What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Saw Drive-By Truckers with Glossary last night. Glossary was a pretty solid, straight forward rock band, solid opener for sure. DBT came on pretty late but made up for it by playing nearly two hours. It was the first time I saw them with the new bass player, what a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed young man he is! Huge smile on his face the whole night, it was if he had won a contest to play with his favorite band. Seriously though he did sound pretty good on the bass. This was probably my favorite DBT show I've seen yet, awesome setlist and at one of my favorite venues. Theaters are nice and all, but it's so much better to move around and rock out a bit. The only problem was the drunk girl near me - yelled at them to play something faster during an acoustic song, continuously bumped into me forcing me to move to a different spot, made two more people near her move as well, and then proceed to text or tweet or whatever the hell she was doing on her phone for like 3 songs straight. Highlight was Patterson Hood changing the lyrics up a bit in Puttin' People on the Moon, threw in a "mother-fucking Mitt Romney" in there to an applause.  Bought a sweet October tour poster with a Witch and cauldron on it, I dig the dude who does all their artwork.

Setlist:
The Buford Stick
Get Downtown
Road Cases
Gravity's Gone
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Puttin People on the Moon
Cartoon Gold
Box of Spiders
A Ghost to Most
The Opening Act
Women Without Whiskey
Dead Drunk and Naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Lookout Mountain
Self-Destructive Zones
The Company I Keep
Marry Me
Hell No I Ain't Happy
Encore:
Birthday Boy
Let There Be Rock
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Fully

So Penny was being obnoxious last night?

headhunter

Quote from: Fully on Oct 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
So Penny was being obnoxious last night?

Penny won't tweet during a dbt show.  That girl knows how to rock out!  Wish I was there.

LOVE those DBT boys.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

Fully

No, she wouldn't. But she might get a little crazy.

MrWhippy

Bummed that I missed DBT doing Uncle Frank last night, but looks like they saved Shut Up and Get on the Plane and Angels and Fuselage for me for tonight.   :evil:
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

MrWhippy

Ended up getting all three of my biggest wishes for Drive-By Truckers songs that I mentioned above (Uncle Frank, Shut Up and Get on the Plane, and Angels and Fuselage).  And, got to take in a DBT show next to miss Penny Lane!  Great night.

Jeff Murray

Saw the Deftones on Friday night with Scars On Broadway in Baltimore.  Great show, great mix of old and new and even brand new!  Scars on Broadway were a great opener, wish they would have played a wee bit longer though.  Got a special guest as well with HR from Bad Brains coming on stage to sing "Right Brigade", as well as helping out with "Bored" during the encore.  The venue was packed, scalpers didn't even have tickets, so the fans got the tickets which was nice... I'm just glad I got up in the VIP area because those pits were pretty active, and that's a young man's game! 

Myself and my friends had a blast at this show... kinda bummed I missed the System of a Down/Deftones tour over the summer!

Diamond Eyes
        Rocket Skates
        You've Seen the Butcher
        Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
        My Own Summer (Shove It)
        Poltergeist
        Rosemary
        Feiticeira
        Digital Bath
        Knife Prty
        Tempest
        Fireal
        (First part only)
        Engine No. 9
        Right Brigade
        (Bad Brains cover) (with H.R.)
        Rivière
        (Dedicated to Chi Cheng; no outro)
        Change (In the House of Flies)
        Passenger
        Bloody Cape

Encore:
        Bored
        (with H.R.)
        Root
        7 Words

Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

MrWhippy

Saw Leonard Cohen last night in Austin, and it was amazing.  He played two sets, amounting to about 3 hours and 15 minutes of music.  He just oozes class, and the new songs he played were some of the highlights of the night.

Mr. White

Quote from: MrWhippy on Nov 02, 2012, 09:33 AM
Saw Leonard Cohen last night in Austin, and it was amazing.  He played two sets, amounting to about 3 hours and 15 minutes of music.  He just oozes class, and the new songs he played were some of the highlights of the night.

Here are a couple of videos from his Isle of Wight set back in 1970.

Suzanne (from "Live At The Isle of Wight 1970")

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong (from "Live At The Isle of Wigh...

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

walterfredo

The Sea and Cake. Kicked ass!

manonthemoon

Just spent two days seeing Red Fang, Black Tusk, and Lord Dying.  The amount of energy at these two shows were amazing. 
Alive or Just Breathing

Jeff Murray

Quote from: manonthemoon on Nov 11, 2012, 02:34 PM
Just spent two days seeing Red Fang, Black Tusk, and Lord Dying.  The amount of energy at these two shows were amazing.

