What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

Quote from: bluesky on May 21, 2013, 10:47 AM
thanks for posting. one of my all time favorite songs! who's the little boy? he could totally rock out on the rail at MMJ  :thumbsup:

That is Ben Sollee's son. He was rocking out on the left side of the stage earlier in the show.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Waddy Peytona

Nawang Khechog was mesmerizing. I could listen to him play (and speak) for hours.

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 20, 2013, 01:25 PM
Saw the Futurebirds last night and they put on a phenomenal show even though there were MAYBE 30 people there at most?  I think if OSU students were still in town they might have had a bit better turnout.  But I'm not complaining as it was quite the intimate show!   :thumbsup:

Great stuff!  Happy birthday again man.  I get 'em tonight at a smaller club/bar in Philly that I've never been to but heard good things about.  Should be cool.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Ruckus on May 22, 2013, 09:40 AM

Great stuff!  Happy birthday again man.  I get 'em tonight at a smaller club/bar in Philly that I've never been to but heard good things about.  Should be cool.

Hey Rob, how was the Philly show?  Heard they had to cancel their show in RI last night because their van broke down.  That would have sucked...

Ruckus

Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 29, 2013, 07:58 AM

Hey Rob, how was the Philly show?  Heard they had to cancel their show in RI last night because their van broke down.  That would have sucked...
It was a great time ILB!  The opportunity to see them one last time in a very small venue was worth the trip and the hefty tab I ran up on divey prices.  The venue was a slightly renovated and reopened former jazz club.  As such, the layout was not in the slightest bit ideal for a rock band.  The club was VERY narrow and goes far back so that there is room for maybe a row of people standing in front of the stage.  Essentially the band played in front of a sit down crowd against the far wall opposite the stage (6 ft away) and the rest of the crowd sat or stood well off to the sides.  I believe total capacity was 110-120.

Had a good time hanging with some of the band that included some pics that'll never see the light of day.  I told Tom of my love for Dig and said they haven't played it yet because it hasn't been practiced with their new drummer.  I also asked them about the possibility of playing Bradford's songs in the future and he said that was a distinct possibility.  This was great news because Aquarium Floor might be the one song I haven't heard yet off Hampton's or the s/t EP

wolof7

Heard they had to cancel their show in RI last night because their van broke down.  That would have sucked...

It did suck. I am just happy I caught them in March when i was down in NC or I woulda been seriously bummed...I tried to reach them on twitter to see if they were gonna reschedule the date, no response as of yet which makes it seem unlikely at this point. Sucks too bc i was going w/ 3 friends 2 of whom were just getting into them, 1 is a fan and hadn't had a chance to catch them yet. Oh well.

I did catch Dead Confederate in Providence on Saturday. They were great, shattered my expectations. The new drummer is great. They mostly played new album which I'm loving right now
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Jeff Murray

Quote from: Ruckus on May 29, 2013, 02:41 PM

It was a great time ILB!  The opportunity to see them one last time in a very small venue was worth the trip and the hefty tab I ran up on divey prices.  The venue was a slightly renovated and reopened former jazz club.  As such, the layout was not in the slightest bit ideal for a rock band.  The club was VERY narrow and goes far back so that there is room for maybe a row of people standing in front of the stage.  Essentially the band played in front of a sit down crowd against the far wall opposite the stage (6 ft away) and the rest of the crowd sat or stood well off to the sides.  I believe total capacity was 110-120.

Had a good time hanging with some of the band that included some pics that'll never see the light of day.  I told Tom of my love for Dig and said they haven't played it yet because it hasn't been practiced with their new drummer.  I also asked them about the possibility of playing Bradford's songs in the future and he said that was a distinct possibility.  This was great news because Aquarium Floor might be the one song I haven't heard yet off Hampton's or the s/t EP

Are you talking about Ortliebs?  If so, it is a very strange venue... I saw Reignwolf there, cool set, but too short.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Ruckus

Quote from: Jeff Murray on May 30, 2013, 04:15 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on May 29, 2013, 02:41 PM

Are you talking about Ortliebs?  If so, it is a very strange venue... I saw Reignwolf there, cool set, but too short.
The one and only ;)

Jeff Murray

This is a week late but here it goes... Went to Philly last Friday to see Baroness at the Union Transfer.  They had Tombs and Pallbearer open for them for this show.  I'm glad I brought some earplugs for this one.  The openers didn't do much for me, too much of the same sound, so my friend and I took a seat out by the merch stand during Pallbearer.  It sucks getting old, my buddy's hip was starting to bother him and my feet were yelping, the show started about an hour plus later than scheduled, had some technical difficulties, so it goes with the first show of a tour. 

