What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. White

I took my wife and 9 year-old grandson to see Ben Sollee play a free show as part of the Musicians Corner series of free shows in Centennial Park in Nashville, Tennessee yesterday (June 15, 2013). He and Jordan (his drummer) did a fantastic job! I recorded several songs from the day.

Here is How to See the Sunrise.

Ben Sollee - How to See the Sunrise - Musicians Corner - Nashville - 6/15/2013

I will post more soon.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 16, 2013, 02:54 PM
I took my wife and 9 year-old grandson to see Ben Sollee play a free show as part of the Musicians Corner series of free shows in Centennial Park in Nashville, Tennessee yesterday (June 15, 2013). He and Jordan (his drummer) did a fantastic job! I recorded several songs from the day.

I will post more soon.

Here is Prettiest Tree On The Mountain from Musicians Corner in Centennial Park in Nashville, Tennessee on June 15, 2013.

Ben Sollee - Prettiest Tree On The Mountain - Musicians Corner - Nashville - 6/15/2013

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 16, 2013, 09:39 PM

I will post more soon.

Here is Prettiest Tree On The Mountain from Musicians Corner in Centennial Park in Nashville, Tennessee on June 15, 2013.

Ben Sollee - Prettiest Tree On The Mountain - Musicians Corner - Nashville - 6/15/2013

Here is a very good extended version of It's Not Impossible.

Ben Sollee - It's Not Impossible - Musicians Corner - Nashville - 6/15/2013

iLikeBeer

Saw The National for the first time last Saturday with my wife as we celebrated our 12th anniversary at The LC in Columbus.  I've been wanting to see them live forever it seems and they did not disappoint.  They were about to get cut off because I guess there is a pretty strict curfew due to condos in the area, so they unplugged everything (even their mikes) and stood along the front of the stage and played Vanderlyle truly unplugged as the crowd sang along with them.  Gave me chills!   :cheesy:   :beer:

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 17, 2013, 07:01 PM

I will post more soon.

Here is Unfinished recorded by Music City Roots on their bus (EM-50 Sessions) that was parked right next to the stage that afternoon at Musicians Corner.

Ben Sollee "Unfinished"

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 20, 2013, 10:43 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 17, 2013, 07:01 PM

I will post more soon.

Here is Prettiest Tree On The Mountain.

Here is Unfinished recorded by Music City Roots on their bus (EM-50 Sessions) that was parked right next to the stage that afternoon at Musicians Corner.

Ben Sollee "Unfinished"

Here is the last song of the day, Paul Simon's Obvious Child.

Ben Sollee - Obvious Child - Musicians Corner - Nashville - 6/15/2013

Fully

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jun 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
Saw The National for the first time last Saturday with my wife as we celebrated our 12th anniversary at The LC in Columbus.  I've been wanting to see them live forever it seems and they did not disappoint.  They were about to get cut off because I guess there is a pretty strict curfew due to condos in the area, so they unplugged everything (even their mikes) and stood along the front of the stage and played Vanderlyle truly unplugged as the crowd sang along with them.  Gave me chills!   :cheesy:   :beer:

That sounds great! What a neat way to end the show! I saw them for the first time at bonnaroo this year and loved their set. I'm definitely planning on catching them again.

Mr. White

Last evening, I drove up to the Tim Faulkner Gallery in Butchertown in Louisville, Kentucky to enjoy the activities/information about social justice, environmental concerns, and good free music as part of the Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) - Jefferson County Chapter's 30th Birthday Bash. One of the big reasons I went was to catch Joan Shelley's set. She played at about 7:30, and I was able to record a few of her songs.

Here is Siren from Joan's 2012 album Ginko.

Joan Shelley - Siren - KFTC Jefferson County Chapter's 30th Birthday Bash - 6/22/2013

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Jun 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
Last evening, I drove up to the Tim Faulkner Gallery in Butchertown in Louisville, Kentucky to enjoy the activities/information about social justice, environmental concerns, and good free music as part of the Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) - Jefferson County Chapter's 30th Birthday Bash. One of the big reasons I went was to catch Joan Shelley's set. She played at about 7:30, and I was able to record a few of her songs.

Here is Siren from Joan's 2012 album Ginko.

Joan Shelley - Siren - KFTC Jefferson County Chapter's 30th Birthday Bash - 6/22/2013

Here is the song First of August from her 2012 album of duets with Daniel Martin Moore called Farthest Field.

Joan Shelley - First of August - KFTC Jefferson County Chapter's 30th Birthday Bash - 6/22/2013

FiddleCastro

I'm a sucker for collaboration, and goodness, this was awesome.  Seeing some of my favorite musicians in the world playing one of my favorite albums together was just incredible.  The whole night was awesome, the pre-show music was all Who tracks, too, it was like the perfect evening of music.  I'm not even going to try to list who played, so i'll just copy and paste it off the City Park's website:
Big Star's Third is a full performance of the iconic album by an astonishing who's who of rock music featuring famed vocalists including Sharon Van Etten, Kurt Vile, Marshall Crenshaw, Pete Yorn, Reeve Carney (Spiderman: Turn Off The Dark), Jonathan Donahue (Mercury Rev) and Becky Stark (Lavender Diamond), supported by an all-star band including Mike Mills (R.E.M.) on bass; Mitch Easter (Let's Active), Chris Stamey(The dB's), Ken Stringfellow (The Posies, Big Star) and Richard Lloyd (Television) on guitar; Dale Baker (Sixpence None the Richer) playing percussion; Charles Cleaver on keys; Django Haskins (The Old Ceremony), Brett Harris and Skylar Gudasz on harmony and guitar; and original Big Star member Jody Stephens on drums, all backed with a twenty-piece chamber orchestra including famed cellist Jane Scarpantoni and the Uptown Horns.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

FiddleCastro

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jun 18, 2013, 03:24 PM

They've been doing this the last couple of years, dunno how often, but I saw them do it at the end of their beacon run and it's one of my all-time favorite live music moments.  They also did it at Barclays. That was incredible, an arena that big singing along... Amazing

weeniebeenie

Not a concert but I went to see the Beatles Story exhibition in Liverpool today. It was really insightful. There were replicas of what the Cavern and Kasbah clubs looked like back when they played them and old guitars, plus a whole bunch of other stuff.
How loud can silence get?

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Jul 05, 2013, 05:18 PM
Not a concert but I went to see the Beatles Story exhibition in Liverpool today. It was really insightful. There were replicas of what the Cavern and Kasbah clubs looked like back when they played them and old guitars, plus a whole bunch of other stuff.

You're in the UK?  That's awesome. I know you were talking about going.  Hope you have a great trip!

weeniebeenie

Quote from: Northern Neighbour on Jul 06, 2013, 12:14 PM
Quote from: weeniebeenie on Jul 05, 2013, 05:18 PM

You're in the UK?  That's awesome. I know you were talking about going.  Hope you have a great trip!
Thanks. Started off in Scotland and stayed with some family friends and then drove down to Liverpool and Bath. Going to London tomorrow. Hopefully in time to watch the Wimbledon final from Henman Hill.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Jul 06, 2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks. Started off in Scotland and stayed with some family friends and then drove down to Liverpool and Bath. Going to London tomorrow. Hopefully in time to watch the Wimbledon final from Henman Hill.

Did you make it to Wimbledon weenie?  That place had to have been nuts with Murray finally breaking the streak!   :thumbsup:

weeniebeenie

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jul 08, 2013, 08:24 AM
Quote from: weeniebeenie on Jul 06, 2013, 03:54 PM

Did you make it to Wimbledon weenie?  That place had to have been nuts with Murray finally breaking the streak!   :thumbsup:
Didn't make it. It was so packed! I'm so glad that he won though. He's the only sports person that I actually pay any attention to apart from equestrians.

FiddleCastro

Got back from Ottawa Blues Fest yesterday thanks to Northern Neighbor  :beer:

Got to see:

Jimmy Eat World
Black Keys
Camera Obscura
Frank Turner
Flogging Molly
She & Him
Justin Townes Earle
Amadou & Mariam
Fitz & The Tantrums
Neko Case
Sharon Van Etten
Fevers
Shaky Graves
The Joy Formidable
Wu-Tang Clan
Rocky Lawrence
Hannah Georgas
Tegan and Sara
Eric Burdon
The Specials
RUSH

Crispy

I was going to fly up to St. Paul last night, but I decided to go see Son Volt at the Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa instead! They were fantastic, and fantastically loud, and here's what it looked like behind me from my perch at stage center (no rail):

At least I didn't have to struggle to keep from being overrun by aggressive Dylan fans.

Edit: The kid that was next to me with his dad saw the Jim Super Jam at Roo, and Victory Dance is his ringtone.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

LBSUNFLWR

Gregory Alan Isakov last night at Zanzabar in Louisville. Very small place, I'd say less than 100 people there. Truly beautiful show. 4 men, all strings: banjo, acoustic guitar, violin and cello. damn good!!  :thumbsup:

FiddleCastro

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jul 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
Gregory Alan Isakov last night at Zanzabar in Louisville. Very small place, I'd say less than 100 people there. Truly beautiful show. 4 men, all strings: banjo, acoustic guitar, violin and cello. damn good!!  :thumbsup:

I'm seeing him one week from tonight at the Bowery Ballroom in NY . Really looking forward to it now!  :thumbsup: