***Official*** Black Keys Thread

Started by capt. scotty, Dec 24, 2010, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oistheone

Quote from: ALady on Oct 26, 2011, 04:11 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 26, 2011, 10:23 AM
by Pat's ex wife...

http://www.salon.com/2011/03/03/grollmus_divorce_from_black_keys/

Damn, I'm glad I finally read this.  That sounds like an.......unhealthy relationship.

That is an understatement! I don't dig this article at all. It is an engrossing read no doubt but I feel like she shouldn't really have put all that stuff out there. I don't even get that much of a jerk vibe from Pat. Seems just like she was a batshit crazy alcoholic and he had to get outta there to save his sanity.

On a side note, I preordered this album like a sucker, on the promise that I'd be delivered a download of Lonely Boy today. No such luck. Anyone else getting shafted in that department?

Penny Lane

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 26, 2011, 04:34 PM
by Pat's ex wife...

Damn, I'm glad I finally read this.  That sounds like an.......unhealthy relationship.

That is an understatement! I don't dig this article at all. It is an engrossing read no doubt but I feel like she shouldn't really have put all that stuff out there. I don't even get that much of a jerk vibe from Pat. Seems just like she was a batshit crazy alcoholic and he had to get outta there to save his sanity.

On a side note, I preordered this album like a sucker, on the promise that I'd be delivered a download of Lonely Boy today. No such luck. Anyone else getting shafted in that department?

i don't think either come across badly...
just a typical story, married young, touring musician, partying, infidelity...I think she's a good writer and i like all the early on stuff about the Akron music scene..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

oistheone

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 26, 2011, 04:42 PM
by Pat's ex wife...

just a typical story, married young, touring musician, partying, infidelity...I think she's a good writer and i like all the early on stuff about the Akron music scene..

A good writer indeed! Maybe it was just the subject matter that left me with bad vibes.

ALady

Quote from: Penny Lane on Oct 26, 2011, 04:42 PM
by Pat's ex wife...

I think Patrick comes off pretty well.  She comes off as a bitter nutter.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Penny Lane

Quote from: ALady on Oct 26, 2011, 06:09 PM

I think Patrick comes off pretty well.  She comes off as a bitter nutter.

Exactly.

Pat always seems like the nice one and Dan A is the a-hole.
(at least every interview I've read, this article backs that up, i can totally picture him like that in high school)..

e_wind

I agree, Pen. Once I said that Dan seemed like he had a KoL ish attitude and people almost started a riot cause they thought I was so wrong. He just seems like an asshole.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ALady

From limited personal experience (and conversations with people who have actually worked with him extensively) Dan is a pretty gracious, down to earth dude.

megalicious

I have a ridiculous crush on Patrick, y'all.
:-*
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

Eweezy

Love the new record.  Gold on the Ceiling, Little Black Submarines, and of course Lonely Boy are the standouts for me, now.  Listened to it all day @ work and loving it.  Really enjoyed their live streaming concert on MTV Hive last night, they sounded great, too. :thumbsup:
Yikes!

Murph

Ticketmaster fucks me once again.  I was on the website at 9:59, still could not get a single ticket to the MSG show, but there somehow is about 7500 tickets on StubHub already

marino13

I consider you to be like the Cardinals with Pujols.  Sucks right now that you didn't get the tickets, but in the long run it probably wasn't worth $60 for shitty seats and a 75 minute show that poorly recreates the songs from the last two albums.  I've seen them in concert twice now and I think I'll just stick to enjoying the albums from here on out.   Spend that hard earned money on a MMJ, Wilco, Radiohead, Avetts or Delta Spirit show, just to name a few.  Plenty of other good concert talent out there to be had (back to the baseball analogy)!

YouAre_GivenToFly

It came to about $71 per ticket here in Philly. I'll pass and see 4 J Roddy shows for that  ;D
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Northern Neighbour

I picked up tickets for their Montreal show in March.  Looking forward to it, although I miss the days of paying $20 to see them.

As for their latest album, it's quite good, but not as good as "Brothers" or their earlier stuff.  Actually, this might be one of their weakest albums, but that just shows how good their other albums have been.

Penny Lane

Quote from: marino13 on Dec 09, 2011, 11:47 AM
I consider you to be like the Cardinals with Pujols.  Sucks right now that you didn't get the tickets, but in the long run it probably wasn't worth $60 for shitty seats and a 75 minute show that poorly recreates the songs from the last two albums.  I've seen them in concert twice now and I think I'll just stick to enjoying the albums from here on out.   Spend that hard earned money on a MMJ, Wilco, Radiohead, Avetts or Delta Spirit show, just to name a few.  Plenty of other good concert talent out there to be had (back to the baseball analogy)!

i still think they're great live but i'm kinda over seeing them....love the albums but won't pay the prices or deal with the crowds---i'm glad I got to see them so much in the past years, they deserve all the accolades they're getting but unless i somehow get to see them in a smaller venue, i doubt i'll ever see them again live..

MMJ are the only band I'd deal with that for..

e_wind

Quote from: Penny Lane on Dec 09, 2011, 12:01 PM
Quote from: marino13 on Dec 09, 2011, 11:47 AM

i still think they're great live but i'm kinda over seeing them....love the albums but won't pay the prices or deal with the crowds---i'm glad I got to see them so much in the past years, they deserve all the accolades they're getting but unless i somehow get to see them in a smaller venue, i doubt i'll ever see them again live..

MMJ are the only band I'd deal with that for..

agree with all of this. 25$ to see them in iroquois amphitheater 15 months ago! it holds 2500 seats! It was one of my favorite shows EVER.  The smaller venue shows were awesome, cause it was always LOUD and intimate. the only way i can see them being fun.

At hangout fest after 1.5 songs we walked away from them. The crowd was awful, the sound was awful, and unfortunately thats how they're going to be from now on. On the last day of their NYE run last year in chicago we were in the back, and after 2 previous nights, it just sucked. They lack longevity and replay value in my mind.

and on NYE they played for almost 2 hours. weak. im rambling now.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

capt. scotty

Id never pay over $35-40 to see them live, especially in an arena or amphitheater. Theyre fun live, but if you put their albums on shuffle and crank them up in your car, you getting almost the same experience.

As for El Camino, I find myself liking the 2nd half (Sister -> Mind Eraser) much more than the first half. Money Maker, Run Right Back, and Gold on the Ceiling dont do much for me. Hell Of A Season is becoming a favorite and I dont think Ive seen anyone anywhere single it out. The reggaed out breakdown is awesome.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

subinai

according to brooklynvegan they sold out MSG and added a 2nd night, i think march 22nd. pretty crazy.

ALady

Really interesting interview/article here:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/11/the-black-keys-brothers-in-arms/

This section is pretty telling, IMO:

Brothers had become the best-selling alternative album of 2010, and The Black Keys found themselves saddled with a new list of expectations from their label, their fans and themselves. They'd gone from Midwest underdogs to Nashville pack leaders in less than twelve months. Recording another album as soon as possible was one method of keeping things under control. This way, they wouldn't risk falling down the rabbit hole by giving themselves half a year – their typical break between album cycles – to overthink Brothers' success.

There was a problem, though. In their rush to make a new album that didn't feel like a response to the last one, The Black Keys hadn't written any songs. With past recording sessions, the guys had done their homework beforehand, coming into the studio with something – a chord progression, a lyric idea, a drum sound – to get the wheels rolling. This time, they started from scratch every single day, splitting the songwriting duties three ways with co-producer Brian Burton, aka Danger Mouse. Songs would be written in hour-long bursts of inspiration, then reworked several times over the course of a few days. Once everyone settled on an arrangement, things would start moving faster, with most of the tunes being recorded in one or two takes. Still, it took a long time to reach that point.

"We were in the studio for 41 days," says Auerbach, "but it was off and on. We'd go on tour, come home for a week, go out on tour again, come back for another week. It took longer than any record we've ever done. And everything – everything – was labored over."

Eweezy

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 09, 2011, 03:45 PM
Id never pay over $35-40 to see them live, especially in an arena or amphitheater. Theyre fun live, but if you put their albums on shuffle and crank them up in your car, you getting almost the same experience.

As for El Camino, I find myself liking the 2nd half (Sister -> Mind Eraser) much more than the first half. Money Maker, Run Right Back, and Gold on the Ceiling dont do much for me. Hell Of A Season is becoming a favorite and I dont think Ive seen anyone anywhere single it out. The reggaed out breakdown is awesome.

The more I have listened to this record Hell Of A Season might be the best track.  Little Black Submarines has to be my 1b then.
Yikes!