By the time Baroness took the stage the crowd was ready, some a little too ready! ( :beer:)  The band was genuinely appreciative of the support the fans have given them lately and they showed it with a great set.  John gave some thanks to some and said it was the most he's ever talked to a crowd before.  The new bassist and drummer stayed in time pretty well for just learning the songs, you could tell they were stoked being on stage.  The sound was great, can't beat the acoustics of the Union Transfer.  There were some song requests from the crowd and John politely explained how difficult it was to re-learn the songs, not just for the new band members, but for himself with his injuries.  I was hoping for Rays Of Pinoin, but that didn't surface.  They did help the crowd out by changing the light colors based on the album the song they were playing was from, and they did mix up the setlist pretty well.  Only downfall of the night was the crowd surfers that made it to the stage and crashed on the pedal set ups as they were tossed on stage.  The band was cool with it even when it cut out a guitar for a moment.  I think they need to set up a rail with security personally, but that is my selfish old man side wanting to see them play without interruption.  At the end of the show John invited everyone to stick around so they could personally thank everyone for the support, I thought that was cool and would have done it but my buddy was exhausted and it was already getting late.  Overall Baroness puts on a great show and I would highly recommend them to anyone that likes hard rock/metal.  I was half tempted to hit their Baltimore show the next night, but I was exhausted after battling a cold and not getting in until 3:30 the night before. 

Set List:

Ogeechee Hymnal
        Take My Bones Away
        March to the Sea
        A Horse Called Golgotha
        Foolsong
        Little Things
        Green Theme
        Swollen and Halo
        Board Up the House
        Sea Lungs
        Cocainium
        Eula
        The Sweetest Curse
        Isak
        The Gnashing
        Encore:
        The Line Between
        Jake Leg
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

manonthemoon

Just got through a two night run with The Mountain Goats in DC and then in York PA.  Both were great shows, but totally different as the Stand Theater in York is a seated theater so I couldn't really get into it as much as I am not one for seated shows, but then during the finale and encore they wanted everyone to sing along so everyone was up by the stage for that.  Plus they dropped a "No, I can't" which is one of my favorite songs that they never play live, so that made it worth the drive in itself.  The 930 show was standing only as it sold out so fast when it was going to be seated that they wanted to open up more tickets and the sold out crowd was way more into it.  JD also seemed really talkative and told a ton of stories which is one of the best parts of the act IMO as he's a really funny dude.  The best is how he shuts down all of the people yelling requests all night long. 
Alive or Just Breathing

FiddleCastro

The National, Barclays Center

This show was really good, the opener, Youth Lagoon was alright but really boring. The National were amazing, and their set was incredible!

Matt roamed out into the crowd as usual and trouble found him as he approached the area of the crowd I was in.  Some dude got in Matt's way and wouldn't move so Matt tackled him, which actually then tangled up a dude into his mic cord, when Matt pulled on it, the mic slipped out of his hand, he tripped and stepped on my foot, as the mic went flying somewhere... it was awesome.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Penny Lane

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Jun 06, 2013, 09:14 AM

This show was really good, the opener, Youth Lagoon was alright but really boring. The National were amazing, and their set was incredible!

Matt roamed out into the crowd as usual and trouble found him as he approached the area of the crowd I was in.  Some dude got in Matt's way and wouldn't move so Matt tackled him, which actually then tangled up a dude into his mic cord, when Matt pulled on it, the mic slipped out of his hand, he tripped and stepped on my foot, as the mic went flying somewhere... it was awesome.

Sounds awesome, Rich. Tired Eyes and I had talked about going but I didn't want to fork up the cash. They're still on my bucket list--had no idea he got so involved in the crowd---with the type of music they play, can't picture that. I picture Radiohead and the crowd kind of just standing there ...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jun 06, 2013, 10:10 AM
Quote from: FiddleCastro on Jun 06, 2013, 09:14 AM

Sounds awesome, Rich. Tired Eyes and I had talked about going but I didn't want to fork up the cash. They're still on my bucket list--had no idea he got so involved in the crowd---with the type of music they play, can't picture that. I picture Radiohead and the crowd kind of just standing there ...

