What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddleCastro

Daughter at Bowery Ballroom

That was an absolutely incredible show.  It's the first time I got to really witness a band realize they had "made it." Elena had a huge smile on her face all night.  The audience sang along to "Landfill" and "Youth" and you could see Elena was just overtaken by joy. It was amazing hearing a few hundred people singing "I want you so much, but I hate your guts, I hate you" followed by a huge smile on Elena's face.  We even got a real encore from them.   Great show, check them out if they're playing near you, if it hasn't sold out already!

I'll post a video later.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

FiddleCastro

Wow I'm on the train back from seeing Clutch and sweet baby Jesus they were awesome. Hadn't seen them in almost three years, they've gotten older, but they're as good as ever.

ManNamedTruth

Saw The Breeders last night on the Last Splash 20th anniversary tour. I have yet to see The Pixies but have seen Frank Black, and this was much better. Last Splash in entirety translated well live as I expected. They did Happiness is a Warm Gun in the encore! Catch this tour if you can.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

MrWhippy

Just saw the "Peter Murphy Celebrates 35 Years of Bauhaus" show.  Really great show, and very nice selection of Bauhaus songs.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

CTdeadhead

Saw Clutch with the Sword last night at the State Theater in ME.  Whoa, what a show!  Mosh pits every where.   Great venue, great band and the Sword blew me away!

FiddleCastro

Quote from: CTdeadhead on May 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
Saw Clutch with the Sword last night at the State Theater in ME.  Whoa, what a show!  Mosh pits every where.   Great venue, great band and the Sword blew me away!

The Sword blew me away too! I'm mad at everyone who knew about them and didn't tell me how great they are  :grin:

Jeff Murray

I'm curious how the Electric Factory will handle the pits since they have a strict no moshing rule there.... gonna be tough to enforce with this crowd!

Fiddle - The Sword is one of the main reasons I'm going to the Philly show too, they got some solid albums.  Also got a good local opener starting the show called Kingsnake, a Clutch sound with Lemmy on vocals.  Plus Lionize is worth seeing again too, those guys are tight.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

rjlemons

Beale Street Music(Mud)Fest:

Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
Alice in Chains (for old time's sake)
Black Keys
The Roots
Deer Tick
Al Kapone
Phoenix
Gary Clark Jr.
The Black Crowes

Favorites were The Roots & Phoenix. The Roots were AMAZING! Al Kapone was a lot of fun also. Gary Clark was tough to get through the mud for a good view but he killed it even from a distance. Black Crowes are one of my favorites but they weren't really on fire. I really wished I had checked out the Flaming Lips instead.

I'm surprised at myself by saying that Phoenix live was one of the best shows I've seen in a while. I've only recently listened to some of their tunes.

CTdeadhead

Quote from: FiddleCastro on May 06, 2013, 11:20 PM

The Sword blew me away too! I'm mad at everyone who knew about them and didn't tell me how great they are  :grin:

I understand Metallica hand picked them to open the last tour, they are great!!!

Jaimoe

Steel Panther last night in Toronto.

It was more vulgar than a Calamity Jane-centric episode of Deadwood and had better tunes than all the real '80s hair metal bands they parody.

Fully

Quote from: Jaimoe on May 17, 2013, 08:02 AM

It was more vulgar than a Calamity Jane-centric episode of Deadwood and had better tunes than all the real '80s hair metal bands they parody.

A guy I work with went to their show in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. He was telling me about it. It sounds like a blast.

Jaimoe

Quote from: Fully on May 17, 2013, 10:02 AM
Quote from: Jaimoe on May 17, 2013, 08:02 AM

A guy I work with went to their show in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. He was telling me about it. It sounds like a blast.

Worst best guitar solos ever!

alienlanes

I went to see Deniz Tek of Radio Birdman/New Race fame last night here in Hamilton, Ontario and it was pretty amazing.

If you don't know Radio Birdman, they were essentially the first Australian punk band. I guess you could argue that point between them and The Saints, but I'll stick with RB. Deniz is an emergency room surgeon by trade these days (!) and tours for his holidays. His current band is him with 2 brothers on bass and drums. They did a bunch of Radio Birdman classics as well as song off his new solo album. All were excellent.

If you've never heard of Radio Birdman, here are a few youtube links to some of their more well know tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JWMmddFPlE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWR5n-ZT4xI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNof2jlqoO4

FiddleCastro

Just saw Sharon Van Etten, Lee Fields, father John Misty, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Flaming Lips, and Matt & Kim at Great Googa Mooga festival.

