What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Quote from: lucylew on Jul 31, 2011, 07:00 PM
Steve Miller Band with Dave Mason opening - at Lake Tahoe.  A summer evening doesn't get much better than this.
Nice nice niiiiccee!  :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

buster douglas

Was at Osheaga Music Fest n Montreal yesterday!... beautiful day, nice locale, good crowd of people.
Caught a bunch of good acts but here are some notable impressions for some of them:

-Got there early to see the Sheepdogs open the show.  The 70's are alive with this band.  Great riffage/hair.  Though the crowd was small then, there was a serious buzz about this band and their impending exposure/success.  Will they get the Rolling Stone cover?  We'll find out in a few hours...
-Cypress Hill takes the stage at the traditional 4:20 slot.  A band that has 50 songs about weed is funny.  It was a really good time, never seen that much smoke at once.  Tough, aggressive pot music is a really bizarre concept to me haha.  Montreal is a pretty big pot-loving city and it seems like the crowd doubled in size when Cypress Hill took the stage.
-The crowd was insanely rowdy for the Tragically Hip, who played an hour long hitlist that had everyone in a frenzy.  This was probably the day's biggest draw for the Canadian fans.  Was pumped to be about 20 feet from the stage for this one.
-I was excited to finally see the Flaming Lips' famed stage show.  They played the Soft Bulletin.  It was indeed a freaky trip, but Wayne Coyne talks wayyyy too much.  Seriously.  He blabbed between almost every song, and he just blabbed on and on about like "this next song is going to be the most awesome, loving moment of our lives!  Really, it is!  It will be orgasmic it's gonna be so awesome! Ad Boredom" ...This type of banter gets old really fast, the music/presentation should speak for itself you don't have to be constantly inflating it Wayne.  ESPECIALLY when the Soft Bulletin has so many slower numbers that are all about settling into the groove, not getting all spazzy.
-So we left Flaming Lips halfway through their set and went to the dance stage for a final tension release with MSTRKRFT.  I'm not an electro guy so it struck me as pretty typical electro music; I can't tell the difference between good and bad.  But it felt really great to dance hard and release a ton of tension after such a long day of shows.

Anyways, thumbs up all around and I felt like I got my money's worth.  This was  a 2.5 day urban music festival but I only went to one day, which made it easy to keep a strong pace all day and really soak it all in.

Northern Neighbour

My wife and three close friends of ours went to Moncton on the weekend to see U2's final show of their U2360 Tour.  It was a fantastic show.  We've seen several U2 shows in the past, but this one was pretty special.  The band played with a lot of energy and the crowd was fantastic.  It also helped having Arcade Fire open for them.

StaggerLee

Band of Horses last night at the TLA in Philly.  Flipping amazing show. 
Flip Flip Flipadelphia

MarkW

Quote from: StaggerLee on Aug 10, 2011, 04:49 PM

Nice forum name.  One of my very favourite Cave songs..
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjk73

Quote from: MarkW on Aug 11, 2011, 06:35 AM
Quote from: StaggerLee on Aug 10, 2011, 04:49 PM

Nice forum name.  One of my very favourite Cave songs..
x2

SmokinShootin

Quote from: capt. scotty on Jul 25, 2011, 08:28 PM
saw Tedeschi Trucks Band on Saturday...I mean, what can I say. Susan T has some of the best pipes on the planet, and Derek Trucks is probably the greatest living guitarist inhabiting earth. His sound is so clean, yet so smooth. Nice set, with some great cover choices - Ive Got A Feeling, Manic Depression, Sing A Simple Song > I Wanna Take You Higher, and probably a couple more Im forgetting.

First time seeing Trucks not playing with the Allmans. Dude is just so good its crazy, and when he's not within the constraints of Elizabeth Reed or Statesboro Blues, you can see how great he really is.

Also saw them recently and I agree about Derek Trucks.  There is not a thing he cannot do on that instrument.  I did not expect to be more impressed by him then I already was, but it happened some how.

robb

the mountain goats
wild sage
estate sale sign
you or your memory
broom people
lion's teeth
pigs that ran straightaway into the water, triumph of
southwood plantation road
jeff davis county blues
psalms 40:2
for charles bronson
birth of serpents
no children
this year

they were opening for bright eyes so they only got 45 minutes, but it was a great show. really has me excited to see them play a proper show in the future.

bright eyes (3rd time seeing them, probably the most coked out i've seen conor)
    four winds
    we are nowhere and it's now
    bowl of oranges
    take it easy (love nothing)
    jejune stars
    lover i don't have to love
    shell games
    arc of time (time code)
    triple spiral
    landlocked blues
    cartoon blues
    if the brakeman turns my way
    hot knives
    another travelin' song (peter hughes was backstage jamming out to this song)
    poison oak
    the calendar hung itself
    ladder song

first day of my life
    wrecking ball (gillian welch cover w/ laura burhenn of the mynabirds)
    road to joy (peter hughes on stage to play drums)
    one for you, one for me

all in all it was a pretty good show, i think i'm getting tired of seeing conor live, especially with how similar this setlist was to the show i saw in march. highlight of the bright eyes set was the welch cover.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

youreveningcoat

I AM GIANT, last friday night.