This is the song it happens during, to give you an idea... But picture this in a GA pit

The National - Mr. November (Live Uncut)

Definitely go see them! This was my third time seeing them, always a great show. Never thought I'd see them in such a large arena, though.

LBSUNFLWR

Jason Isbell & the 400 Unit
06-07-2013 at Iroquois Amphitheater
Louisville, KY

Iroquois amphitheater is a really awesome place and it was a beautiful night to be outside. like 78 degrees and not raining! My friends got there before us and saved us 2 seats in the 7th row, center! SWEET!!!

The tour is Isbell and Paul Thorn and I think they are alternating who plays first. I've never heard of Paul Thorn before this, but seeing as we were among the youngest in the crowd, I had a feeling all of these other people were here to see him and not Isbell.

Jason Isbell came out at 8:20, still light outside. Band was excellent. Jason's playing and singing sounded incredible. He was very gracious. Played for just an hour, but really packed a lot in with a good mix of new songs, older Isbell songs and a few DBT songs. And they were selling the new album even though it doesn't come out for a few more days.

setlist:
Flying Over Water
Go It Alone
Outfit
Traveling Alone
Different Days
Stockholm
Codeine
Decoration Day
Alabama Pines
Super 8
Never Gonna Change
Like a Hurricane

Decoration Day was the best performance of the night I thought. I was a little bummed he didn't play God Damn Lonely Love but still felt satisfied.

We stayed to watch all of Paul Thorn's set too. Guy is like a comedian/country singer. Apparently the radio station here shows him a lot of love. Crowd went wild for him. Beer drinking 60 year old ladies dancing and singing along! He was very entertaining. I liked his solo acoustic stuff best, but his band really rocked out on a few songs too.

FiddleCastro

Paul McCartney at Barclays Center.

Eight Days a Week
Junior's Farm
All My Loving
Listen to What the Man Said
Let Me Roll It
Paperback Writer
My Valentine
Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five
The Long and Winding Road
Maybe I'm Amazed
I've Just Seen a Face
We Can Work It Out
Another Day
And I Love Her
Blackbird
Here Today
Your Mother Should Know
Lady Madonna
All Together Now
Lovely Rita
Mrs. Vandebilt
Eleanor Rigby
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Something
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Band on the Run
Back in the U.S.S.R.
Let It Be
Live and Let Die
Hey Jude

Encore:
Day Tripper
Hi, Hi, Hi
Get Back

Encore 2:
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End

johnnYYac

Fuck!  Not bad for a guy who turns 71 in  9 days. Was it as good as it looks on paper?
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

FiddleCastro

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jun 09, 2013, 02:08 PM
Fuck!  Not bad for a guy who turns 71 in  9 days. Was it as good as it looks on paper?

Better than I ever expected! I may try to see him again tomorrow night

Mr. White

Floating Action and Lydia Burrell at Zanzabar in Louisville, Kentucky - June 8, 2013
Blurry Photo of Floating Action

They played a nice set. The energy of the audience was a little low for most of their show. (I think the majority of those there had come to see the last show of Lydia Burrell with their original bass player.) Floating Action were new to me, but I was able to find the groove right off. I got their album Fake Blood on vinyl right after their set. 
Better Photos of Lydia Burrell

Lydia Burrell sounded great. Their set was tight, and I liked the flow of all their songs. I only wish I had gotten into them before they were about to break up/re-form.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

APR

I saw Foals last night in Baltimore.  It was a great show with a lot of energy from the band (especially the lead singer).  He went into the crowd three times with his guitar and just walked around playing.  It's amazing to me that they have such a distinct sound that somehow varies enough that no two songs really sound alike.  And from what I could tell not a single band member changed out his instrument for a different one.  Overall they really rocked the not so full venue and sounded great. 

It was definitely worth the hour drive during torrential rain to see them. 

rjlemons

Floating Action in Nashville last Friday and they were amazing. Seth's singing seems as easy as breathing. Everything just flows with those guys. I hope I get to see them again soon.

Local Natives last night at Minglewood Hall in Memphis. I was very impressed with how they sounded live. The multiple vocals and the rotating of instruments shows how talented they really are. They were excited to be in Memphis right before Bonnaroo. I would definitely go see them again.