Was at the Philly show.  Really disappointed that Indian Handcrafts couldn't make it.  Red Fang killed it.  Wasn't a big fan of Lord Dying and Black Tusk, not saying they aren't good, just not to my liking.  It was my first show at Underground Arts, interesting new venue, reminded me of a college party but with a great band!  I'm glad I wore some earplugs for this one, first show I've done this for, being in a basement and such a small venue my ears would have been wrecked without them.  Stayed in the back for the openers but made our way to the left side for Red Fang.  The pit was very active and respectable, I saw one of the longest crowd surfs ever as one guys went from the front of the stage to the back of the of the room and back to the front.

Also caught Reignwolf at Ortlieb's Friday night.  A great show but seemed like it was cut short.  He hurt his hand so I'm guessing that was the reason, a lot of people stuck around for more just like we did.  He played great while he did, definitely a new one to watch in the future.  He brings a blues rock sound ala White Stripes and early Black Keys.  Ortlieb's is an odd venue as the "viewing area" is only about 6 feet deep in front of the stage... the venue was narrow and the stage was on the long side. 

Overall great road trip to Philly!  Next up a hometown show with Tedeschi Trucks Band on the 30th.

manonthemoon

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Nov 11, 2012, 07:43 PM

Was at the Philly show.  Really disappointed that Indian Handcrafts couldn't make it.  Red Fang killed it.  Wasn't a big fan of Lord Dying and Black Tusk, not saying they aren't good, just not to my liking.  It was my first show at Underground Arts, interesting new venue, reminded me of a college party but with a great band!  I'm glad I wore some earplugs for this one, first show I've done this for, being in a basement and such a small venue my ears would have been wrecked without them.  Stayed in the back for the openers but made our way to the left side for Red Fang.  The pit was very active and respectable, I saw one of the longest crowd surfs ever as one guys went from the front of the stage to the back of the of the room and back to the front.

Also caught Reignwolf at Ortlieb's Friday night.  A great show but seemed like it was cut short.  He hurt his hand so I'm guessing that was the reason, a lot of people stuck around for more just like we did.  He played great while he did, definitely a new one to watch in the future.  He brings a blues rock sound ala White Stripes and early Black Keys.  Ortlieb's is an odd venue as the "viewing area" is only about 6 feet deep in front of the stage... the venue was narrow and the stage was on the long side. 

Overall great road trip to Philly!  Next up a hometown show with Tedeschi Trucks Band on the 30th.

Glad to see you made it out, I was actually up at the very front right by the right microphone for all three sets on the right side, right outside of the pit area.  It was pretty crazy, but I have seen worse, the guy with the busted up forehead was classic.
Alive or Just Breathing

Jeff Murray

Quote from: manonthemoon on Nov 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
Quote from: Jeff Murray on Nov 11, 2012, 07:43 PM

Glad to see you made it out, I was actually up at the very front right by the right microphone for all three sets on the right side, right outside of the pit area.  It was pretty crazy, but I have seen worse, the guy with the busted up forehead was classic.

Ha!  Yeah I saw him.  My buddy asked if I felt out of place without a beard!  I tried!  I had stubble at least from Friday!!   :embarrassed:

FiddleCastro

last night at Glasslands Gallery (first show in my week off containing 3 shows):

Lady Lamb The Beekeeper  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  :shocked:
Loved her set. Great voice. Here's a video of her performing the really awesome acapella she opened with that certainly got my attention:
Lady Lamb The Beekeeper - Up In The Rafters/Regarding Ascending The Stairs (Live)

and Kaki King  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
My favorite guitarist! Got my guitar signed by her, which is totes cool. Always an amazing show. Here's a video of her from her 2010 tour when she had a full band. She's playing solo now and she's still phenomenal, but I freaking love this video so i'm posting it.

Kaki King - Doing the Wrong Thing/My Nerves That Committed Suicide (live)

I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

FiddleCastro

The Who doing Quadrophenia last night at Barclays Center. Amazing.

The Who - Sea and Sand - Barclays Center 11/14/12

FiddleCastro

My week off concluded with Sharon Van Etten at Town Hall. Absolutely phenomenal.

Ryan Pickett was doing the sound. When Sharon said that I thought "no way i totally heard that wrong" turned around and he was at the soundboard. Pretty awesome  :cool:

wolof7

Last night I caught Gypsyhawk, Eagle Claw and the Sword at the Met in RI.

