in I&W Land someday!!!  Thanks for the sweet review!! I dig that Sharon tune too!  :)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on May 01, 2011, 07:30 PM

Hey man, I saw you wrote this review a few days ago, and haven't had the time to reply!  Very sore that I missed yet another Pittsburgh I&W show!!!  And even sorer still because Crosby & Stills played the Carnegie Library in Homestead  THE DAY AFTER!!!  Guess I'm saving my money though, on the bright side!  ::)  But it sounds like such a killer time!!  I WOULD HAVE BEEN THE THIRD PERSON TO STAND UP AND DANCE, DAMNIT!!!!  I'm sorry he didn't throw in a Trapeze Swinger, but glad I didn't miss it!!  I see you got a crazy Woman King, Rabbit Will Run, Sea & The Rhythm....... but I'm having trouble seeing much more... oh oh oh just found out there was a Big Burned Hand and a Walking Far From Home!  Wow, I'm glad someone taped the Sea & the Rhythm, it starts off sooooo beautiful and slow!!!  Lord have mercy........

I love how he reworks his oldies, but I understand the appreciation for the original sounds....... glad you represented for the 'burgh, I'll make it up in I&W Land someday!!!  Thanks for the sweet review!! I dig that Sharon tune too!  :)

I soooo wanted to go to that Crosby & Nash show too but it sold out before I got tickets. I didn't get around to asking anybody if they wanted to go to in time and tickets were gone before I knew it. I should've just got 2 tickets asap and just trusted that I would find someone. I saw CSNY at starlake in '07 I think and it was great, but the acoustic set didn't translate well. I'm sure that show was nothing short of amazing in that small intimate theater with those great acoustics.
So i was hoping there would be a taping but it looks like that playedlastnight.com site is down (where i got my Iron & Wine Greensburg show). Know anything about that?

ilikebeer - glad you enjoyed the show too, agree with that sax player and yea Sharon Van Etton was cool, hope she gets more recognition. Sucks about the people talking, our crowd was really into it, much better than my previous I&W show.

woodnymph

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 01, 2011, 08:25 PM
I soooo wanted to go to that Crosby & Nash show too but it sold out before I got tickets. I didn't get around to asking anybody if they wanted to go to in time and tickets were gone before I knew it. I should've just got 2 tickets asap and just trusted that I would find someone. I saw CSNY at starlake in '07 I think and it was great, but the acoustic set didn't translate well. I'm sure that show was nothing short of amazing in that small intimate theater with those great acoustics.
So i was hoping there would be a taping but it looks like that playedlastnight.com site is down (where i got my Iron & Wine Greensburg show). Know anything about that?

ilikebeer - glad you enjoyed the show too, agree with that sax player and yea Sharon Van Etton was cool, hope she gets more recognition. Sucks about the people talking, our crowd was really into it, much better than my previous I&W show.

Yeah my mom went to the Crosby/Nash show (I thought it was with Stills for some reason, but I see now, whoops!)  She called me when they played THE LEE SHORE!!!!! AHHHH!!! DILGJKDLJGLKJAG;LDKJA;LKGJD;KLH   THat's the one song I really really really want to hear them play... hopefully someday soon!! My mom was pretty damn close too! She actually called me like 8 times to hear various parts of the show... it sounded SO GOOD... Oh man they played GUINEVERE too so help me god..... and she called me during Cathedral too, and some other long jammed out parts of songs... I think they might've played Deja Vu, she texted me and said, "The sound is awesome in here! they did a huge instrumental before they finally said we have all been here before!!!"  Hahahh so I haven't actually talked to her yet about it, but that had to be Deja Vu  :D :D :D

As for the PlayedLastNight........ it is down, down, down..... so sad!!!  :'(  So glad I got the shows I did before it went kaput.... I'm not sure why exactly it went down.  All I can figure is maybe with a switch in record labels or something?  I have no clue... but it sucks!!  Let me know if you'd like any of the ones I grabbed up-- I have 2-10-07 at Messiah College in PA, 5-4-09 at the Vera Project in Seattle, 5-8-09 in Los Angeles, 10-22-05 at the Triple Door, in Seattle, and 11-14-08 (the show I went to in Buffalo with some friends!! It was awesome!!)  So yeah just say the word, I'd be glad to help ya out with any of 'em!   :)
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on May 01, 2011, 09:22 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 01, 2011, 08:25 PM

Yeah my mom went to the Crosby/Nash show (I thought it was with Stills for some reason, but I see now, whoops!)  She called me when they played THE LEE SHORE!!!!! AHHHH!!! DILGJKDLJGLKJAG;LDKJA;LKGJD;KLH   THat's the one song I really really really want to hear them play... hopefully someday soon!! My mom was pretty damn close too! She actually called me like 8 times to hear various parts of the show... it sounded SO GOOD... Oh man they played GUINEVERE too so help me god..... and she called me during Cathedral too, and some other long jammed out parts of songs... I think they might've played Deja Vu, she texted me and said, "The sound is awesome in here! they did a huge instrumental before they finally said we have all been here before!!!"  Hahahh so I haven't actually talked to her yet about it, but that had to be Deja Vu  :D :D :D

As for the PlayedLastNight........ it is down, down, down..... so sad!!!  :'(  So glad I got the shows I did before it went kaput.... I'm not sure why exactly it went down.  All I can figure is maybe with a switch in record labels or something?  I have no clue... but it sucks!!  Let me know if you'd like any of the ones I grabbed up-- I have 2-10-07 at Messiah College in PA, 5-4-09 at the Vera Project in Seattle, 5-8-09 in Los Angeles, 10-22-05 at the Triple Door, in Seattle, and 11-14-08 (the show I went to in Buffalo with some friends!! It was awesome!!)  So yeah just say the word, I'd be glad to help ya out with any of 'em!   :)

I'll take one show, whatever you deem to be your favorite  :)

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on May 01, 2011, 07:30 PM

iron and wine tree by the river

Hawkeye

Bobby Bare Jr at the High Noon Saloon, Madison, WI.  Carey Kotsionis opening.  Never know what you're going to get at a BBJr show, as far as style.  Every time I see him he has a different band playing with him!  Always brings it though.  I felt kinda bad for him at this show.  It was a Monday night after a HUGE party weekend in Madison.  I think everyone was still hungover.  Only 20-30 people there, and nobody dancing or doing much of anything except these two weird dudes in the front.  Good show though, nonetheless.  Carey and her band were very good.  Check her out, as well as her husband/wife band, The Sways.
We could.

weeniebeenie

Quote from: Hawkeye on May 04, 2011, 01:46 PM
Bobby Bare Jr at the High Noon Saloon, Madison, WI.  Carey Kotsionis opening.  Never know what you're going to get at a BBJr show, as far as style.  Every time I see him he has a different band playing with him!  Always brings it though.  I felt kinda bad for him at this show.  It was a Monday night after a HUGE party weekend in Madison.  I think everyone was still hungover.  Only 20-30 people there, and nobody dancing or doing much of anything except these two weird dudes in the front.  Good show though, nonetheless.  Carey and her band were very good.  Check her out, as well as her husband/wife band, The Sways.
Lucky! I'd love to see BBJr.
Shame not many people were into it. I'd be jumping up and down.
How loud can silence get?

youreveningcoat

Last show I saw was The Doobie Brothers in late march. Bloody awesome, man can they still rock!
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes