What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajclements004

I saw Moon Taxi play a sold out show at Headliners  Louisville last Friday night.  Those guys are the shit!

MMPJ6306

Just got back from seeing The Men at Bowery Ballroom. They were a lot of fun, but they didn't play a single song from Open Your Heart AND THEY PLAYED FOR ONE HOUR TOTAL.

Granted, the ticket was $15 and they play in NYC at least twice a year but still.

Sometimes you just need a reminder as to exactly how special an MMJ show is.
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

johnnYYac

Last night in Iowa City.  What an inspiration!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

MarkW

Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 06, 2014, 12:09 PM

Any closer to the stage and you'd have been singing backing vocals.  Did she put on a good show - I'd love to see her live.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

marino13

White Denim and The Districts in Peoria, IL.  Good night with a crowd of about 250 at a nice new venue.  First time seeing The Districts, they were really good. 

LBSUNFLWR

T. Hardy Morris Saturday night at Zanzabar in Louisville.
There were about 10 people there by the stage during his set, it was awesome!! He was opening for Robert Ellis...we stayed for 2 of his songs and left, just wasn't into it. T. Hardy was real good though as was his band!

johnnYYac

Quote from: MarkW on Mar 06, 2014, 12:29 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Mar 06, 2014, 12:09 PM

Any closer to the stage and you'd have been singing backing vocals.  Did she put on a good show - I'd love to see her live.
It was a great show, tons of fun.  I haven't moved like that in a while, still sore.  I WISH I had her energy!  I was front row, one seat away from steps to the stage.  She was recruiting folks to come up on stage to dance, but a couple to my right (who I later learned had seats almost at the back of the theater, then sleazed their way to the rail) were doing the full deadhead, arm flow dancing shit and got pulled on stage, where they embarrassed themselves.  Another guy got on just prior and was all smooth with his moves and even sang along with Sharon into her mic (he had a good voice, too).  After that, it would have been a hard act to follow, so I'm glad I missed my chance to get up there.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

parkervb

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Mar 06, 2014, 03:05 PM
There were about 10 people there by the stage during his set, it was awesome!! He was opening for Robert Ellis...we stayed for 2 of his songs and left, just wasn't into it. T. Hardy was real good though as was his band!

Would love to catch THM. Not familiar with Robert Ellis
Don't you ever turn it off

Fully

I got to do something very unusual Friday night. I went to a taping of Bluegrass Underground on PBS. On the lineup was Davina and the Vagabonds, Michael Martin Murphy, Steep Canyon Rangers, and Jason Isbell. I didn't really know what I was getting into or how awesome it would be, but without realizing it, I crossed an experience off my musical bucket list. The Volcano Room is 333 ft underground and has ridiculously great acoustics. It's also incredibly beautiful. Every act was good  although MMM was my least favorite even though his guitar player was the shit. I'd never heard of Davina and the Vagabonds before, but she has an incredible voice. I had only seen Steep Canyon Rangers as a backing band for Steve Martin. They were way better by themselves. I'd  love to see them again anytime. Then came Isbell and the 400 unit. I've seen him several times before. They were great as usual. The cave was the star of the show to me. It's beauty was awe inspiring and the sound in that room made every act shine a bit brighter.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 08, 2014, 11:05 AM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Mar 06, 2014, 03:05 PM

Would love to catch THM. Not familiar with Robert Ellis

I wasn't either. I really didn't give him too much of a chance, but after 2 songs I could tell I wasn't into him. Just did not like his singing voice at all.

I did say hi to T. Hardy and shake his hand and told him how much I like his new album.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: Fully on Mar 10, 2014, 10:11 AM
Then came Isbell and the 400 unit. I've seen him several times before. They were great as usual. The cave was the star of the show to me. It's beauty was awe inspiring and the sound in that room made every act shine a bit brighter.

This looks incredible!!

YimYodd

Quote from: Fully on Mar 10, 2014, 10:11 AM
The Volcano Room is 333 ft underground and has ridiculously great acoustics. It's also incredibly beautiful. The cave was the star of the show to me. It's beauty was awe inspiring and the sound in that room made every act shine a bit brighter.

Glad you enjoyed it , Fully!
I watch the tv show all the time& hope to make it down to the Underground later this year. Gotta be a one of a kind experience!
Must of been a great weekend for you with White Denim in Nville the next nite!
My heart pumps away for your loving touch, My Sweet Juls. You know I never, I Never Could Get Enough

Fully

It was Yim. If you go, book a cabin at Rock island instead of staying in McMinnville bc McMinnville hotels are awful. Our doorknob fell off and I could hear the guy next door clear his throat all night

weeniebeenie

Just saw Neil Finn at the Sydney Opera house!!!! He played a lot of songs from his new album Dizzy Heights which were so good and plenty of crowd pleasers. Very happy indeed. :smiley:
How loud can silence get?

Crispy

Quote from: weeniebeenie on Mar 21, 2014, 10:03 AM
Just saw Neil Finn at the Sydney Opera house!!!! He played a lot of songs from his new album Dizzy Heights which were so good and plenty of crowd pleasers. Very happy indeed. :smiley:

WOW!  :shocked:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Mr. White

Last night (March 20, 2014) I got to go to my first J. Roddy Walston & The Business concert. It took place at Headliners Music Hall in Louisville. The opening act was a local band named Discount Guns. I thought they did a pretty good job.

I got to Headliners about a half hour before they opened the doors, so as soon as they let us in, I went upstairs to claim my spot on the balcony railing, right in the middle. I recorded several songs (that are posted in the J. Roddy thread). Since there was nobody in my way, I could hold the camera down low so I wouldn't disturb those around me. Before J. Roddy took the stage, I noticed a few Forum members were down near the right side of the stage. I saw deidralynn, toretm, and SaraBananaBear. I didn't get a chance to say hello since I wanted to keep my spot on the balcony rail. I also saw Patrick Hallahan hanging out at the bar area. He was still there as I was heading out after the show, so I decided to say hi. I talked with Patrick for about 2 or 3 minutes. It was my first time meeting him, and he was just as friendly as others here have described him to be. We talked about a neighbor of his I know and about how much J. Roddy rocked the place. I had also picked up J. Roddy's 2 albums on vinyl, and they caught Patrick's eye. I'm glad I waited to get his albums until the show. That way, most if not all of the money will go directly to him and his band instead of to all the middle men.

Here are a few photos I took.

Louisville's own Discount Guns

J. Roddy Walston & The Business

Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

manonthemoon

...And you will know us by the trail of dead just melted the faces off of DC over at the Rock and Roll Hotel.  They played Sources and Tag Codes in its entirety and a few other gems and an encore as well.  Playing all the way throughout the crowd, playing while body surfing, having random people get up on stage to sing along.  The entire crowd jumping and rocking out, good times.  These guys never disappoint and always make it a point o talk to the crowd after the show and sign whatever you want.  Definately what I needed given a week of being sick and backlogged at work.  One of the best live bands out there, they always bring it no matter what night it is.
Alive or Just Breathing

Gina

Saw PHJB last Saturday in Greensboro, NC.  They were good, but looked really tired or solemn in comparison to OBH.  I am thinking, they were on a vacation in Mexico and were very relaxed, having a good time themselves...and now they are on tour, which certainly can takes its toll.  Also, Ben wasn't with them.

Still, it was an outstanding show, they were great, they covered about 50% of their new release.  The theater there is beautiful too.  There was a drop down pit in front of the stage made available for dancing.  It took half a show and two women to break the ice and run down to the pit to dance.  It didn't take long after that for it to fill up.  Even Clint commented that it was really cool for them to see people dancing, and he thanked them for that. 

I recommend catching them on tour if you can.   :beer:

LBSUNFLWR

Saw Real Estate in Nashville Saturday night.
First time at Exit/In. Very cool venue.
We got there before the opening act and got a spot upstairs leaning on the ledge of the balcony, perfect!! Opening band was Pure X. They were interesting and good. I had not heard them before.

Real Estate was excellent. That guitar player just blows me away. Their songs sound just like they do on the album live, but for them I like that. Good mix of songs on Days and the new album and a few from their first album, which I am not familiar with.

Loved the show! Loved the venue. Worth travelling to Nashville for!