What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: FiddleCastro on Jul 11, 2013, 03:22 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jul 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
Gregory Alan Isakov last night at Zanzabar in Louisville. Very small place, I'd say less than 100 people there. Truly beautiful show. 4 men, all strings: banjo, acoustic guitar, violin and cello. damn good!!  :thumbsup:

I'm seeing him one week from tonight at the Bowery Ballroom in NY . Really looking forward to it now!  :thumbsup:

If you don't have his new album yet be sure you get it before the show. Firstly because it's fuckingreat!! and also b/c he played most of it live...just a few older songs at my show. Second Chances is my favorite so far on the new album and he didn't play it, but hopefully he mixes things up and doesn't do the same set every night!!

I had been waiting a long time to see him and finally had the chance and he surely did not disappoint!!!

Love the Bowery Ballroom!  :smiley:

manonthemoon

Just caught Trail of Dead lastnight in Baltimore @ Metro Gallery.  Small venue, but good quality sound that was much better than they usually get at Rock n Roll Hotel in DC.  Great show, they always seem to pull out all of the stops and really know how to work up a crowd.  Between this and Sleep for my show of the year so far, that's pre three Jacket shows that are upcomming, of course.   :beer:
Alive or Just Breathing

Tired Eyes

Wednesday I saw ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead at Spaceland in Hamden, CT.  It was my first time seeing them and they were very good.  Top support band Ume from Austin, TX was also good.

Thursday I saw Eilen Jewell at Cafe Nine in New Haven.  She was really good.  It was my 1st time seeing her.  Jerry Miller (not the Moby Grape guy) plays guitar in her band & is terrific.  Joe Fletcher opened with a solid set.

Friday I saw Kid Rock at the Meadows (refuse to use current corporate name) in Hartford.  The openers were Marshall Tucker Band and Uncle Kracker.  UK was horrid.  Marshall Tucker Band was really good and Kid Rock was good too.  Those two didn't play long enough due to awful UK taking up time at the start of the show.

Northern Neighbour

The Ottawa Bluesfest has just finished, and it was great that FiddleCastro could come up for half of it.  Over the 10 days, I saw the following:

Femi Kuti
Jimmy Eat World
The Black Keys
Camera Obscura
Frank Turner (tail end of his show)
Flogging Molly (only parts)
She & Him (may have been the most disappointing show of the festival)
Camp Radio (Ottawa band that plays indie rock-pop similar to Dinosaur, Jr's "Farm")
Justin Townes Earle
Amadou & Miriam
Fitz & the Tantrums
Neko Case
Belle & Sebastian (only about 20 minutes, should have stayed longer)
Sharon Van Etten (excellent show)
Fevers
Shaky Graves
The Joy Formidable
Wu-Tang Clan (just about 15 minutes)
Rocky Lawrence
Hannah Georgas
Diamond Rings
Eric Burdon
The Goodluck Assembly
The Specials
The Harpoonist & the Axe Murderer
Mother Mother
Atlas Genius
Animal Collective
Solange
Passion Pit
Jack Pine and the Fire
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
The Tragically Hip
Loon Choir (Ottawa band that has an Arcade Fire bent)
Matthew Good
TJ Wheeler & Friends
Balkan Beat Box
Roberta Bondar
Richard Perso (twice - he's a young Aussie, one-man band)
Imaginary Cities
Firebelly
Austra
Phosphorescent
Bjork (mind-blowing show)
Blues in the Schools (elementary and high school-aged kids get to play a couple of songs on stage)
Alice in Chains
Alejandro Escovedo
Yukon Blonde
B.B. King

Photos can be found here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/benyung6/sets/72157634525251201/

headhunter

Great shots Ben!!!   Are those all yours?

was some shakin' and some record playin'

Northern Neighbour

Quote from: headhunter on Jul 16, 2013, 02:49 PM
Great shots Ben!!!   Are those all yours?

Yes sir.  We bought a new Sony camera the week before we went to your place.  It's a great compact (well a little bit bigger than you're regular point-and-shoot) with a 30X zoom.  I've had to play around with the manual mode to get some of those shots.  My favourites are the ones of Sharon Van Etten and Bjork.  The Bjork shot was taken about a good 100 feet or more from the stage.

FiddleCastro

That's an awesome pic! I wish I stayed for Bjork! (and more free Pepsi  :grin:)
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

weeniebeenie

Those are really cool photos Ben!
How loud can silence get?

iLikeBeer

I finally got to see Phospherescent this past Tuesday with Strand of Oaks opening for them.

I remember reading how surprisingly good the new lineup is with the two keyboards and I must say I concur.  They kicked some serious ass!   :beer:

I actually didn't even look to see who the opener was until a few days before the show and I was quite stoked to see him as the opener and he didn't disappoint!   :thumbsup:

LBSUNFLWR

NICE!! And I got to see Phosphorescent last night at Headliners in Louisville.

Fuckinawesome!! They sound incredible live. I liked this show even more than the little show in Bloomington a few months ago. That band is incredible, especially the male keyboard player and the drummer. Kicked ass last night too!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

iLikeBeer

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jul 19, 2013, 09:36 AM
NICE!! And I got to see Phosphorescent last night at Headliners in Louisville.

Fuckinawesome!! They sound incredible live. I liked this show even more than the little show in Bloomington a few months ago. That band is incredible, esbpecially the male keyboard player and the drummer. Kicked ass last night too!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah, the male keyboarder rocked.  He was really getting the crowd involved.  He also was wearing a J Crew Hawaiian shirt that I have and had contemplated wearing which I thought would have been pretty funny.  It's not a shirt you see every day.

FiddleCastro

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jul 12, 2013, 09:16 AM
Quote from: FiddleCastro on Jul 11, 2013, 03:22 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Jul 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
Gregory Alan Isakov last night at Zanzabar in Louisville. Very small place, I'd say less than 100 people there. Truly beautiful show. 4 men, all strings: banjo, acoustic guitar, violin and cello. damn good!!  :thumbsup:

I'm seeing him one week from tonight at the Bowery Ballroom in NY . Really looking forward to it now!  :thumbsup:

If you don't have his new album yet be sure you get it before the show. Firstly because it's fuckingreat!! and also b/c he played most of it live...just a few older songs at my show. Second Chances is my favorite so far on the new album and he didn't play it, but hopefully he mixes things up and doesn't do the same set every night!!

I had been waiting a long time to see him and finally had the chance and he surely did not disappoint!!!

Love the Bowery Ballroom!  :smiley:

he and his opener David Ramirez were great! Bowery Ballroom was packed! Was quite surprising!

Also just saw MMJ, Wilco and Dylan in CT. that was awesome  :cool:
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

Jaimoe

Phish last night in Toronto at the Molson Amphitheatre (their make-up date from a few weeks back when Toronto was hit with severe flooding due to a massive storm). Good show with a great set list with many old favs including "David Bowie" and "Suzy Greenberg" along with a three-song encore (highlight was "Lovin' Cup") that went 20-minutes over the 11pm curfew. The boys haven't been back to Toronto since 2000 (I was there for that one too), so the cool gig poster (see above) was done rather tongue-in-cheek (i.e., snail's pace it took them in returning to town and the snail's pace that particular streetcar route takes to get to the amphitheatre). Also, you'll notice that the Toronto gig poster lists July 9, 2013, which was the original tour date, so these sold out fast (they didn't make an updated poster, making these immediate collectors items).

he.who.forgets

Last Saturday saw the Black Crowes & The Tedeschi Trucks Band at the VWA in Alpheretta GA.  Great sets by both bands plus a killer encore with 17 excellent musicians sharing the same stage.  Only downside is that I was hindered by a headache most of the night.  The next night we saw the John Butler Trio at the Tabernacle.  Amazing show.  I love how JBT really builds their songs at the beginning before ripping into them.  Crowd was a lil on the douchy side though, too much chatting. All in all an excellent weekend for live music.

MarkW

Arrived back from Norway about ten days ago.  The first part of the holiday was at the Traena Festival, held on an island off the coast of northern Norway near the arctic circle.

A couple of bands were excellent - particularly Vintage Trouble (who have been supporting The Who) and Highasakite (link here: http://highasakite.no/) who put on a great show under the midnight sun (albeit in a tent).

