Turds in the Caviar - Bad Songs on Good Albums

Started by el_chode, Dec 28, 2010, 09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

AVClub has a list.

Agree/disagree/suggestions?

Personally, I really agree with the India Song and half agree with the Wilco inclusion. Dismemberment Plan songs always seem to be turds at first, and I know there' gotta be more. I'm just not coffee'd up enough to think.
I'm surrounded by assholes

wolof7

Read this article yesterday. Have to agree with the Belle and Sebastian song...Not a huge fan but was digging this album when it came out and when it got to 'Electronic Rennaisance' it was a 'wtf' moment not in a good way.

I totally agree with Wilco, the song starts off boring and although I get the 'pain-by-proxy-drone-experience' it's unlistenable.

I also agree with the Bealtes. The avant garde excuse is not an excuse for me because pretty much all avant garde is shit.

I Disagree with Prince and Bruce. And although Comes a Time by Neil Young is a solid album, there are several questionable songs on side B imho.
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

TheBigChicken

most of that article is grade A horseshit
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

bearass

Brother Beck

Okay, I realize that this isn't exactly the point of this thread, but it sort of fits here and I want to know what other people think. 

My girlfriend got me the Bruce Springsteen box set The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story for Christmas, and I have been watching the DVDs and listening to the CDs.  Through all of the printed material and footage of them making the record, it is pointed out time and time again that Bruce Springsteen had an overall idea/theme for the record that was pretty heavy, and he cut all of the songs that were light or happy or poppy to keep with that idea, even if the songs were great in and of themselves.  I've read about how he works and even tracked down some of his other unreleased stuff, so none of that was a surprise to me.

Then I listen to the actual album Darkness on the Edge of Town itself.  (I had heard some of the songs before, but had never listened to the entire album.)  First of all, I have to say it is an absolutely amazing record, but one song stuck out like a sore thumb to me – Prove It All Night.  The album is made up of nine songs that are all very heavy, dealing with the harsh realities of adult life, and then one up-beat, catchy love song-ish type number.

I know many Bruce fans consider this to be his greatest album, and it is phenomenal, I was just wondering if anybody else ever noticed this or if it's just me.                 

Coltrane

Weird. I ALWAYS skip Rainy Day Women on Blonde on Blonde, and I usually don't skip anything on any Dylan record.

And Motorcycle Mama rules!!!!!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Ghosts_on_TV

Drugs or me is a pretty terrible song. That albums good though.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

bowl of soup

Quote from: bearass on Jan 02, 2011, 11:46 PM
chillout tent is a solid song

Agreed.  But Silver on Doolittle by the Pixies (Greatest album ever) is not.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.