Here's my little review from my tumblr:

QuoteGooga Mooga was a lot of fun, sad that today is cancelled.  I got to groove out to Lee Fields, See a very interesting stage show from the Flaming Lips and see my Rock 'n' Roll love forever, Karen O totally rock Prospect Park. I finally "Got" Father John Misty, and saw an over-the-top fun set from Matt & Kim and an italian version of "No Sleep Till Brooklyn"

Oh and of course I got to see one of my favorite touring acts, Sharon Van Etten and her band. They were great and if you're a Sharon fan (YOU SHOULD BE) and are curious about the setlist, she played all of Tramp except for "We Are Fine" and "Joke Or Lie" and added "Save Yourself" and "Don't Do It" and soldiered on through the set through rain and multiple wardrobe malfunctions, being over caffeinated, and poor Doug dropping his bass at the end. (And not in the super-cool Skrillexy-also-happening-in-NewYork-this-weekend-ElectricDaisyCarnival way).

It was a great time with great friends and great music! And of course, great food. I mean, right now i'm eating BOURBON BACON BBQ CARMEL POPCORN like, what that's awesome.

iLikeBeer

Saw the Futurebirds last night and they put on a phenomenal show even though there were MAYBE 30 people there at most?  I think if OSU students were still in town they might have had a bit better turnout.  But I'm not complaining as it was quite the intimate show!   :thumbsup:

Diarrhea Planet was the opener and I would say they are a band worth checking out!  They had 4 guitar players and they could ALL shred!  Very 70's rock vibe with them!  They were YOUNG too as their lead singer looked like he just got his learner's permit...  :tongue:

Met some of the band members after the show and chatted with Daniel for quite a while!  He's a real cool dude and could not have been friendlier.  We mainly talked about how this was their first real foray into the Midwest as well as their first time playing Columbus and he has been pretty happy with the fan support so far.  Got to meet their dog Dakota as well.  Great pup!   :cool:

Fully

Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 20, 2013, 01:25 PM
Saw the Futurebirds last night and they put on a phenomenal show even though there were MAYBE 30 people there at most?  I think if OSU students were still in town they might have had a bit better turnout.  But I'm not complaining as it was quite the intimate show!   :thumbsup:

Diarrhea Planet was the opener and I would say they are a band worth checking out!  They had 4 guitar players and they could ALL shred!  Very 70's rock vibe with them!  They were YOUNG too as their lead singer looked like he just got his learner's permit...  :tongue:

Met some of the band members after the show and chatted with Daniel for quite a while!  He's a real cool dude and could not have been friendlier.  We mainly talked about how this was their first real foray into the Midwest as well as their first time playing Columbus and he has been pretty happy with the fan support so far.  Got to meet their dog Dakota as well.  Great pup!   :cool:

Sounds like Diarrhea Planet has improved since I saw them a couple of years ago. They play Nashville quite a lot and back then they lived up to their name.

Jeff Murray

I saw Clutch with Kingsnake, Lionize, and The Sword opening at the Electric Factory in Philly.  I will not go back to that venue if given the choice of seeing a band in a different town.  The sound was terrible!!  We stood in the 2nd level behind the sound board, should have been a sweet spot for sound, but it was muddy throughout the show.  There was nothing the sound guys could do to clean it up, the acoustics in that room suck.  And I know it wasn't the sound guys since I just saw Clutch in Bmore and the sound was great.  The bands played well, it makes me want to see The Sword at another venue.  Their kickdrum was too high and the vocals were drowned out.  I wish the Philly traffic wasn't so bad, I only caught 3 songs from the local opener Kingsnake. 

To sum it up... Unless the Electric Factory is your only resort go somewhere else!!!   :angry:
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Mr. White

I went to the Tibetan Freedom Concert at the Brown Theater in Louisville on May 20, 2013. I spoke to deidralynn and toretm after the show. There were several speakers, Squallis Puppeteers, Nawang Khechog, Peter Mulvey, and Ben sollee. Jim James showed up for the "Closing Performance with Ben Sollee and Friends - I Shall Be Released". I'll post some photos and a little video later.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

Here is the last song of last night's Tibetan Freedom Concert with Ben Sollee & Friends (featuring Jim James) - "I Shall Be Released", at the Brown Theatre in Louisville, Kentucky - May 20, 2013.

Ben Sollee and Friends (featuring Jim James) - I Shall Be Released
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

bluesky

thanks for posting. one of my all time favorite songs! who's the little boy? he could totally rock out on the rail at MMJ  :thumbsup: