What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuggets

Just grabbed tix to see Mavis Staples. Love her, but have never seen her. Really looking forward to it.
Mavis Staples- See that my grave is kept clean
Oh shit, run!

Crowes74

Seen Primus last night.  Always a great time.  That's one hellava trio of musicians. 

The dead Kenny g's opened.  Actually a good opener, lively set.

nuggets

Quote from: Crowes74 on May 30, 2011, 04:40 PM
Seen Primus last night.  Always a great time.  That's one hellava trio of musicians. 

The dead Kenny g's opened.  Actually a good opener, lively set.
Jay and Les back together is a good thing. :thumbsup:
Oh shit, run!

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 28, 2011, 02:46 PM
Saw Avett Brothers with Nicole Atkins opening last night. Even though the show sold out, I still feel like they're underrated. Avett brothers deserve the kind of success Mumford & Sons have had. Avett Brothers>Mumford & Sons IMO. Avett Brothers have been around for awhile and Mumford & Sons blow up with their debut album, just doesn't sit well with me. Anyway, the show was amazing. Great energy and amazing musicianship, what's not to like? Also, I wore my roll call shirt and a couple MMJ fans stopped to shake my hand! It's amazing to see us MMJ fans stick together like that! It really is a community.

I didnt end up going, but a friend did...He texted me "totally not worth the money"...I was kind of surprised because most people rave about them live, but part of why I didnt go was for that same reason (easily a $80+ night all things considered). Haven't talked to him yet so not sure how good he actually thought the show was. Id guess you are a bigger fan than him, but just saying. Nice on the MMJ sidenote. No need for roll call since this is a GA show, but I think Im gonna join just for the shirt and poster.

I only have 1 Avett Bros album (I&L&Y). Its like it well enough, but the Mumford & Sons album I think is much better and loved it from first listen.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jun 01, 2011, 07:37 PM
Saw Avett Brothers with Nicole Atkins opening last night. Even though the show sold out, I still feel like they're underrated. Avett brothers deserve the kind of success Mumford & Sons have had. Avett Brothers>Mumford & Sons IMO. Avett Brothers have been around for awhile and Mumford & Sons blow up with their debut album, just doesn't sit well with me. Anyway, the show was amazing. Great energy and amazing musicianship, what's not to like? Also, I wore my roll call shirt and a couple MMJ fans stopped to shake my hand! It's amazing to see us MMJ fans stick together like that! It really is a community.

I didnt end up going, but a friend did...He texted me "totally not worth the money"...I was kind of surprised because most people rave about them live, but part of why I didnt go was for that same reason (easily a $80+ night all things considered). Haven't talked to him yet so not sure how good he actually thought the show was. Id guess you are a bigger fan than him, but just saying. Nice on the MMJ sidenote. No need for roll call since this is a GA show, but I think Im gonna join just for the shirt and poster.

I only have 1 Avett Bros album (I&L&Y). Its like it well enough, but the Mumford & Sons album I think is much better and loved it from first listen.

Considering most concerts these days are around that price, yes I thought it was worth it. They're no MMJ, but I do think they're a great live band. I hear ya on the roll call thing, I'm not even sure if I'll use it this year. I'm getting my ticket for Pittsburgh on the regular sale date, and not 100% sure I'm going to MPP yet. Have you been to the outdoor part of AE yet? It's a great venue, hopefully there's a couple more show announcements this summer. I don't have any desire for Star Lake shows anymore, with a few exceptions.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

paul137

Saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings with Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears about 2 weeks ago an amazing show.

Crispy

Those Darlins at wakarusa!  :D
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

vespachick

IMHO, I&L&Y is their weakest.  I liked them alot until that album came out. It's a little too slick for me.  That being said I had a ton of fun the first couple of times I saw them on the Emotionalism tour.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: vespachick on Jun 02, 2011, 07:58 PM

IMHO, I&L&Y is their weakest.  I liked them alot until that album came out. It's a little too slick for me.  That being said I had a ton of fun the first couple of times I saw them on the Emotionalism tour.

