What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

Sharon Van Etten for 3 nights in a row. Amazing artist.

For JohnnYYac

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

johnnYYac

Thanks Rich.  Always good to see (and hear) some 'chord! 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

FiddleCastro

of course! And if you're interested, you can download the 3rd night from here:
http://networkedblogs.com/uyHlo

Song with Laser Harp is "Magic Chords"
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

johnnYYac

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Feb 29, 2012, 01:47 AM
of course! And if you're interested, you can download the 3rd night from here:
http://networkedblogs.com/uyHlo

Song with Laser Harp is "Magic Chords"

:thumbsup:   :dankk2:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

BH

Saw Rich Robinson last night.   Great show.  His organ player stole the show.   Excellent version of Oh Sweet Nuthin and a War cover that I didn't know but it was great.

Go see him.   He needs the money.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Shug

Quote from: BH on Mar 09, 2012, 05:08 PM
Saw Rich Robinson last night.   Great show.  His organ player stole the show.   Excellent version of Oh Sweet Nuthin and a War cover that I didn't know but it was great.

Go see him.   He needs the money.

;D  And you'll get a great rock show, too!  Rich and his current band and current batch of songs are superb.  He's doing excellent and thoughtfully different covers each night, so you could go see him several nights in a row and getting somewhat different setlists.  Wish he'd come back out West again...
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Sidus

Crippled Black Phoenix last week, I was blown away  :D. ~135 min show (for just 12 euros (~15 dollars or so))

They have been mentioned on this forum several times, but if you don't know them yet and you like some progrock, check them out ;)

A bluesy song of them that I like very much (most of their songs are different than this one though):
CBP - A Suggestion...

dragonboy

Quote from: Sidus on Mar 18, 2012, 12:32 PM
Crippled Black Phoenix last week, I was blown away  :D. ~135 min show (for just 12 euros (~15 dollars or so))

They have been mentioned on this forum several times, but if you don't know them yet and you like some progrock, check them out ;)

A bluesy song of them that I like very much (most of their songs are different than this one though):
CBP - A Suggestion...
So pleased they put on a good show, seeing them in May...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjk73

Quote from: dragonboy on Mar 18, 2012, 04:15 PM

CBP - A Suggestion...
jealous of both of you. Thanks to my brother from a different mother DB, I've discovered these guys. Fucking awesome shit. I wish they were here so I could see them. Yeah, drunk

Ruckus

Quote from: mjk73 on Mar 18, 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote from: dragonboy on Mar 18, 2012, 04:15 PM

CBP - A Suggestion...
jealous of both of you. Thanks to my brother from a different mother DB, I've discovered these guys. Fucking awesome shit. I wish they were here so I could see them. Yeah, drunk
Right up my alley.  Thanks.  Will be checking these guys out.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Saw Joe Fletcher play at a seafood restaurant 3 blocks from my apartment! I have seen him and and his band the wrong reasons a million times but this was a particularly fun night. prob only 6-7 of us there to see him. The acoustics were great and he has improved immensely as a solo artist.

Chatted him up after the 1hr 45 min set! He just got back from SXSW and learned, like Brown Bird and Will Schaff (artist for Okkervil River), he now resides on my street! I have a kick ass street

He played all but 2 songs from White Lighter, several from his first album...He played Crash on the Levee (basement tapes), It Takes a Lot to Laugh (highway 61), and Bottom of the World (Tom Waits), and he covered Johnny Cash and George Jones songs which elude me at the moment.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Fully

wolof7, you do have a kickass street! That sounds like a great night.

I just home from going to see Alabama Shakes play in Huntsville. There was a man in front of me whose son does their lights. He told me that a lot of the band grew up playing in his garage. It was sweet to see how proud he is of them. It was a great show and there were lots of family members and friends there to see them. They were really good. All in all, a good night.

Sassbox

Springsteen last night...phenomenal!

Caught a little private artist showcase by Of Monsters and Men today. It was pretty mellow as the singer proclaimed it their "calm" day. I think they were probably just reserving energy for the sold out show at Black Cat tonight. Regardless, much more enjoyable live than I thought they would be.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Saw Wild Flag last night, and those gals can ROCK. Carrie Brownstein is a guitar god. If you liked Sleater-Kinney, Wild Flag kind of picked up where they left off... huge distorted guitars, catchy hooks, and quite a few spacey jams in the live show.  8)
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 04, 2012, 09:28 AM
Saw Wild Flag last night, and those gals can ROCK. Carrie Brownstein is a guitar god. If you liked Sleater-Kinney, Wild Flag kind of picked up where they left off... huge distorted guitars, catchy hooks, and quite a few spacey jams in the live show.  8)

wait, the Portlandia chick? i'm finally understanding all this now...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 04, 2012, 09:39 AM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 04, 2012, 09:28 AM

wait, the Portlandia chick? i'm finally understanding all this now...

Hahaha yes. Carrie Brownstein is/was a major player in the indie/punk scene in the Pacific NW. She was in Sleater-Kinney until they broke up in 2006. They really went out at the top of their game... their final album "The Woods" is easily one of the best albums of the 2000s. Its so heavy and BIG at some points it is hard to believe its just 3 ladies making all that racket.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

j_rud

Saw Jonny Corndawg and Shovels and Rope last night and the lasting impression I was left with is that the music world is not fair. How such a talented group of musicians can be seen in a half empty room on a Friday night for $12 is almost a shame. Shovels and Rope, who I wasn't familiar with, flat out blew me away.  The group consists of Cary Ann Hearst and Michael Trent. They take turns on guitar and drums, with Trent playing both simultaneously at times. At one point he keeping time on the bass drum, using a morocca on the snare, and strumming a guitar slung around his waist with his free hand. I would go see these guys again in a second.

Corndawg delivered as well. Been waiting to see him for a long time after he showed up during the Middle Brother show and played a few of his tunes in the middle of the Deer Tick set. There's a John Prine-ish quality to his stuff. The lyrics beg you to not take him seriously but the music demands that you do. He played a good bit of Bikini Line and a bunch from his new album, Dad Country. No release date on that one yet...surprise of the night was two Middle Brother tunes (Mom and Dad, Middle Brother) after a shout out to John McCauley. Someone called out "is he here!?!?" to which the 'Dawg responded by placing his hand over his heart and stating "He's in here...he's always in here". He also did 2 songs by Philly musician Jimmy Cousins after announcing (somewhat sadly) that Cousins is out of music now and working construction. Overall a great show and like I said, one that hammers home the point that talent and popularity are often divergent paths when it comes to music.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

br00ke

Quote from: Fully on Mar 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
wolof7, you do have a kickass street! That sounds like a great night.

I just home from going to see Alabama Shakes play in Huntsville. There was a man in front of me whose son does their lights. He told me that a lot of the band grew up playing in his garage. It was sweet to see how proud he is of them. It was a great show and there were lots of family members and friends there to see them. They were really good. All in all, a good night.

so neat you were in h'ville .. that's practically my hometown (decatur actually)  :thumbsup:

br00ke

i don't know why i never post in here since i see shows on a pretty regular / weekly basis, d'oh !!!

friday night i saw War on Drugs in Brooklyn ... they are good (duh). i love their sound but it gets really boring and monotonous after a while. like it all starts to sound the same. there's alot of talent there but there's also alot of growing to do. i usually prefer to see all music live but for the time being i think i prefer listening to them at home  :-\

Fully

Brooke, I just live straight north of Huntsville. It's about an hour fifteen to get there. We always take the kids to Point Mallard in the summer. Decatur has a lot of charm.