What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

bluesky

what game will you play with those? i got these cards for two of my siblings at christmas:

http://www.polyvore.com/cb2_see_through_poker_face/thing?id=67157453

Crispy

Quote from: bluesky on Mar 14, 2013, 10:51 AM
what game will you play with those? i got these cards for two of my siblings at christmas:

http://www.polyvore.com/cb2_see_through_poker_face/thing?id=67157453

Those things are wacky! I'll use my new cards at the next poker game, but I think I'll leave them at home for the games of Asshole we've been having at the bar during Happy Hour lately.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 14, 2013, 10:23 AM
I saw They Might Be Giants in Tulsa last night. The band was great, the boys were funny and having a good time, noting a couple times how much they liked playing at the Cain's, they did a nutty sock puppet show and a few Bob Wills-style calls, and rocked out.

The crowd, however, was one of the strangest I'd ever seen, and I don't mean strange people. There was a line of about 50 people to get in an hour before doors, which I thought seemed pretty normal, even though there had not been significant lines for other recent shows, like Tame Impala or Drive-by Truckers. And the room was only half full by the time everybody got in! So I didn't get up front, but still had a good spot in the middle about 5 people back. I figured I'd be behind the bunch of hardcore TMBG crazies and would have a great time. But when the show got going, it was like the crowd was reversed! EVERYBODY up front was suffering from what I am now calling Hipster Statue Syndrome, which causes the afflicted to lose the ability to display any sort of amusement or indication that they are having fun. Meanwhile, the entire crowd surrounding us was dancing and jumping and having a ball. I DO NOT GET IT. It's TMBG, not the fucking Antlers or Low or something!

Especially infuriating were the extremely cool hipster teenagers directly in front of me who were dressed to the nines in their old-fashioned finery, the boy with fancy white shirt and suspenders, the girl in a lovely dress and hat with pearls, their friend also in a funky getup with an old fuzzy hat. They were obviously fans, both girls noting the setlist in their teeny noteboooks. Fun kids, right? NO. No dancing, no jumping, no waving, clapping, or smiling. When the crowd got amped up with Birdhouse, of course a large jumpy man had to barrel his way up right next to fancy hipster boy and bumped him pretty good and yelled stupid things. Yeah, I know that sucks, but get over it, which is what the rest of us around him did, and stayed out of jumpy's way as much as we could, or jumped around with him and enjoyed the show. These kids not only scowled at (and elbowed) him, but heaped their disdain upon the rest of the crowd too, and I had to move back, as they and the rest of the statuary up front were wrecking the show for me. Bizarro Rock Show Crowd. I got a record and the awesomest deck of cards ever seen.

suspenders, check! old timey hat, check! that sounds like a Williamsburg crowd! seems like they're starting to dress steampunk now? and yes, movement is so very 2010 at concerts..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

dmooney99

Django Django last week.  Fun/energetic show at The Union Transfer in philly

weeniebeenie

Bruce Springsteen. Good lord! He was so good, the E Street Band were amazing, it was just a really great show. :smiley:
How loud can silence get?

MrWhippy

I saw Sigur Ros for the first time a couple nights ago in DC. Absolutely stunning and unlike any show I've seen before.  It's hard to even put the feeling of seeing them live into words. 

I don't know if I can ever remember in my life the feelings of peace and tranquility that I felt after that show.  Lasted 5 minutes or so and then I was back to my dark, cynical self.

If you have a chance to see them, don't pass it up.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 26, 2013, 06:14 AM
I saw Sigur Ros for the first time a couple nights ago in DC. Absolutely stunning and unlike any show I've seen before.  It's hard to even put the feeling of seeing them live into words. 

I don't know if I can ever remember in my life the feelings of peace and tranquility that I felt after that show.  Lasted 5 minutes or so and then I was back to my dark, cynical self.

sounds awesome. I get a little of that feeling even playing them on CD.

I have a friend who is a massage therapist and plays their music while she gives massages. perfect for that.