I don't get people sometimes, is it because it's their most popular? Sometimes people think it's cool to like a bands early stuff more than their newer stuff when they get bigger, not saying that's you vespa just making a point. I like their other stuff too but I think Emotionalism is my least favorite, too many slow songs on that one. I think I&Love&You is their best. It's not slick in a bad way. The song writing is the best they've done, and they continue to prove they can play different styles of music and it still sounds like Avett Brothers.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

triptens

Just saw the Arctic Monkeys last week at the fillmore Detroit and they fuckin rocked!  I was dissapointed in their new cd but it played live very well.

capt. scotty

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Jun 02, 2011, 12:54 AM
Have you been to the outdoor part of AE yet? It's a great venue, hopefully there's a couple more show announcements this summer. I don't have any desire for Star Lake shows anymore, with a few exceptions.

I have not, just the club size indoor..Good to know its nice. It seems like pretty much every show this summer besides the Clarks at Stage AE this summer is at least $40 when its all said and done, which sucks. I think theyd actually make more money with $25 tickets bc mroe people would go.

Im living in Altoona at the moment, so all Im really planning on is MMJ. Id go to the Sublime/311 show though mostly for Sublime though as the new guy they have singing for them sounds just like Bradley and is good.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

blucas

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros- that was my introduction to them and I loved their energy

The Black Keys- it was a snoozer but otherwise a beautiful night at an outdoor venue

The Black Angels at rhythm room, a small Phoenix bar- one of those special nights where you could tell the band was there to blow our faces off and they did

Brett Dennen coming up and then MMJ in Santa Barbara (probably not supposed to mention that in this section but I can't help it)
soft and warm all the time make you want it over and over

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

phish last night blew my mind and made me throw up all night long:

Set 1: Wolfman's Brother, Funky Bitch, Sample in a Jar, NICU[1], Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Tela > Chalk Dust Torture, The Wedge

Set 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Fluffhead > David Bowie, Waste > Also Sprach Zarathustra[3] > Cavern

Encore: Good Times Bad Times

[1] Happy birthday wish from Trey to Mike; Happy Birthday tease from Trey.
[2] Happy Birthday tease and A Love Supreme jam.
[3] Sex Machine and Super Bad teases from Trey.

Notes: During NICU, Trey wished Mike a happy birthday. NICU subsequently contained a Happy Birthday tease from Trey. DWD contained a Happy Birthday tease and a jam based on A Love Supreme. Also Sprach Zarathrustra contained Sex Machine and Super Bad teases from Trey.

paul137

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 04, 2011, 05:23 PM

Set 1: Wolfman's Brother, Funky Bitch, Sample in a Jar, NICU[1], Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Tela > Chalk Dust Torture, The Wedge

Set 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Fluffhead > David Bowie, Waste > Also Sprach Zarathustra[3] > Cavern

Notes: During NICU, Trey wished Mike a happy birthday. NICU subsequently contained a Happy Birthday tease from Trey. DWD contained a Happy Birthday tease and a jam based on A Love Supreme. Also Sprach Zarathrustra contained Sex Machine and Super Bad teases from Trey.

Was also at this show Friday night it was pretty bad ass.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: paul137 on Jun 05, 2011, 10:39 AM

glad you had a good time mang, the entire crowd was awesome all night.  where were you at? pav or lawn?  twas my first show and a dandy one at that.  it was a true delight.

paul137

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 05, 2011, 03:02 PM
Quote from: paul137 on Jun 05, 2011, 10:39 AM

glad you had a good time mang, the entire crowd was awesome all night.  where were you at? pav or lawn?  twas my first show and a dandy one at that.  it was a true delight.

Lawn dead center near the bottom of the hill.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Sticky Icky Green Stuff on Jun 04, 2011, 05:23 PM

Ive seen a few people say that DWD jam was the best of phish 3.0!!  :o

I was supposed to go to Cleveland last night but couldnt make it...Setlist looks pretty sweet

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

DWD->Fluffhead->Bowie.  = bad ass.  it's hard to explain, it was like watching my dreams come true.

Non Sin Breaux

Pinback @ The Belly Up in Solana Beach, CA

going to see Dax Riggs @ The Casbah this up coming Wednesday in San Diego
[url="https://www.facebook.com/thibault.lesananas"]https://www.facebook.com/thibault.lesananas[/url]

brkndwnbus

Ryan Bingham and the Dead Horses at the 9:30 Club on June 10...killer.

Dawes, M. Ward and Bright Eyes on June 11 at Wolf Trap. Not as much fun as Bingham, but a great show.