What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

Do tell...I've heard nothing but glowing reviews from this tour.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Penny Lane

Quote from: e_wind on Jan 31, 2012, 02:28 PM
Ryan Adams. His attitude and pompousness ruined the show for me. Dude is grade a douche bag.

really? when i saw him he was awesome and funny...i thought he'd been pretty upbeat and humble this tour...was it just his demeanor last night?

more importantly--how was Jason Isbell?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

dragonboy

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 31, 2012, 03:17 PM
Ryan Adams. His attitude and pompousness ruined the show for me. Dude is grade a douche bag.

really? when i saw him he was awesome and funny...i thought he'd been pretty upbeat and humble this tour...was it just his demeanor last night?

I really, really wanted to give him another chance after Ashes & Fire but then I read about the whole Neil Finn/Janis Ian thing & now I just dislike him more  :-\
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

e_wind

He sounded fantastic. Though I didn't like the slowed down solo piano version of NY, NY. In fact, I don't think I'll see him solo ever again. The down beat version of most every song was a drag to me.

Every comment he made sounded like hes ungrateful and doing us all a favor. Also, I have NO problem with him requesting no alcohol at a show. I DO have a problem with someone requesting no alcohol because they're a recovering alcoholic and then making several jokes about drinking games and the crowd being drunk. Talking about alcohol wont make you relapse but alcohol being in a huge dark room you can't see in us a problem. The real issue is that he cares more about us looking at him rather than us having a good time. It's the same reason that you weren't allowed to get out of your seat or re enter the theater unless he was in a song break. Give me a break. I am the kind of guy who won't support a good artist If they're a douchebag.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ALady

I dunno...I thought the policies re alcohol/cell phone use/getting up in the middle of a song were intended so that the audience would be respectful to one another, and to the performer.  But you can't really force that, as it turns out.

I have had this conversation in a few other places, so I understand your viewpoint; a concert can definitely be a party; I'm just of the opinion that this wasn't meant to be that kind of party. 

I don't think he's out of line in thinking that people paid to see him perform and ostensibly would want to focus on what he's doing up there.

e_wind

That was he first time I've ever seen anything like that. I don't support it. I'm the customer to both the artist and the venue. Even the employees were complaining and one told me shed never seen such demands from an artist.

I've seen tons of stripped down shows at that venue or the brown which is a block away and owned by the same company. I've always been able to enjoy it until RA. Also, I'd argue that the seating rules were more distracting. At the end of every song like 30 people would stand up and make a mass exodus to the bathroom. Ridiculous.

ALady

Fair enough.  Sorry you didn't have a better time.

e_wind

Just to clarify, that wasn't my major problem with the show, just a gripe. I didn't like that he was blatantly making fun of people who payed 55$ to be there for him. And I just plain thought it was boring. Not really his problem, just a personal opinion. All the factors combined make me say the show wasnt enjoyable. Everyone I was with felt the same, but I know lots who reall liked it. I mean, I wot deny the mans voice.

Also, the level of sincerity I feel in his songs just wasn't translated through his personality, IMO. Which makes me think of all the Facebook he posts that are like "this influences me, so if you don't like it, you can't really be a fan". Now that I have a negative taste of his personality shit like that makes me mad.

mjk73

I kind of get what RA is trying to do, which I'm sure is to curtail the awful things we all here have complained about seeing at shows: brahs, non stop fucking talking in the middle of songs, over zealous whatever that dance is called. However I totally see e-winds point. I hate RA and the way he presents himself he comes across as a spoiled rotten dick. I think it's crappy that he has to resort to such harsh measures for a show (fans are totally to blame for that), but he also needs to lighten up. I don't have an issue with the no booze during the actual show. I've actually started cutting way back on how much I'm drinking at shows if I drink at all at them. I have to drive 45 minutes home and that's something I don't want to do impaired. I think if he wants to do these things, he needs to do it in a less douchy way. I don't think anything is ever going to make me like him and extreme restrictions like this sure won't help. Then again, I'm tired of the drunk chit chatty douchbag fans ruining my listening enjoyment. Not sure which is worse.

weeniebeenie

Quote from: dragonboy on Jan 31, 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Jan 31, 2012, 03:17 PM

I really, really wanted to give him another chance after Ashes & Fire but then I read about the whole Neil Finn/Janis Ian thing & now I just dislike him more  :-\
I got so mad when I heard about that. How can you be mean to Neil Finn???
How loud can silence get?

