What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Just got back from Shabazz Palaces. They were pretty good, but the crowd was probably the worst I've ever seen. Between this and seeing my friend's band 1,2,3 on friday I've had my fill of hipsters for a long time. Seriously, I saw a dude wearing Keds friday for christ's sake. I left the Shabazz Palaces show a little early due to how late the show was running, and not being able to stand looking at the people around me anymore.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

YouAre_GivenToFly

Went to the White Denim show last night.

What a talented group of dudes. A few of their songs have some jam-like qualities to them, but even in a live setting they are still interesting and engaging and never come close to jamming for the sake of jamming. Lots of tempo changes kept things interesting, and the crowd was awesome. They make it look so easy, incredible musicianship. Their sound was amazing too, sounded just like their records, despite playing through a few tiny mic'd amps. Proof that tone is in the fingers of the guitarist, not the gear.

White Denim 'Burnished' live at The Ghost Room
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

johnnYYac

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 12, 2012, 09:19 AM
Went to the White Denim show last night.

What a talented group of dudes. A few of their songs have some jam-like qualities to them, but even in a live setting they are still interesting and engaging and never come close to jamming for the sake of jamming. Lots of tempo changes kept things interesting, and the crowd was awesome. They make it look so easy, incredible musicianship. Their sound was amazing too, sounded just like their records, despite playing through a few tiny mic'd amps. Proof that tone is in the fingers of the guitarist, not the gear.

White Denim 'Burnished' live at The Ghost Room
Thanks, YAGTF!  I've never paid any attention to White Denim but your excellent concise review convinced me to play the YouTube clip and I am impressed!  I need another band to get into like I need a hole in the head, but will definitely check 'em out.  :thumbsup:
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

vespachick

White Denim RULES.  I've seen them now 3 times.  They just get better and better. The first time the bass player was manning their merch table, though I didn't know it at the time, I kept telling him that old farts (like me) would snap up posters if they had any, then he gave me a free LP for being such a nerd.  Next show, waddya know: posters! (though they were ugly and so I didn't get one; he missed the point entirely of "art poster").
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: vespachick on Apr 12, 2012, 01:05 PM
White Denim RULES.  I've seen them now 3 times.  They just get better and better. The first time the bass player was manning their merch table, though I didn't know it at the time, I kept telling him that old farts (like me) would snap up posters if they had any, then he gave me a free LP for being such a nerd.  Next show, waddya know: posters! (though they were ugly and so I didn't get one; he missed the point entirely of "art poster").

;D

I was at the venue's bar during their opener last night, hanging right next to him... also didn't know who he was at the time... just thought he was a dude in a hat.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Crispy

Heartless Bastards at Cain's last night! They only sold about 70 tickets, so it was in the little side room and that was kind of a bummer, but the teeny crowd meant a close-up show, which was WAY awesome. A couple of pics:

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ManNamedTruth

Deer Tick, with Turbo Fruits, and Viking Moses.
Viking Moses might be the worst band I've ever seen, totally pathetic. The lead singer was way too in love with himself. Deer Tick and Turbo Fruits exceeded my expectations however. I wasn't familiar with Turbo Fruits but I was very impressed, you can't go wrong with a band from Nashville either. Deer Tick was way better than I could've imagined them to be. They only played a couple songs from Born on Flag Day, witch I'm most familiar with, but the quality of playing the whole night and the covers we got more than made up for that. Great covers of Replacements' Bastards of Young and Beatles' One After 909, as well as the band playing tribute to Levon Helm made for a special night. I'm glad I won tickets for this show since I might not have went otherwise, I would gladly pay to see either band next time they come.

Turbo Fruits - Mama's Mad Cos I Fried My Brain music video

headhunter

Saw Bob Dylan last night at the inaugural opening of The Capitol Theater in Port Chester NY (rumor has it some other band will be playing there for 3 nights in late December).

Anyway, Bob was in rare form. Played the Piano most of the night (very little guitar) and lots of Harmonica.  His band was great and Bob seemed (dare I say) happy.
You could actually understand the words although most songs were completely rearranged.

Anyway, some of the songs he played were:

Love minus zero
Things have changed
Tangled up in blue
Tweddly dum and tweedly dee
Shooting star
Visions of johanna
Highway 61
Ballad of a thin man
Like a rolling stone
All along the watchtower
Blowing in the wind

Anyway, the theater is GORGEOUS and the acoustics were terrific.  Balcony holds about 800 people and the floor is all GA with capacity of about 1000.  Terrific Venue.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

kasedoug

After seeing MMJ three nights in a row at the Wiltern, I went back to the Wiltern for a fourth consecutive night to see The Hives.

Where the My Morning Jacket shows were rockin', majestic, and psychedelic, The Hives just bowl you over with their bravado. Fun week at the Wiltern!

FiddleCastro

The Jayhawks w/ Nicole Atkins at Williamsburg Park. Great show, Nicole's voice is as good as ever, made people pay attention during "The Way It Is"  The Jayhawks, however were completely impressive and blew me away. I wasn't expecting much but they vastly exceeded my expectations  :thumbsup:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

LD

Shug and I traveled down to Tucson on Wednesday to see Wilco!  They don't come to AZ that often,  so it's hard to pass it up even given I had ACL reconstruction surgery that morning.  Thank god for oxycontin and primo handicapped seating (5th row just off center stage) to get me through!! Not one of my favorite Wilco shows, but happy to see them nonetheless!!  :cheesy: :grin:
It's too late to play it safe so let's let it all ride

Dillsnufus

I went to see Wye Oak at the Brighton Music Hall Last Wednesday. Great Show but the sound engineer had the vocals a little too low. I was in front of course. :cool:

Hot as Day - Wye Oak (Live at Brighton Music Hall)
Gazziza My Dillsnufus

ManNamedTruth

Saw Dr. Dog last saturday with Cotton Jones opening. Came in late for Cotton Jones, I stayed at the back by the bar and didn't give them my full attention, but they sounded OK. Dr. Dog was great, and pretty loud. It's been awhile since I've seen them and forgot how different they're songs sound live. I got caught by security hitting a bowl during The Ark, but they let me back in after a brief conversation outside. They even let me keep my friend's bowl. I've done it at this venue before numerous times, but I think they were more sensitive to the goings-on with it being an all ages show, and the fact that some girl passed out while we were in line. The show was all around pretty nuts, this kid near us was dancing very spastically and bumping into my friends. I managed to have a good time despite a few set backs, and hope to catch the Dog again soon. I didn't get to hear some of my favorite Be the Void tracks like Big Girl, Vampire, and Warrior Man, but still pretty happy with the setlist:

How Long Must I Wait
Stranger
That Old Black Hole
Hang On
Do The Trick
The Ark
The Rabbit, The Bat, and The Reindeer
Alaska
Heavy Light
I Only Wear Blue
These Days
Black-Red
The Beach
The Way the Lazy Do
Shame, Shame
Shadow People
Heart It Races
Lonesome

Encore:
Turning the Century
Worst Trip
Jackie Wants a Black Eye
My Friend

paloozajam

i saw the offspring at terminal 5 last weds...big ISO on my concert bucket list ever since americana came out when i was in middle school.  great songs,  no stage presence, only played for 90 min...not like PJ / DMB / MMJ...but im glad they're not

Setlist:
1. Hurting as One
2. All I Want
3. Come Out and Play
4. Days Go By
5. Have You Ever
6. Staring at the Sun
7. Turning Into You
8. Bad Habit
9. Gotta Get Away
10. OC Guns
11. Gone Away (with Dead Sara)
12. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
13. Why Don't You Get a Job?
14. Slim Pickens Does the Right Thing and Rides the Bomb to Hell
15. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
16. Pretty Fly (for a White Guy)
17. The Kids Aren't Alright

Encore:
18. Americana
19. (Can't Get My) Head Around You
20. Self Esteem

parkervb

Quote from: kasedoug on Sep 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
After seeing MMJ three nights in a row at the Wiltern, I went back to the Wiltern for a fourth consecutive night to see The Hives.

Where the My Morning Jacket shows were rockin', majestic, and psychedelic, The Hives just bowl you over with their bravado. Fun week at the Wiltern!

fucking love The Hives live. Pelle is bombastic in the very best way.
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

Jack White tonight at the Charlottesville Pavilion!  Going solo with 2+ hour drive but it's Jackie White.  Can't wait.

weeniebeenie

Saw Oh Mercy at The Standard in Sydney on
Saturday, good stuff.

How loud can silence get?

Crispy

The Head and the Heart at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa last night, with Bryan John Appleby (beautiful stuff) and Blitzen Trapper (meh) opening. 

Great show, it's always fun to see bands like these at the Cain's, though I could stand for it to have been on Friday or Saturday night.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

e_wind

Just went to Starry Nights Music Festival in Bowling Green, KY. It was my fourth and final fest of the year  :cry:

First, I saw some really bad regional bands on Friday night. One band, Five Knives, was straight up Sleigh Bells, which makes me want to kill myself.

Saturday I saw...

Space Capone. A funk band whos singer sounds like MJ. It was pretty awesome.
JEFF the Brotherhood Not as much energy as I'm used to these guys having, but it was a JEFF show none the less. And awesome. The leader singer is so awkwardly funny.
Justin Townes Earle - Only half his set. Good shit. Definitely wish I woulv've checked him out earlier in my life
Manchester Orchrestra - I basically listened to them from afar. They have some good tunes, but all in all its not for me.

PORTUGAL. THE MAN - The show of the weekend. I can't believe I've never bothered with this band. They tore it up. It was awesome.

Cage the Elephant - ugh. why does this band get so hyped? I've seen them twice - STarry Nights '10 and Starry Nights '12. They've gotten worse. It's like nirvana all over again. make it stop.
Moon Taxi - everyone i was with hyped these dudes up all fucking week. way too poppy for me. I was waiting for a Maroon 5 guest appearence.

Also, last weekend I went to Music Midtown.
Avett Brothers - pretty good.
Civil Twilight - okay.
Garbage - The worst
Ludacris - I hate having to wait at a stage all day when I have to see Garbage and Ludacris back to back. fuck
Florence and the Machine - not bad. kinda boring, but pretty.
Pearl Jam - amazing, obviously.

don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

parkervb

@e_wind

really looking forward to Portugal. The. Man. this weekend at FreeFest.  Glad to hear they killed.

JTE is a cool m'fer.  I've only seem him once and it was just him and his acoustic.  He said his drummer was stuck in an airport and his fiddle player was getting arrested so it was just him.  Too funny, but his solo performance was reminiscent of what you read about old blues performers where they stomped the stage or knocked their guitar for the "rhythm" parts.  Plus there was only like 200 people max there.