Screamo band opened for them though so that kinda sucked...
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

lucylew

Michael Buble' last night in San Jose.  Awesome, awesome show.  60 minutes reporter and camera crew on hand - they are doing a profile on him.

e_wind

Quote from: robb on Aug 13, 2011, 10:27 AM
the mountain goats
wild sage
estate sale sign
you or your memory
broom people
lion's teeth
pigs that ran straightaway into the water, triumph of
southwood plantation road
jeff davis county blues
psalms 40:2
for charles bronson
birth of serpents
no children
this year

they were opening for bright eyes so they only got 45 minutes, but it was a great show. really has me excited to see them play a proper show in the future.

bright eyes (3rd time seeing them, probably the most coked out i've seen conor)
    four winds
    we are nowhere and it's now
    bowl of oranges
    take it easy (love nothing)
    jejune stars
    lover i don't have to love
    shell games
    arc of time (time code)
    triple spiral
    landlocked blues
    cartoon blues
    if the brakeman turns my way
    hot knives
    another travelin' song (peter hughes was backstage jamming out to this song)
    poison oak
    the calendar hung itself
    ladder song

first day of my life
    wrecking ball (gillian welch cover w/ laura burhenn of the mynabirds)
    road to joy (peter hughes on stage to play drums)
    one for you, one for me

all in all it was a pretty good show, i think i'm getting tired of seeing conor live, especially with how similar this setlist was to the show i saw in march. highlight of the bright eyes set was the welch cover.

never seen bright eyes, like them but will only seen them locally honestly. in highschool maybe I wouldve traveled to see them. HOWEVER, that set list looks honestly really awesome in my eyes. I don't know the catalogue extensively, but of what I do know I see many of my favorites  up there. Would murder to see June On The West Coast. to me thats one the best folk songs of all time despite being from a band I don't consider to be all that. also i want to see conor in any form play Ahead of the Curve. another one of my favorite songs of all time.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

MarkW

White Denim at the O2 Academy in Liverpool last night.  The show was marred by talkers for the first 30 minutes, but then they all got bored and must have wandered off to launder their checked shirts.

It's a small venue, with a 400 or so capacity.  What a tight band, and just ridiculously talented.  I only have the latest album, D, and the songs from that were excellent, capturing the twin-guitar and bass/percussion balance perfectly.  The earlier stuff reminded me a little of Ween, which is no bad thing either.  If you get the chance, get along and see them.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

FiddleCastro

Saw Bright Eyes last night. A fight broke out. Who fights at a Bright Eyes show, seriously?  ;D
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

smhoffmann02

John Butler Trio - small venue (maybe 3,000) in Oregon.  They killed it!  8)
Give me a butt load of reverb on this one - just pile it on.

MarkW

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Sep 01, 2011, 05:57 PM
Saw Bright Eyes last night. A fight broke out. Who fights at a Bright Eyes show, seriously?  ;D
???

the_wizzard

Charles Bradley last night  :o (bonus: opener was Dennis Coffey...aka Funk Brothers member).
Tonight I am going to check out Blitzen Trapper play the home town crowd.

woodnymph

Just got back from a Melvin Seals & JGB show!!!  With the almost full moooooon right over the stage, silhouetting the mountains in the background (at the outdoors stage at Pisgah Brewery in Black Mountain)

Such a beautiful night for an outdoor show....... such a beautiful night to sneak in through the woods..... wait what?!  And they play Run for the Roses while I got tangled in a multiflora rose patch  ::)  Real funny Jerry!!   :P  So worth it though!!  Such a beautiful opener of Stop That Train into Sugaree........ I was going to settle for kicking it in the lot (which thank god was nothing remotely like a Dead lot) but once they started wailing out on Sugaree my body just up and started on the mission for free admission.

Awesome times!!!   ;D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Fully

I went to see Widespread Panic last night at Fontanel outside of Nashville. It was my first concert at that venue. It took a long time to enter the parking lot. and then there was a bridge that you had to walk across to get to the concert area. It was backed up terribly. Leaving was pretty bad too. If this venue wants to keep having shows, they really need to fix the entry and exit issues.

The concert itself was quite good, outside in the fall with the lights bouncing off the trees created a very nice atmosphere. Panic played for over three hours and were really great. My friend and I joked that they only played two really long songs because all of their music sounds like the same song to me, just one long extended jam. That doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy it; those two songs were really good. All in all, it was a very good evening.

weeniebeenie

Saw Hey Rosetta! on Friday. They opened for an Aussie band called The Jezabels.
It was awesome. I met their singer Tim and he signed my CD.

Chris Cornell on Saturday. OH. MY. G-
It was at the Opera House so the acoustics were amazing. My favourites were Mind Riot, Wooden Jesus, Call Me A Dog (I saw this on his last tour here but it was so much better this time), Blow Up The Outside World, A Day In The Life, When I'm Down (he played it to the original piano track by Natasha Shneider and dedicated it to her) etc. He was really funny aswell, talking about how Soundgarden opened for GnR at Madison Square Garden, how the crowd sounded really rowdy (he was taking requests so everyone was yelling out stuff) and how some songs came about. I wasn't allowed to take pictures which kinda sucked but the goods news is no post-show blues for me 'cause Soundgarden will be here in January!!
How loud can silence get?

johnnYYac

Alberta Cross opened for Portugal. The Man this past Saturday.  I was probably more excited for AC than PtM.  I probably enjoyed the AC set more, too.  Acoustics were better.  Really bummed for the short set and new tunes, missed not hearing earlier songs I've grown to love, replaced by new songs for the upcoming album.  Had fun leaning  back to avoid getting hit in the head by mic chords, guitar necks, and a broken string whipping back and forth.

For Portugal. The Man, a healthy set of tunes I'm learning to like, just harder to hear live.  Perhaps the mix was designed for folks not leaning on the stage.  Its really facinating to see pro musicians up close, using guitar/bass pedals, laptops, tambourines, manipulating switches and dials, often with eyes closed.  Great energy and talent all around. 

My Morning Jacket is 1000 times better, however.  ;)
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.