Shug

Quote from: ALady on Jan 26, 2012, 11:49 PM
Omg you guys.  I never post in this thread, but Kathleen Edwards tonight....wow.  I don't love the new album, but she made me a believer.  And she closed with "Mercury" and a cover of "September Gurls".  I'm in love  :-*

That's good to hear, because I don't love the new record either, but am hoping it sounds better live.  and GREAT to hear she is still playing the awesome Mercury, one her best songs, IMO.  Thanks for the report!
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

WSS2

Smith Westerns @ Webster Hall, good times

ALady

Quote from: Shug on Feb 03, 2012, 10:46 AM
Quote from: ALady on Jan 26, 2012, 11:49 PM
Omg you guys.  I never post in this thread, but Kathleen Edwards tonight....wow.  I don't love the new album, but she made me a believer.  And she closed with "Mercury" and a cover of "September Gurls".  I'm in love  :-*

That's good to hear, because I don't love the new record either, but am hoping it sounds better live.  and GREAT to hear she is still playing the awesome Mercury, one her best songs, IMO.  Thanks for the report!

Sweet, when are you seeing her, Shug?

And I agree - Mercury is one of my favorite songs, period.   :beer:

mjk73

Frank Turner - Ace show. Threw in 2 new songs which where fun. That was the most audience participation I've ever seen at a show in a long time. Frank is high energy. Folk Punk with the energy of a metal band. Nothing like actually sitting on the stage and snagged a set list. I would highly recommend you check him out when he rolls through your town. See him while he's in clubs now as that's not going to last long. He'll be in much larger venues soon.

Ruckus

Quote from: mjk73 on Feb 22, 2012, 07:04 AM
Frank Turner - Ace show. Threw in 2 new songs which where fun. That was the most audience participation I've ever seen at a show in a long time. Frank is high energy. Folk Punk with the energy of a metal band. Nothing like actually sitting on the stage and snagged a set list. I would highly recommend you check him out when he rolls through your town. See him while he's in clubs now as that's not going to last long. He'll be in much larger venues soon.
Glad you had a good time man!  And yes, next time around he'll be playing rather large venues.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
Glad you had a good time man!  And yes, next time around he'll be playing rather large venues.
Everyone was singing along, it's kinda required. No tempers, no fights, just a giant folk punk love fest. Fuck, it was great.

mjk73

Quote from: mjk73 on Feb 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 22, 2012, 09:29 AM
Everyone was singing along, it's kinda required. No tempers, no fights, just a giant folk punk love fest. Fuck, it was great.
A review from a good friend of mine that was next to me. I cannot stess how great the show was. And yes, it was insanity on the floor.

http://iwenttoashow.com/2012/02/frank-turner-at-off-broadway-or-thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another/

BH

I was going into the Jane's Addiction show with low expectations and they ended up blowing me away.   It was the first show of the tour but they were tight, Perry sounded great, he was having a good time and the whole thing had tons of energy.   Great show.   Nice setlist mix.   They even turned out the lights and reset the stage for a small acoustic portion in the middle.    There was also quite a show of props, girls and film.  If you were on the fence about going, I'd highly recommend it.

Underground
Mountain Song
Just Because
Been Caught Stealing
Ain't No Right
Ted, Just Admit It
Twisted Tales
Classic Girl
I Would For You  <-- :o 
Jane Says
Irresistible Force (Love this new song)
Three Days  (Monster!!)
Stop

Encore
Words Right Out Of My Mouth
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjk73

I would have gone just to have my brain caved in from Three Days. A couple people at work went and said pretty much the same thing as you.