Three pics to share, starting with the coolest festival campsite ever:

The cave stage, which was a boat ride away on another island:

And the moment, on the fourth and final evening, when the sun finally came out at 11pm:

Good times.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

iLikeBeer

Quote from: MarkW on Jul 30, 2013, 01:34 PM
Arrived back from Norway about ten days ago.  The first part of the holiday was at the Traena Festival, held on an island off the coast of northern Norway near the arctic circle.

A couple of bands were excellent - particularly Vintage Trouble (who have been supporting The Who) and Highasakite (link here: http://highasakite.no/) who put on a great show under the midnight sun (albeit in a tent).

Holy shit does that look like an awesome time Mark!  That cave stage looks absolutely ridiculous?!  How many people attended this festival?

And the moment, on the fourth and final evening, when the sun finally came out at 11pm:

Good times.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Jul 25, 2013, 04:17 PM
Last Saturday saw the Black Crowes & The Tedeschi Trucks Band at the VWA in Alpheretta GA.  Great sets by both bands plus a killer encore with 17 excellent musicians sharing the same stage.  Only downside is that I was hindered by a headache most of the night.  The next night we saw the John Butler Trio at the Tabernacle.  Amazing show.  I love how JBT really builds their songs at the beginning before ripping into them.  Crowd was a lil on the douchy side though, too much chatting. All in all an excellent weekend for live music.

My wife and I saw the Crowes and TTB last Wednesday at the LC Pavilion in Columbus and it was killer.  I had one of those face melting moments when the the Crowes brought out the entire TTB for their encore set and broke into Turn on your Lovelight!   :cheesy:

Had a brain fart moment prior to the show as I forgot to print out my tix and didn't realize this until we were about an hour and a half from home with only about 2 hours until the show started?!  Tried to get ticket bastard to change our tix from print at home to pick up at the box office, but you needed the last 4 digits of the credit card you used to make your purchase.  Thing is, my credit card was somehow compromised and my bank had to issue me a new one and I had to cut the old one up meaning I no longer had the last 4 digits?!  Luckily I was able to find it on record at Amazon from making previous purchases and it all worked out.  Crisis averted!   :cool:

he.who.forgets

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Jul 30, 2013, 02:51 PM
Quote from: he.who.forgets on Jul 25, 2013, 04:17 PM

My wife and I saw the Crowes and TTB last Wednesday at the LC Pavilion in Columbus and it was killer.  I had one of those face melting moments when the the Crowes brought out the entire TTB for their encore set and broke into Turn on your Lovelight!   :cheesy:

Had a brain fart moment prior to the show as I forgot to print out my tix and didn't realize this until we were about an hour and a half from home with only about 2 hours until the show started?!  Tried to get ticket bastard to change our tix from print at home to pick up at the box office, but you needed the last 4 digits of the credit card you used to make your purchase.  Thing is, my credit card was somehow compromised and my bank had to issue me a new one and I had to cut the old one up meaning I no longer had the last 4 digits?!  Luckily I was able to find it on record at Amazon from making previous purchases and it all worked out.  Crisis averted!   :cool:
Man, glad that worked out for you! I would have been a wreck.  My buddy runs the LC Pavilion up there, but I've never had a chance to visit. Good venue?

iLikeBeer

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Jul 31, 2013, 02:37 PM
Man, glad that worked out for you! I would have been a wreck.  My buddy runs the LC Pavilion up there, but I've never had a chance to visit. Good venue?

Yeah, I like it.  It's quite intimate for an outdoor pavilion.  There's a large pit area and no seating and the lawn is close enough you don't feel like you're in the next time zone when you're sitting in it like some of the larger amphitheaters.  I actually enjoy the lawn there as it is more relaxed out there than how packed the pit area can get...

Also, the Indians AAA affiliate play right next door to the pavilion and there have been nights where they are playing at home with fireworks night that play nicely with the shows going on there...  :cool:

he.who.forgets

Quote from: MarkW on Jul 30, 2013, 01:34 PM

Good times.
This looks amazing, by the way.  Curious as to how the cave show(s) sounded...talk about reverb, MMJ would be in heaven :smiley: