What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Dec 17, 2013, 12:57 AM
Yo La Tengo at Bell House in Brooklyn- just got back. It was my second time seeing them but first time seeing them do their own plugged-in/electric material. They were loud, noisy, and amazing. Ira Kaplan is a skinny Jersey Jew guitar god.

Roaring cover of Uncle Neil's Time Fades Away and several other 10+ minute guitar freak outs. Ira's mom sang "My Little Corner of The World" to end it. I can't believe this band doesn't have a bigger cult.

That's what I thought after finally witnessing some YLT awesomeness at Solid Sound. Hipster backlash, maybe.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jeff Murray

Quote from: manonthemoon on Dec 10, 2013, 08:15 PM
Saw Red Fang @Underground Arts in Philly last night.  Epic metal show, and probably my number 2 or 3 show of the year behind on Sleep at MDF and Trail of Dead.  The crowd was crazy as always with tons of crowd surfing including a 300+ lb guy who ended up on top of a few guys including myself and other than the constant mass of humanity and taking a knee to the skull from another surfer it was a great night.  Brian and Aaron where bother really playing to the crowd and kept on coming up to the edge of the stage where I was located during the solos which were awesome.  Bryan also gave me a pick after the show so that will be nice to add to my collection.  I think that might of been the last time I have ever exited a show dripping in sweat when it is snowing outside.  As far as the music was concerned they played from their entire catalog which was awesome as they played all of the well known songs along with Malverde, Reverse Thunder, and some other great cuts.  Now just hoping Queens bring the same sort of energy on Monday night.

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1474451_10151878347098717_859355104_n.jpg

I wanted to go to that show!!  I saw them there last year and it was a blast.  I can't believe they haven't graduated to the Union Transfer yet... or they just like the basement vibe.  Glad you had a good time!
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

dmooney99

saw Fastball in West Chester, PA a few weeks ago.  Only knew their singles but it was a good show. 

few days before that saw Jagwar Ma in philly at a nightclub (won tix).  Really enjoyed that show.  lots of dancing and peopel were into them.

Jagwar Ma- Uncertainty@ Voyeur in philly

ffghtrs

Just saw Jeff Tweedy 12/8/13 in Seattle. It was a great solo show.  Love his music.  Can Never get enough much like MMJ, no matter what mood i am in there is a Jeff/Wilco/Jim/Carl/MMJ album that will work.  Suffice it to say that MMJ and Wilco are my top two.
Can you keep it simple? Can you let the snare crack? Can you let it move without holding back?

dmooney99

saw Against Me! in Lancaster, PA on Saturday.  I only knew a handful of their stuff, but they put on one hell of a show.  Crowd was into them, lot of moshing and crowd surfing.  New stuff sounded decent as well.

manonthemoon

Saw the Mountain Goats (just JD) in Durham on Sunday for a special fundraiser show. Very small venue, like 250 max and was able to get up front to in front of the stage which was cool.  It was awesome as he played some unreleased stuff, some songs he never plays, covers, and then auctioned off 8 request songs for the charity.  He had his typical witty banter and was pretty much totally on for the show as I am guessing playing a one off hometown show is something he likes to do.   Totally worth the drive down and one of my top 5 shows ever, hopefully this is just the start to a fantastic year of shows with MMJ blowing us away in the Summer and Fall.   :drum:
Alive or Just Breathing

LBSUNFLWR

Jason Isbell
Headliners – Louisville, KY
January 15, 2014

on 10:15

Decoration Day
Flying Over Water
Tour of Duty
Go It Alone
Alabama Pines
God Damn Lonely Love
Heart on a String
Different Days
Live Oak
Stockholm
Cover Me Up
Relatively Easy
Traveling Alone
Codeine
Elephant
Never Gonna Change
Outfit
The Magician
Dress Blues
Super 8
---------------
Danko/Manual
Atlantic City

off 12:20

weeniebeenie

Went to the Sydney Big Day Out on Sunday. Saw Tame Impala, Cosmic Psychos, Mudhoney and Pearl Jam of course. Incredible set list. They played Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns, Footsteps, In Hiding, Black, Insignificance, Kick Out the Jams with Mark Arm and Steve Turner, just so many good songs. The played for over two hours and past curfew. The audience sounded like a choir and were singing every word. I was on Stones side a couple of rows from the front.

Seeing Eddie solo at the State Theatre and the Sydney Opera House in a few weeks as well. Can't wait!
How loud can silence get?

oistheone

Got some free tickets to Jay Z the other night, and man, pretty kickass show! I went to the show a tad reluctantly, as I was feeling kinda shitty and I'm not even that big of a Jay fan. Just felt like I'd be an idiot to turn down free tickets. But goddamn if that guy didn't pull me in! I was bouncin' on cue on everything. What a killer band he's got too. Money well spent!

he.who.forgets

Queens of the Stone Age just blew my mind the other night.  First time seeing them and it was pretty fucking outstanding.

dmooney99

Quote from: he.who.forgets on Feb 08, 2014, 09:17 AM
Queens of the Stone Age just blew my mind the other night.  First time seeing them and it was pretty fucking outstanding.

:thumbsup: yeah they are awesome!

I saw a band called Drowners last night at a dive bar in philly.  Only heard about them last week when a friend mentioned them to me and saw they were opening up for Temples soon.  Checked out some of their videos on youtube and dug what I heard.  Think early Strokes meets late 80's/early 90's brit pop music.  They were pretty awesome live!  Could be very huge one day!  Lead singer is Welsh but moved to New York a few years ago to become a model.  Bought the album at the show and got the set list (which was on a piece of cardboard signed). 

Drowners- Watch You Change@ Kung Fu Necktie

Drowners- Let Me Finish@ Kung Fu Necktie

Drowners- Bar Chat@ Kung Fu Necktie in philly

oistheone

Saw Justin Timberlake on Valentine's Day with my girlfriend. Surprised her with fourth-row seats, and it was hilarious to watch her go nuts. The music ain't really my thang, but it's hard not to admire JT from a performance standpoint. The man can entertain. Also, top marks for sheer production values. The stage setup was massive, with a backdrop that even covered the arena's ceiling. First I've ever seen that. He also had a huge hydraulic stage that moved to the other end of the arena for a few songs, turning our awesome seats to nosebleeds. All in all, top quality arena pop show.

On the complete other end of the spectrum, I saw a celebration of the Kinks last night featuring some of Toronto's finest. It was three straight hours of Kinks hits, most of which done remarkably well. The Golden Dogs hosted, and were supported by Zeus, Sloan, Ron Sexsmith, Jason Collett and about a dozen others. It was probably the catchiest night of covers I've ever seen. Here's Zeus rippin' through Victoria:

The Golden Dogs & Zeus - Victoria - Live at the Silver Dollar

Mr. White

My brother and I went to Nashville last Sunday (Feb. 16, 2014) to see Pat Metheny at the Ryman Auditorium. (See my two videos in the Jazz! thread - http://forum.mymorningjacket.com/index.php/topic,16846.0.html). We got the more expensive tickets, so we could be a little closer. Pat's new band is called the Pat Metheny Unity Group. His band now includes Chris Potter, Ben Williams, Antonio Sanchez, and the addition of multi-instrumentalist Giulio Carmassi (Antonio Sanchez has been Pat's drummer for many, many years). The show was really good. They played without an opening act, and the show lasted about 2 hours and 40 minutes. We also got a couple of Pat's guitar picks when the show was over.

Here are a few photos I took.

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

oistheone

Sick shots Mr. White! Looks like payin' for the good seats was worth it! Sounds like an awesome show for sure.

Mr. White

Quote from: oistheone on Feb 20, 2014, 09:39 PM
Sick shots Mr. White! Looks like payin' for the good seats was worth it! Sounds like an awesome show for sure.

Thanks! My brother and I were 8 rows back for the majority of the show. When some folks got up to leave right before Pat and the band came back out for a couple of encores (they must have had baby-sitters waiting on them or some other weak reason to not stick around for the best part of the show), we became what we used to call "grave robbers" - we took their empty 3rd row seats. My photos were not all that great, in my opinion. They were being really strict about not letting people take pictures or videos, so I only took a few. When I did dare to snap a quick shot, I kept my camera at about chest level and really close to my body. Therefore, I had to try to shoot between the people seated directly in front of us. I had to crop most of the photos to make them look as good as they do.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

oistheone

:grin: I'm familiar with both your techniques! Both the "camera at chest level to avoid persecution" and the "sneakin' up to better seats during the encore". One thing you can always count on at a show is suckers leaving early. And hardcore music fans like us will forever benefit from said suckers.

MarkW

J Roddy Walston & The Business last at a small venue in Manchester (UK) last night.  Small, quiet crowd (125?), but the band gave it everything.  The audience warmed up towards  What a show.  I think that's what marks out a great performer for me - whether it's 100 or 100,000 in the audience, they still bring the noise.

Awesome.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

johnnYYac

Quote from: MarkW on Feb 27, 2014, 03:52 AM
J Roddy Walston & The Business last at a small venue in Manchester (UK) last night.  Small, quiet crowd (125?), but the band gave it everything.  The audience warmed up towards  What a show.  I think that's what marks out a great performer for me - whether it's 100 or 100,000 in the audience, they still bring the noise.

Awesome.
Mark, I saw them in a small Mississippi riverbank town in Iowa, maybe 20 people, only a few of whom had any idea who J. RW&TB were.  Most were there for regular Friday night drinkin'.  The boys rocked hard and gave it all.  Being the only one who came from out of town, specifically to see them, it was almost like a private show.  This was only a few months ago. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MarkW

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 27, 2014, 12:04 PM
Quote from: MarkW on Feb 27, 2014, 03:52 AM

Awesome.
Mark, I saw them in a small Mississippi riverbank town in Iowa, maybe 20 people, only a few of whom had any idea who J. RW&TB were.  Most were there for regular Friday night drinkin'.  The boys rocked hard and gave it all.  Being the only one who came from out of town, specifically to see them, it was almost like a private show.  This was only a few months ago.

Cool.  I had a brief word to say thanks to JRW afterwords.  He was polite and gracious.  He also appears to enjoy a can or two of Red Stripe lager.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

LBSUNFLWR

Saw Gregory Alan Isakov and Josh Ritter play an acoustic show at Headliner's in Louisville Monday night. Great performances by both, as expected...but it really wasn't a show for standing and GA. Would have been so much better at The Brown. In other cities they played theaters.

still a really lovely time, and two singer/songwriters I go see any and every chance I get! To have seen them together is just bonus!