What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Oct 24, 2011, 02:37 AM
Saw Hey Rosetta! on Friday. They opened for an Aussie band called The Jezabels.
It was awesome. I met their singer Tim and he signed my CD.

Chris Cornell on Saturday. OH. MY. G-
It was at the Opera House so the acoustics were amazing. My favourites were Mind Riot, Wooden Jesus, Call Me A Dog (I saw this on his last tour here but it was so much better this time), Blow Up The Outside World, A Day In The Life, When I'm Down (he played it to the original piano track by Natasha Shneider and dedicated it to her) etc. He was really funny aswell, talking about how Soundgarden opened for GnR at Madison Square Garden, how the crowd sounded really rowdy (he was taking requests so everyone was yelling out stuff) and how some songs came about. I wasn't allowed to take pictures which kinda sucked but the goods news is no post-show blues for me 'cause Soundgarden will be here in January!!

Does Chris still cover Billie Jean live ever? One of the best covers ever...
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

weeniebeenie

Yes, he played Bille Jean aswell.
How loud can silence get?

woodnymph

WOW weeniebeen!!!!  Sounds AMAZING!!!  And Soundgarden in January?!?  Solid!!

My mom just texted me the other day to say she bought tix to see Chris in Pittsburgh in December!  Go Mom!!!   :D

Just saw my *free*  Flaming Lips show in downtown Asheville!!  What, a, TIME!!  I just hung around back and caught my share through the fences!  When I first arrived, there was a small group of people gathered around the far far back....... and one of the massive balloons that were thrown into the crowd made it all the way back to us!  So we got to have an 'outside' party, which was fun  :P

And the place I eventually posted up was great, no one was in the way, the security let me sit there cause it was just me!  And for the last couple songs, this really nice lady stood nearby, and she totally witnessed the magic confetti that they shot out..... it made its way to where we were standing, and a piece landed right on my hand!  During "What Is The Light?  !!!!  Just magic. The trees by where I was standing were in their beautiful fall glory, and the crazy lights from the show just swirled through the leaves, with the waxing moon in the background...... I forget what some of the song names were that they played, but recognized all of them (and the main staples were played, of course)  OH they did play Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "Lucky Man" hahahah that was a first for me to see 'em play.

And such a gorgeous brisk autumn night.... I parked a bit far, and the walks were just magnificent! And the costumes were really a riot to see all night!!  ;D  :D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

IHL

Saw Ryan Adams last thursday night at the Union Chapel, London.

Setlist:

Oh My Sweet Carolina
Ashes & Fire
If I am a stranger
Sylvia Plath
Two
Everybody knows
Dirty Rain
My Winding Wheel
New York, New York
Lucky Now
Please do not let me go
Firecracker
rocks (live debut)
Crossed Out Name
Why Do They Leave?
when will you come back home
English girls approximately
Houses on the Hill
(Whiskeytown song)
Avenues
(Whiskeytown song)
Jacksonville Skyline
(Whiskeytown song)
Encore:
In My Time of Need
Dear Chicago
Halloween
Come pick me up

The whole show was very stripped down, felt amazing - gave me chills. 'Jacksonville Skyline' was a highlight.

Jon T.

Ben Sollee last night.  I'm so happy I went to that.  Very fascinating to watch him play.   At someone's request (I promise is wasn't me or Tyler) he played the ending jam from Evil Urges on his cello.

e_wind

Hoots and Hellmouth last night.

My first time seeing them, after I didn't see them last year here in Louisville, and missing them at Wakarusa this year... They were great, they got really loud and crazy on some songs. I guess most haven't heard of them, but if you like folky-bluegrassy rock then check em out. I don't know if I've ever seen a better 5$ show before.

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: IHL on Oct 31, 2011, 02:47 PM

Saw Ryan Adams last thursday night at the Union Chapel, London.

Setlist:

Oh My Sweet Carolina
Ashes & Fire
If I am a stranger
Sylvia Plath
Two
Everybody knows
Dirty Rain
My Winding Wheel
New York, New York
Lucky Now
Please do not let me go
Firecracker
rocks (live debut)
Crossed Out Name
Why Do They Leave?
when will you come back home
English girls approximately
Houses on the Hill
(Whiskeytown song)
Avenues
(Whiskeytown song)
Jacksonville Skyline
(Whiskeytown song)
Encore:
In My Time of Need
Dear Chicago
Halloween
Come pick me up

The whole show was very stripped down, felt amazing - gave me chills. 'Jacksonville Skyline' was a highlight.

Wow!  That is an awesome setlist.

ManNamedTruth

I saw Drive-By Truckers and Jessica Lea Mayfield tonight, made for a great evening! We went outside in-between sets and saw Jessica's band on the side of the building and asked for some merch, since they didn't have a table set up. We bullshitted with the band for awhile (mostly the bass player), bought Tell Me on vinyl and got it signed by Jessica when she eventually came out. She looks a lot cuter now then her newest album cover would suggest, hair was longer than usual and jet black. She was sporting a black dress, black stockings, and red pumps *drool*. DBT kicked ass as usual, great to finally see them as the headlining band for a change. They played a long set, lasted till around 11:30 witch is pretty late for a theater set. To top things off, I won the 2nd prize on the raffle ticket I bought earlier! I got 2 tickets for Dark Star Orchestra, a Carnegie Library Music Hall t-shirt, and a large print of a painting they have in the library, of the music hall. DBT had the best selection of merch I've ever seen - vinyl, t-shirts, DVD's, beer coozies, license plates, baby clothing, etc... I got a hoodie and Decoration Day vinyl.

I found a pic of the painting online. I got 314/2007, that's a large run! The poster is standard poster paper and not as nice as your typical concert print, and is a little dented. Still pretty cool though!

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

AA Bondy

Unreal!

The encore was just him and electric guitar for about 6 songs.  There are no words for how amazing his guitar tone and his voice were during that.  You could hear a pin drop.

I talked to him a bit after the show, I was telling him about one of my favorite lyrics from the new record.  Later I bought the Vinyl and went to my car to get a sharpie.  When I got back to the club he was packing up his stuff, so I just sat down, he walked over and signed my record and he wrote the lyrics we were talking about on the record.  I gave him a hug.  Beautiful. 
There's Still Time.........

Ruckus

Quote from: sweatboard on Nov 18, 2011, 11:53 AM
AA Bondy

Unreal!

The encore was just him and electric guitar for about 6 songs.  There are no words for how amazing his guitar tone and his voice were during that.  You could hear a pin drop.

I talked to him a bit after the show, I was telling him about one of my favorite lyrics from the new record.  Later I bought the Vinyl and went to my car to get a sharpie.  When I got back to the club he was packing up his stuff, so I just sat down, he walked over and signed my record and he wrote the lyrics we were talking about on the record.  I gave him a hug.  Beautiful.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

NSLrecordings

The Heavy Pets & Dopapod at the Double Door in Charlotte.

Archive links to the recordings-
http://tinyurl.com/heavypets
http://tinyurl.com/dopapod
[url="//www.facebook.com/nslmedia"]www.facebook.com/nslmedia[/url] / [url="//www.nslmedia.net"]www.nslmedia.net[/url]

Sidus

I saw Wilco, My Morning Jacket and Portugal. The Man in the last two weeks  :D 8)

Wilco and MMJ (in Amsterdam) were great as usual! My two favorite bands :). Saw MMJ one day after Wilco. The crowds were really different. Wilco attracted a much older (40+) audience in comparison to MMJ (mostly 25-35 years old I think). Both shows were great. Wilco being more subtle and perfectionists, MMJ playing with your emotions. Both had many jaw dropping moments!

A week later I saw Portugal. The Man (also in Amsterdam, second time I saw them live). Also a recommendation to see live, even if you don't really like their recorded music. Live, their music sounds much heavier/louder and guitar influenced than on the CD! They also jam a lot (and loud ;)) during their set and they change parts of the songs or blend them together. Unfortunately the crowd around us was chatting a lot, I really hate that... But apart from the crowd, it was a good show! Go see them if they play near your place!

Portugal The Man "AKA M80 The Wolf" Live (esp last 5 mins are nice. Nowadays they have an extra guitar player).

Ruckus

Some of the loudest shows I've been to have been at the 930 Club, particularly when you get stuck under the speakers.  Besides Jurassic5, I think last night's Mastodon show was the only other show where I think I probably should've tried earplugs based on where I was standing.  Regardless, my body is showing the effects of the beating I took in the pit the entire show.  Most of surfers were alright but a fat kid got dropped on me and he kicked me in the spine on the way down.  Felt it pretty good even though I was vodka numb.  Great show!  Probably the 1st full show I spent in a pit in a decade or so.

I'm curious what Mr. Whippy thought of it from the balcony.  I'm not a big fan of the Hunter but when they dug back in the catalog, it got real good.  Couldn't imagine a 1st Mastodon show being any more fun that that. :)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Saw Justin Townes Earle last night....great show, he was solo, without accompaniment and I was more than impressed....he covered Lightnin Hopkins and got a standing O in the middle of the set. Played 2 other covers as well (can't remember the titles tho).

He played around 3 new songs, all were stellar and does not deviate from his normal sound. He is frigging tall and hammers on his guitar, he plays rhythm stranger than any other  guitarist I've seen in a long time.

Added bonus: sat next to Joe Fletcher from Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons. We chatted it up for a bit!

NEW ALBUM RELEASE DATE IS MARCH 27TH!!!

Setlist (by album):
Narrows Center of the Arts, Fall River MA 12/4/2011

3 new songs, titles/song descriptions via lyrics (he didn't name the titles):
- Passing Through Memphis
- "Am I that Lonely, I Don't Know"
-"The Meanest Song I've Ever Written" - self-proclaimed

HRB:
-Harlem River Blues
-One More Night in Brooklyn
-Workin for the MTA
-Christchurch Woman
-Move Over Mama
-Wanderin'
-Learnin to Cry
-Ain't Waitin

MATM:
-They Killed John Henry
-Mama's Eyes
-Someday I'll Be Forgive for This
-Walk Out
-Can't Hardley Wait

TGL:
-Hard Livin
-Ain't Glad I'm Leavin

Covers:
- Automobile Blues - Lightnin Hopkins
2 other covers unknown to wolof
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

e_wind

Chris Cornell last night.

I usually steer clear of solo acoustic shows, but he was awesome! The man can sing with the best of em. My favorite were the Temple of the Dog songs. Wooden Jesus, Call Me a Dog, Hunger Strike, Say Hello to Heaven. Then there was a Springsteen cover - State Trooper, obviously some Soundgarden and Audioslave songs. Just a few of his own solo songs. Played a very appropriate cover in his encore - Imagine by Lennon. Good Show, good times.

slappymoe

Quote from: e_wind on Dec 09, 2011, 10:46 AM
Chris Cornell last night.

I usually steer clear of solo acoustic shows, but he was awesome! The man can sing with the best of em. My favorite were the Temple of the Dog songs. Wooden Jesus, Call Me a Dog, Hunger Strike, Say Hello to Heaven. Then there was a Springsteen cover - State Trooper, obviously some Soundgarden and Audioslave songs. Just a few of his own solo songs. Played a very appropriate cover in his encore - Imagine by Lennon. Good Show, good times.
i was there as well, and i'm just the opposite:  i love seeing legends like cornell stripped down to nothing but guitar and vocals.  and that's all he needs, it was a fantastic show.  i never got into soundgarden to the extent i did with pearl jam, but i always knew cornell was quite the badass.    highlights for me were the TOD songs, a day in the life, doesn't remind me (with crowd member on guitar), and an amazing solo acoustic outshined(!).

even the fight (dude got punched - hard - for talking too much) was entertaining.

this was my first time in the brown theatre.....talk about intimate!  gonna be an awesome place to see james, martin moore, and sollee.

Penny Lane

Brown Bird and The Devil Makes Three: Portland, ME

Holy smokes, sold out show..lots of beards and wooly smell...LOVED IT. Try and catch either of these bands if you can.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

johnnYYac

Quote from: Penny Lane on Dec 11, 2011, 09:14 PM

Holy smokes, sold out show..lots of beards and wooly smell...LOVED IT. Try and catch either of these bands if you can.
Portland brings some earthy crowds.  Lots of plaid and knit caps, too.  Was this at the State?  That was the site of the best MMJ I've seen, until Wednesday, of course.  ;)
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

wolof7

Quote from: Penny Lane on Dec 11, 2011, 09:14 PM

Glad you liked Penny, as Ive mentioned before the 2 members of Brown Bird live on my block and hang at the same local dives...they are good people and they make a great duo...its good to hear them practice in the summertime!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

Shake it, shaaake it, Sugareeeee......

Phil + Friends at Asheville XMas Jam Dec. 10, 2011  Full Moon show   :o

http://www.archive.org/download/http://www.archive.org/details/paf2011-12-10

Why can I never get my archive links to work???
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time