Awesome show!

Gypsyhawk was a fun opener harkening the 70's heyday rock, they also covered the befitting "Rock n Roll Hootchie Coo." They were a lot of fun with choreographed guitar charges and looked nearly identical to Spinal Tap which was pretty great

Eagle Claw was a surprise. I not find any of their music to listen to before the show. Instrumental metal from Austin much in the vein of Russian Circles and some Barroness. The pit picked up mid-set and didn't relent. I really recommend them.

The Sword - Great, loving Apocryphon. I have to say the lead singer really looks like he gives it all up there. The Sword gets a lot of crap for being a retro hipster metal band but they are so much fun and for me a retro dual guitar attack with some major riffage and science-fiction themes will never get old.

I also stood next to the 2 members of Brown Bird (a local fav) and bought them beers, I guess they are both really into metal, they said "we fucking love the Sword" who woulda known?

Great show
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

manonthemoon

Saw And You will know us by the trail of dea at Rock and Roll in DC.  Awesome show, huge set list, the band was playing in crowd, getting people up on stage, the whole bit.  I also like how they switch instruments throughout the show with multiple drummers, different guitarists, etc.  Always blown away by these guys when I see them live, sometime I forget just how good they are.
Alive or Just Breathing

wolof7

I went to a local re-opening of a theatre in Providence. All local bands played:

The Sugar Honey Iced Tea: 4 ladies with beautiful harmonies, singing in a Carter Family old-timey style, comprised of guitar, banjo, ukelele, kick drum. Great set, these ladies having amazing vocals...very fun set.

The Barr Brothers: (Brad and Andrew originate from Prov) Truly one of the most amazing sets I've seen in a long while. I always talk up the Slip on here their now defunct jazzy-jam turned indie-post-rock band but this band has truly come into its own. Brad and Andrew are prodigies on the guitar and drums and their set was at times atmospheric, heartfelt, bluesy and rockin! Everyone needs to see them.

Brown Bird: a set comprised of mostly new songs. Good set not their best. The new stuff is pretty much standard BB. Unfortunately their strength as a duo lends to their weakness that songs come off sounding too samey at times and putting them after the transcendent Barr Brothers set was not the best idea lineup-wise.

The Low Anthem: It's hard to describe this set. This band announced after the end of their lengthy Smart Flesh tour that they were gonna be exploring new territory. The set opened with 4 tracks from Smart Flesh: Matter of Time, Burn, Smart Flesh, Ghost Woman Blues. Almost all of these versions were reworked to fit the new guitarist and multi-instrumentalist. Ben switched from acoustic to a telecaster and Smart Flesh and Burn in particular were exhilerating as they reached the climax of eaches slow build.

The next 4-5 songs, soundscapes, rough sketches all come from the recording sessions started at that very theater they have converted into a studio and it was unreal. First and foremost the lights were dimmed and Ben introduced the new songs of needing to be played under "moth-light" which was a carosel of cloth moth figures illuminated by colored pulsating light, spinning at various speeds and raised 10 feet above the stage which took on a cartoon-like hallucinating, disorienting and astounding effect.

This mini-set opened with a 5 minute atmospheric soundscape which set the mood and was almost Sigur Ros quality of ambient music. From what I can remember of the songs, 3 were loud (ben on the telecaster) but in a Low Anthem way. The amps were turned way up and the music had a hard momentum but again the songs themselves were Low Anthem quality but different than anything they have ever done. The new guitarist made sounds I've never heard from a guitar. The one slower track and only one they announced the name for is called "The night of the great air hockey fire." Ben stated that the new material is inspired by a summer in his youth when a neighborhood kid was abducted and his best friend's house burned down. The music was disorienting, at times confusing and the band is obviously trying to find it's footing with the material, I loved pretty much all of it. It is different for them and as stated takes on a Sigur Ros and also Arcade Fire style and that is the best comparisons i can make. The crowd did not always respond lovingly to the new stuff but I was entranced and am very excited to how it comes along.

They closed with This goddamed house, played a cover "homegrown" w/ Joe Fletcher and  a new song written that day with all the other local bands called "I wish I could be Ozzie Smith," which was a fun, standard rock n roll sing-a-long tune which traded vocals between Jeff from the Low Anthem and Joe Fletcher.

Finally, Joe Fletcher and the Wrong Reasons played a surprise midnight set which was smoking in typical WR fashion. The new guitarist is amazing and absolutely blew me away on one of my favorite tracks "Womanizer Blues."

Great show.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee