What Show Did You Just See?

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Quote from: pattilovesmmj on Jul 30, 2014, 09:45 AM
Jack White
Need I say more?

Yeah, that guy is pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

And Mr. White, Pat Metheny! He was my first concert-going experience back in the mid-80s.  :beer:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

dmooney99

saw Temples last night, they played a free show in philly at Morgan's Pier..  Opening band was called Spires. Decent/young "psychedelic" band from New York.  Temples came on around 11 and played a Fun/energetic 10 song set for about an hour. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOnl1z0cfBk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bwqS-8BIPk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByWXUelZiX0

Come Closer

I saw Nas perform Illmatic last night. He did an encore that included Hate Me Now, Made You Look, and One Mic. Illmatic is probably my favorite hip hop album, so it was a treat to see him do it from start to finish. Before the concert, they showed a documentary about the album called Time is Illmatic. The film wasn't really about the making of the album, it was more biographical in nature. The doc was quite entertaining, definitely worth checking out.

TheThird

Quote from: dmooney99 on Aug 07, 2014, 06:27 PM
saw Temples last night, they played a free show in philly at Morgan's Pier..  Opening band was called Spires. Decent/young "psychedelic" band from New York.  Temples came on around 11 and played a Fun/energetic 10 song set for about an hour. 

Saw Temples last Wednesday and thoroughly enjoyed it. They could easily become a psychedelic jam band if they desired, as they ended on a 15 minute jam that was just spectacular. The entire show had a great energy about it. They also used a "live" lights display - three projectors were set up while three stage hands mixed dyes throughout the show to create an ever changing backdrop which was cool and different.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

parkervb

saw Futurebirds in a tiny little venue on Friday.  They were great.  Did an amazing cover of Brooks and Dunn's Neon Moon.  Played some great new songs.  Nice kids, said they would love to open for Jacket on their tour next year. 
Don't you ever turn it off

TheThird

I saw Caribou last night and it was absolutely a blast. Definitely the most fun I've had at a show outside of a Jacket or Springsteen concert. While I'm not sure what the forum thinks of his music, there's something magical about dancing crazy and not giving two shits what anyone thinks.
[url="http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection"]http://www.discogs.com/user/TheThird/collection[/url]

MarkW

Rival Sons last week in Manchester, UK.  Equally as good in a 1500-capacity place as they were in a 300-capacity venue earlier in the year.  Great sound, and had the whole crowd jumping by the end.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

rincon2

Just saw American Football with my sons, both in early 20's. Never heard of them, but my son wanted to go for his 21st B-day with me and his brother. They made one album in 1999, and broke up. Now doing a mini tour. My boys usually like pretty hardcore stuff, both being 10 year veterans of Warped, plus recent Coachella shows, but American Football is the most relaxing guitar based band I have ever heard. Sounds good in the studio, but in a packed theater like the Fonda, it made me want to find a place to lie down. I read they are part of what is called "Math Rock". Never heard of it.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: Osistheones on Oct 05, 2014, 11:51 AM
I saw Nas perform Illmatic last night. He did an encore that included Hate Me Now, Made You Look, and One Mic. Illmatic is probably my favorite hip hop album, so it was a treat to see him do it from start to finish. Before the concert, they showed a documentary about the album called Time is Illmatic. The film wasn't really about the making of the album, it was more biographical in nature. The doc was quite entertaining, definitely worth checking out.

watched this documentary last night, recorded on tv. it was real good.

LBSUNFLWR

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit
Palace Theatre - Louisville, KY
12-31-2014

1.Decoration Day
2.Stockholm 
3.Go It Alone 
4.Flying Over Water 
5.Goddamn Lonely Love 
6.Tour Of Duty 
7.Alabama Pines 
8.Live Oak 
9.Different Days 
10.Yvette 
11.Codeine 
12.New South Wales 
13.Cover Me Up 
14.Relatively Easy 
15.Traveling Alone 
16.Mutineer  (Warren Zevon cover)

Encore:
17.Super 8 
18.Outfit 
19.Heart On A String 
20.Never Gonna Change

:thumbsup: great night!

he.who.forgets

Murph

Titus Andronicus!!  Finally saw these guys and they didn't disappoint.  I havent mosh pitted like that in quite some time.  They played a free show at this place Brooklyn Night Bazaar, which can only be described as some sort of hipster carnival.  Cool place, i'd definitely go back.

weeniebeenie

I haven't posted in ages so it's not the concert I just saw but last saw. Paul Kelly (awesome, incredible Australian songwriter) at Taronga Zoo (which is kind of on the harbour so the scenery was great). Amazing show.
How loud can silence get?

LBSUNFLWR

Saw Fleetwood Mac last night at the Yum Center in Louisville.
really great show. Wish I had spent more $$ on better seats...I really don't like arena shows. But they have been on my wish list for a long time and they sounded really great!!

They play the same set every night so I knew what to expect. Gold Dust Woman and Silver Springs were the highlights for me. I love the Stevie songs most!!

1.   The Chain
2.   You Make Loving Fun
3.   Dreams
4.   Second Hand News
5.   Rhiannon
6.   Everywhere
7.   I Know I'm Not Wrong
8.   Tusk
9.   Sisters of the Moon
10.   Say You Love Me
11.   Seven Wonders
12.   Big Love
13.   Landslide
14.   Never Going Back Again
15.   Over My Head
16.   Gypsy
17.   Little Lies
18.   Gold Dust Woman
19.   I'm So Afraid
20.   Go Your Own Way
21.   Encore:
21.   World Turning
22.   Don't Stop
23.   Silver Springs
24.   Encore 2:
24.   Songbird

johnnYYac

[rant]I was very tempted to see the Fleetwood Mac show nearest Iowa City, but I just can't justify paying well over $100 for decent seats or taking nosebleeds.  I get they're a great band with extensive history and I would love to see them, but the same thing happened with The Who and AC/DC.  I'd rather spend $150 on Forecastle or Solid Sound than on a mid-level arena seat for one band. 

I paid just about $100 for Neil Young (w/Everest and Patti Smith opening) and $120 for nosebleeds for Roger Waters The Wall.  They were great shows, but I'm not sure any band is worth more than $100 for a 2-3 hour show.

I've wanted to take my daughters to some of their pop faves, but ticket prices are just out of control.  So, for now, I'm sticking with festivals (Forecastle) and local shows (DBT, Real Estate, Foxygen, Diamond Rugs, Father John Misty, etc. all for $10-$25 each).[/rant]
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LBSUNFLWR

I agree with you completely, and that's why I sat out when FM came around to the same venue last year. But now with the whole band back together we decided to just go, and we bought tickets for my bf's parents for Christmas so the 4 of us could go. If it had been just 2 tickets we would have gone for the over $100 tickets and tried for better seats, but we stuck with the top, on the side at around $70 per ticket. And it was worth it bc the show was great! And his parents were thrilled.

But I can see a show at Headliners for under $30, and have seen Real Estate twice this past year for $20. We have seen some really great shows for $10 and $15 and been 15-20 feet from the band! No comparison.

That's why I decided not to get tickets for Stevie Wonder even though it would probably be a cool show!! But once a year, a splurge on a band like Fleetwood Mac, when it may be my one and only chance in my lifetime to see them, I'd go for it.

weeniebeenie

I saw Soundgarden this past Thursday and Saturday. I got to hear Kyle Petty (Son of Richard), Blind Dogs, Flower, Incessant Mace, Birth Ritual and so much more. I'm still a bit  :cheesy:
And I met Ross Halfin too! He gave me one of Chris's pics.
How loud can silence get?

manonthemoon

Just caught a few The Mountain Goats shows over the past week, each were awesome and once again proved to me that Darnielle is the greatest lyricist out there today.  All of the songs are so vivid and his stage presence is second to none.  I could almost just watch a show of just his banter and storytelling.  Good way to start off a spring full of concerts.
Alive or Just Breathing

manonthemoon

Weedeater in Philly, an electric show as always.  Crowd was hot and heavy, fantastic pit, so much energy.  Just hoping that the boys bring it tomorrow as these past few shows are going to be hard to top  :thumbsup:.
Alive or Just Breathing

LBSUNFLWR

Sufjan Stevens was quite impressive Saturday night. His voice and band were just perfect. Plus they had beautiful images of nature, and I think his old home movies on a big screen behind them. The images and the lights added a lot to his music.
Played the entire new album and then thanked the audience for letting them play all the new stuff first...

April 18, 2015
Murat Theatre, Indianapolis, IN

1.Redford (For Yia-Yia & Pappou)
2. Death With Dignity
3. Should Have Known Better
4. Drawn to the Blood
5. All of Me Wants All of You
6. Eugene
7. John My Beloved
8. The Only Thing
9. Fourth of July
10. No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross
11. Carrie & Lowell
12. The Owl and the Tanager
13. In the Devil's Territory
14. To Be Alone With You
15. Futile Devices
16. Sister
17. Blue Bucket of Gold (with extended outro)

Encore:
18. Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois
19. For the Widows in Paradise, For the Fatherless in Ypsilanti
20. The Dress Looks Nice on You (for Dawn Landes "who sang her heart out tonight")
21. John Wayne Gacy, Jr.
22. Chicago