Crispy

Wow, an un-dark, un-cynical Mr. Whippy? That I'd like to see, even more than Sigur Ros! No, wait, I don't want to see that.  :wink:

MrWhippy

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 26, 2013, 09:23 AM

Wow, an un-dark, un-cynical Mr. Whippy? That I'd like to see, even more than Sigur Ros! No, wait, I don't want to see that.  :wink:

Well, given that I'm seeing Sigur Ros again next month at Coachella, you would have another brief window to experience Mr. Whippy at peace. 
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Shug

Yay!  I'm finally going to see Sigur Ros live in a few weeks, I've never got the chance yet.  Glad to hear such a good review.  Can't wait to chill out into their particular brand of blissfulness, at least that's what I'm imagining.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Crispy

Quote from: MrWhippy on Mar 26, 2013, 05:01 PM
Quote from: Crispy on Mar 26, 2013, 09:23 AM

Well, given that I'm seeing Sigur Ros again next month at Coachella, you would have another brief window to experience Mr. Whippy at peace.

Man, yet another place I need to be. I DO want to see Mr. TranquilWhippyPeace! Stupid work and life obligations!  :tongue:

ManNamedTruth

Saw Frightened Rabbit with Wintersleep last night. I give the show an -A as it got better as it went. Best part of the show was Acts of Man, they had the strobe lights going ala It Beats 4 U. The singer is just getting over a throat infection so this was his "first sober show in a long time".
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Crispy

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Mar 30, 2013, 09:25 PM
Saw Frightened Rabbit with Wintersleep last night. I give the show an -A as it got better as it went. Best part of the show was Acts of Man, they had the strobe lights going ala It Beats 4 U. The singer is just getting over a throat infection so this was his "first sober show in a long time".

How was Wintersleep? I'm pretty meh about Frightened Rabbit, but I fuggin' love those Nova Scotians. That's one of those shows I would go to for the opener, and maybe stick around for the main act.

FiddleCastro

Sharon Van Etten and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, 3 nights in a row. Absolutely incredible shows by both artists.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Crispy on Mar 30, 2013, 09:54 PM
Quote from: ManNamedTruth on Mar 30, 2013, 09:25 PM

How was Wintersleep? I'm pretty meh about Frightened Rabbit, but I fuggin' love those Nova Scotians. That's one of those shows I would go to for the opener, and maybe stick around for the main act.

I thought they were pretty good. Not overly impressed but nothing bad to say.

LBSUNFLWR

Saw Grizzly Bear in Louisville last night. Not really my favorite kind of music, but they sure are talented and put on a great show. Great voices and really nice harmonies, plus their stage set-up and lights were awesome. And it was at the beautiful Brown Theater!

alienlanes

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Mar 31, 2013, 01:04 AM
Sharon Van Etten and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, 3 nights in a row. Absolutely incredible shows by both artists.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I saw the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds show in Toronto last a week-and-a-half ago at Massey Hall and it was amazing. I didn't get to see SVE, although I have before in the past, and just got to my seat as Nice Cave was heading on stage. Good thing for that too - the "seat" I had was obviously made for a midget, not a 6ft tall ex-hockey player who doesn't play anymore (i.e. ME). I had to have my knees bent and cocked to fit into the given legspace, which was clearly made for my five year old son.

However, having said that, it was my favourite of the 3 times I've seen NCATBS. They played just enough of the new album and the rest of the set was like a greatest hits made just for me. Well worth the $70 spent to get in (shhh, don't tell LeanneP)

ManNamedTruth

Just got back from Toots and the Maytals. It was a killer set, glad I got to go! He's like the reggae version of James Brown. Most fun sing-a-long show I've ever been to, at one point he had us barking like dogs! Make sure you catch him if he comes to a town near you.

Jeff Murray

Saw Brown Bird the other night at the Federal Taphouse in Harrisburg.  Had a great time, they really put on a great show.  They played a good mix of new songs and older ones.  I like the fact that they were hanging out watching the opener, ended up going up to them between songs to thank them for playing our town.  The crowd was unfortunately thin, but those that were there had a good time dancing around.  (March Fourth Marching Band was playing a few blocks away, and they are always a big draw)  The venue is nice, good sound once they get it set.  I like the fact that you can go to the main level and grab a good beer of your choice, they have a 100 on tap, or just take whatever they have in the cooler upstairs.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??