Main Menu

Deer Tick

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robb

Quote from: oistheone on Oct 11, 2013, 01:43 AM
Saw Deer Tick tonight and they killed it. FUCKING KILLED IT!!! Included an awesome cover of Lou Reed's "Hanging 'Round" in their set. Got to hang with the band after and what a buncha guys . Unforgettable night!

i got an email from a friend saying last night's show was by far the best tick show she's been to and she's seen 20+.  insanely excited for tonight in detroit.
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

robb

i'm not sure if john took a temporary detour from sobreity or if he's off the wagon, but he was pretty drunk in detroit on friday.

manonthemoon

Just saw this tweeted out, now I am thinking of adding the Philly Date since J Roddy will be there as well.  Two days in a row of Roddy is looking awesome.

http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/326013
Alive or Just Breathing

joey_rogo

Deer Tick has been cancelling shows due to a "medical emergency." Hope all is well with the guys. Anyone know what's going on?

manonthemoon

Quote from: joey_rogo on Oct 30, 2013, 02:19 PM
Deer Tick has been cancelling shows due to a "medical emergency." Hope all is well with the guys. Anyone know what's going on?

I think I saw a tweet from them saying it was a family emergency back home that someone had to deal with.  Hopefully everything turns out well.
Alive or Just Breathing

zanjam

Oy..hadn't heard that they had cancelled shows.  Just saw them last week and had a few observations:

1) Definitely not sober.  Maybe cutting back, but in no way are these guys (or JM,in particular) pretending to be sober.  Keeping it together a little more, definitely.  But not sober, no way no how.

2) That was the worst, most drunk ass crowd I have ever seen in my entire life.  And every single person screamed every single lyric to every single song. 

3) Ian killed it on Dream's in the Ditch.  He is phenomenal.  Love Dennis Ryan,too.  And I just can not get sick of JM on vox, either.  Really wish they had played Hey Doll but you can't win em all.

4) Negativity is fantastic.  Yea, take out Just Friends...and maybe one or two others.  But so many of them are phenomenal.  The Rock, The Curtain, Hey Doll, Pot of Gold and the rest...  Solid.

5) Pot of Gold = The first Deervana original, agreed.  Trash = Let me Roll it + Hate it Here?  Let me stew on that one and get back to you.

Conclusion - the era of seeing DT in small clubs is drawing to a close.  If they don't self destruct, they will grow into venues bigger than we all want to see them in, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.  This is a saga that is to be continued...

anything + reverb always = better

robb

Quote from: zanjam on Nov 01, 2013, 12:55 AM
Conclusion - the era of seeing DT in small clubs is drawing to a close.  If they don't self destruct, they will grow into venues bigger than we all want to see them in, but maybe that's not such a bad thing.  This is a saga that is to be continued...

I thought it WAS over already.  When the Detroit show was announced it was in a much bigger venue, but plans changed I guess and it got moved to my favorite venue in town.

buaawwww

The Webster Hall show last night was incredible.  Played a good bunch of songs from Divine Providence which made me happy and they sounded great.  Can't wait to see them again!

Murph

Quote from: buaawwww on Nov 08, 2013, 03:41 PM
The Webster Hall show last night was incredible.  Played a good bunch of songs from Divine Providence which made me happy and they sounded great.  Can't wait to see them again!

Yea man that show was great.  I was standing near a group of 3 kids who had come down from Canada just for the show and also a group of kids who came from CT and had seen them 10 times on this tour alone.  I knew people loved Deer Tick but I had no idea that had an actual following like that

headhunter

I was on the rail for the Webster Hall show with Brooke & Fiddle Castro.  DT was loud and proud and the sold out place really was enthusiastic.  Seems like this band has finally broken through.  A really great show with terrific energy and a tight band.  Loved it.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

MMPJ6306

just got tickets for their march show at the allen room at lincoln center. i had heard of but never heard them before PC1 and they blew me away. can't wait to see them in this amazing room-

http://www.blogdeviagens.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/lincoln_center___the_allen_room.jpg
6/3/06, 10/22/10, 6/7/11 12/14, 7/28/12 8/17 12/27 12/28, 7/26/13 10/12, 7/31/15 11/27, 4/29/16

mahg33ta

Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Nov 13, 2013, 06:55 PM
just got tickets for their march show at the allen room at lincoln center. i had heard of but never heard them before PC1 and they blew me away. can't wait to see them in this amazing room-

http://www.blogdeviagens.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/lincoln_center___the_allen_room.jpg

yeah that venue looks spectacular.   High ticket prices and the fact I don't live in NYC are holding me back from pulling the trigger.

Ruckus

Quote from: mahg33ta on Nov 14, 2013, 10:21 AM
Quote from: MMPJ6306 on Nov 13, 2013, 06:55 PM

yeah that venue looks spectacular.   High ticket prices and the fact I don't live in NYC are holding me back from pulling the trigger.
What's the point of a seated Deer Tick show?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

joey_rogo

A few new dates:

3/5  - Norfolk, CT @ Infinity Hall
3/6 - NYC @ Lincoln Center
3/7 - Albany, NY @ The Hollow  :cheesy:
3/8 - Northampton, MA @ Pearl St Nightclub
3/14 - Providence, RI @ Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel

mahg33ta

w Toy Soldiers, too.   That's a nice double bill (they played at Deer Tick's Dudesmash and were really good IMO)

joey_rogo

Never heard Toy Soldiers. Looking forward to it.

joey_rogo

How was the NYC show??

EDIT:

http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/03/07/live-review-deer-tick-at-new-york-citys-the-allen-room-36/

whoa...

Sounds like a pretty unique show. I've always wanted to see John play Christ Jesus alone at a piano. Jealous.

adam_pliskow

I was there last night.  It was one of those great shows that stay with you.  Simply amazing.  The band sounded great and the Allen room is stunning.  20 mostly acoustic songs and John played two solo on the piano.  I've had the pleasure of seeing this band in so many different kinds of venues and they always deliver and play to the crowd.  This crowd was on the sitting down and mellow side.  Def fans, but the room sort of dictated that.  Either way it's hard to put into words what it was like, but this guy did.  The article has some really nice pictures of the show attached to the article.   
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/03/live-review-deer-tick-at-new-york-citys-the-allen-room-36/

joey_rogo

The Albany show was awesome. The guys definitely had fun and the crowd was loud and rowdy. A little too rowdy at a couple points, but very fun. I saw John pull off a move I hadn't seen him do before: he spit into the air and caught it in his mouth whilst rocking out. No Vanessa :( . Met an awesome couple from Ottawa. Still no When She Comes Home for me, but a pretty solid set nonetheless. Now It's Your Turn was fucking awesome. Big House thru Not So Dense were all done with the stripped down, Allen Room style arrangements. John talked about boners after Rocket. He also sang about The Egg. Was fun, can't wait to see them again.

Set:

The Rock
Dreams in the Ditch
Baltimore Blues
Main St
Miss K
The Bump
Easy
Mr Sticks
Big House
Long Time
The Ghost
Make Believe
Not So Dense
Thyme
The Curtain
Rocket In My Pocket
Now It's Your Turn
Born at Zero
These Old Shoes
Ashamed
Sleepwalk/La Bamba

manonthemoon

Saw some new dates pop up today for these guys.  Glad to have a DC date at the Black Cat, haven't been there in ages.
Alive or Just Breathing