What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alienlanes

Saturday night I saw a band called BLUE COUPE - the Bouchard brothers from the original Blue Oyster Cult and Dennis Dunaway, founding member of the original Alice Cooper Band and co-writer of "School's Out", etc. They do BOC and Cooper classics and a few new songs too. It's a fun night out.

On Wednesday Corrosion of Conformity and Royal Thunder played a show here that was excellent too. I saw COC last year at Maryland Death Fest, but it was my first time seeing Atlanta's Royal Thunder, who are an excellent metal/grunge band. Their CVI album is my favourite record so far this year. Their singer, MIny Parsons, has an incredible voice. She is just amazing live.

MarkW

Rodrigo y Gabriela last night in Manchester.  They're ridiculously talented, and are a must-see if they're passing your way.

Rodrigo y Gabriela "Tamacun" live @ Eurockéennes
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

LBSUNFLWR

I saw Wax Fang at Headliner's in Louisville last weekend! Fun band to see live!!

Next up: Jason Isbell!!

Fully

Saw Om last night in Nashville. Amazing music that takes you on a journey like no other band I've ever seen. I was really impressed with the musicianship of this trio. They have a sound that just , well, it just makes it hard to believe that there are only three guys up on stage. The bass player gets sounds out of his bass that made me awestruck that a bass could sound that way, the drummer is just unbelievably badass, and the guy that sits at the table (I have no other way to really describe what the hell he does over there - something involving samplers or I really don't know all the while either playing guitar, tambourine, and/or singing as if he's a sufi high priest up on a minaret) It's very heady music that takes you into a zone/trace state. If you ever get a chance to see them, check them out. It's not like anything I've ever seen before, but it was really good. Also, big thanks to Ruckus for introducing me to this band.

Angelo

I saw Conor Oberst in Philly a couple of weeks ago. Solo mainly but he brought out a female vocalist and another dude on guitar and xylophone for a handful of songs. He played Map of the World. We were third row and it was an awesome fucking show. Daniel Johnston opened which I could take or leave to be honest. Thought they would have played Devil Town together or something but they didn't.

MarkW

I saw Elbow last night in Liverpool.  The Manchester miserablists put on a great show.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Penny Lane

Quote from: MarkW on Nov 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
I saw Elbow last night in Liverpool.  The Manchester miserablists put on a great show.

Love em! Glad to hear it...would love a new album...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Murph

Kurt Vile opened for Dinosaur Jr.  last night at Terminal 5.  First hour they played You're Living All Over Me from front to back, it was loud and awesome.  Next hour and a half they played songs from Bug, Beyond, Farm and I Bet on Sky.  Guests included Kurt Vile, Lee Ranaldo, Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Frank Black, Kevin Drew, Johnny Marr, and a guy from the Melvins.  Such a great show

ralph

Quote from: Murph on Dec 02, 2012, 05:19 PM
Kurt Vile opened for Dinosaur Jr.  last night at Terminal 5.  First hour they played You're Living All Over Me from front to back, it was loud and awesome.  Next hour and a half they played songs from Bug, Beyond, Farm and I Bet on Sky.  Guests included Kurt Vile, Lee Ranaldo, Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore, Frank Black, Kevin Drew, Johnny Marr, and a guy from the Melvins.  Such a great show

That sounds fucking awesome. I assume Lee sang his part on Little Fury Things? Man, I'd kill to hear all of You're Living All Over Me...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Murph

Quote from: ralph on Dec 02, 2012, 06:38 PM
Quote from: Murph on Dec 02, 2012, 05:19 PM

That sounds fucking awesome. I assume Lee sang his part on Little Fury Things? Man, I'd kill to hear all of You're Living All Over Me...

Yea Lee was the only one that came out during the first set.  The show really was something special.  This was my first time seeing Dinosaur Jr, I had always heard how loud they were (which is certainly true), but you never hear just how fucking amazing they are live.  They've been doing this a long time obviously and are definitely masters of their craft, they had the entire place ROCKing out for well over 2 hours.  I could listen to J. Mascis shred on guitar for days.  All the guests just added to it.  I don't know what song they played with Kim Gordon, but it was the definite highlight.  Jesus Christ that woman can scream her lungs out.  Fred Armisen from SNL and Portlandia played drums on a song also, that was pretty cool and completely random haha.  I love Kurt Vile also and him and the Violators murdered it, they definitely made some new fans last night.  Man what a great show

Jeff Murray

Had a nice little run of shows over the last week! 

11/30 Tedeschi Trucks Band
12/05 Trampled By Turtles
12/06 The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band

Tedeschi Trucks Band was great.  My only selfish complaint is that I wish the other members of the band weren't given so many solos, I'd rather hear Susan or Derek solo much more than the guy on keyboards. 

Trampled By Turtles were great as usual.  This is one band you want to get in early so you can get a spot to see, at least at Ram's Head Live in Bmore.  Plus the opener Spirit Family Reunion was really good and a pleasant surprise.  These guys rocked the place full of Bluegrass, the music kind, not the other kind... 

The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band is highly recommended if they are playing a venue near you.  Great Blues Slide guitar accompanied with drums and washboard.  This was the second band in two nights featuring a washboard, although Breezy's gets so hot it catches fire!  The Rev has some great stories and just plays the hell out of the guitar all night long.  Most of their songs are upbeat for those  that like to shake the hips a little bit...

Now I am on a hiatus until the Port Chester shows....   :cry:
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

getupwithit

Neil Young & Crazyhorse in Philly. Same setlist all tour tho encore got Like A Hurricane as opposed to Roll Another Number.

Love And Only Love
Powderfinger
Born In Ontario
Walk Like A Giant
The Needle And The Damage Done
Twisted Road
Singer Without A Song
Ramada Inn
Cinnamon Girl
F*!#in' Up
Mr. Soul
Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
Encore:
Like A Hurricane

FiddleCastro

Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Union Pool in Brooklyn, for those who don't know the capacity there is 74. Absolutely awesome show, Karen O screaming lyrics in my face and whatnot! Anyone who knows me knows this was totally a dream show for me  :cool:

Taken by someone not me:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs "Art Star" Live at Union Pool Brooklyn NY in HD 12/8/2012
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

MrWhippy

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.  Perfection, except for the timing of the set (midnight to 1:30 AM on a Sunday night/Monday morning).
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

MarkW

Orbital at Brixton Academy last night.  Great sound and visuals, with a lot of old favourites played.  My aching legs and back this morning are a reminder that I'm not 25 anymore...

MMPJ6306

I saw the Stones in Newark on Thursday. I guess I was expecting the worst because Mick and Keith sounded way better than I imagined they would. There was nothing that could have kept me from loving this show though. I had better love it anyway, considering the price....... I wish they dug a little deeper/switched up their sets each time but it was fun to see nothing but greatest hits and they did a crazy version of a Chuck Berry song I had never heard; which is sort of perfect for them on this big anniversary.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

LBSUNFLWR

Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
Friday 12-15-2012
Lexington, KY

pretty fuckin awesome:

1.Go It Alone
2.Tour of Duty
3.Decoration Day
4.Goddamn Lonely Love
5.Try (with No Quarter teases)
6.Streetlights
7.Heart on a String (Candi Staton cover)
8.Hey Pocky A-Way (The Meters cover)
9.In A Razor Town
10.Alabama Pines
11.The Magician
12.Outfit
13.Never Gonna Change (with Stone Free snippet)
14.Codeine
15.Dress Blues

Encore
16.Danko/Manuel
17.Like a Hurricane (Neil Young cover)

FiddleCastro

School of Seven Bells at Roosevelt Field Mall
Preservation Hall at Tilles Center at Long Island University
Speck Mountain, She Keeps Bees, and a not-so-secret special guest, Sharon Van Etten at Cameo Gallery

Three great shows, but the Sharon show was super special, and the most fun show I've been to in a while.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/12/surprise_guest.html
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Crispy

Carl!  :cheesy:

Carl's set opening for Trampled by Turtles was fantastic! It sounded like he might have been doing some different intros, and Questions went deep into some heaviness at the end, and there was a new tune, Sleepy Lagoon! Which was AWESOME, he sequenced some great aaaaaahhh vocal harmonies with some Doozie guitar and layered on some Gilmour-style pedal steel that blew my mind (he's "still working on the ending"). TbT joined him for a beautiful Carried Away, and then Carl joined them for two of their tunes which I cannot name. Great show! But gee whiz, I can't believe they didn't play Happy Together...
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"