Main Menu

Deer Tick

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on Jul 14, 2011, 01:45 PM
Maybe a bit of an old cranky hater.. ;)

Yes, and I'm right there with you. It's the only show I have ever walked out on. I would have been happy with 3 songs in 20 min. I didn't even get that.

mahg33ta

Quote from: mjk73 on Jul 14, 2011, 02:16 PM

Yes, and I'm right there with you. It's the only show I have ever walked out on. I would have been happy with 3 songs in 20 min. I didn't even get that.

Well, I've been lucky so far I guess, or maybe they've matured a bit (when were these events?).   I've seen nothing but normal, full setlist / shows.

mjk73

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jul 14, 2011, 02:19 PM

Well, I've been lucky so far I guess, or maybe they've matured a bit (when were these events?).   I've seen nothing but normal, full setlist / shows.
Last year

Ruckus

Whew!  Thank god you popped in here to remind us one more time of your Deer Tick experience.  Maybe they should change up their set lists some more too. ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

e_wind

Deer Tick fans. This band seems like a band I would love because 1, people say fans of Lucero will be a fan. (I love Lucero) and 2, I'm loving the Middle Brother album. Where with Deer Tick should  I begin?
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Ruckus

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 14, 2011, 03:25 PM
Deer Tick fans. This band seems like a band I would love because 1, people say fans of Lucero will be a fan. (I love Lucero) and 2, I'm loving the Middle Brother album. Where with Deer Tick should  I begin?
Without a doubt get their 1st two, preferably in order.  War Elephant then Born on Flag Day.  Interesting because I could never get into Lucero.  Either way, if you dig Middle Brother and like McCauley's voice, I can't see how you won't enjoy these two albums.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 14, 2011, 03:13 PM

Whew!  Thank god you popped in here to remind us one more time of your Deer Tick experience.  Maybe they should change up their set lists some more too. ;D

you started it, slut...

ewind----get all 3 albums...i like Lucero a lot, too (except for their last album--too 'horny')..you'll love it
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

wolof7

Quote from: mahg33ta on Jul 14, 2011, 09:13 AM
.   But the weather f-ed up our plans and when they moved the show indoors to Lupos, I decided not to go.   Not ready to bring my son to a bar.   Sounds from Wolof's report that I missed another good one. 
>:(
Lastly, they are the source of many humorous tweets and facebook posts.

You made the right choice g33ta if you had your 8 yr old. I saw a grouping of people who had kids between 3-7 y.o. there and it totally didnt work, they looked miserable and had to leave early....It was really loud, reallly dark , really long and really packed, near sellout.

It was a great set, not the best I've ever seen tho....

...Penny I understand your argument. The band has a fly by the seat of their pants vibe live. I do not think they are as drunk all the time as people (myself included) believe them to be. However, if you catch them on an off night, it can be a disaster, I've witnessed this once with them in '07(?) and it wasn't pretty...In fact, I almost wrote them off, thinking the band was a mistake and john should have kept going solo, but now, I digress. 

I for one love the spontaneous vibe, however, if they want to work larger rooms/sheds/amphitheaters, they will most likely have to tighten up their show. I believe if the music is good enough, it can happen without taking away the excitement of the spontenaity < that word is hard to spell......
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

capt. scotty

Quote from: wolof7 on Jul 12, 2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.welcometothewest.ca/

Dont love it, but its solid and has a different sound for them that has me intrigued.

I also almost bought that JRoddy shirt, but didnt because Im a cheap bastard, then a couple months later bought a similar looking shirt at a Delta Spirit show (and coincidentally wore it to the next time I saw JRoddy and he asked me about how I heard about/got into DS)...Now that tha Biz finally have a site and a merch section, I'll probably snag it. Tis a sweet shirt.

also I hate to admit it but I still dont possess War Elephant or the Middle Brother album...shit, what happened to being able to change font size around here, I wanted to make this small.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjk73

Quote from: Ruckus on Jul 14, 2011, 03:13 PM

I had to. It was that awful an experience.

EasyRyder

This is a delayed response, but I just found this on youtube and it has SBD audio. Bonnaroo was my first Deertick show since they never head southeastwards, but this was the moment that sold me in a big way.

I don't know if they're always this powerful live (and judging from Penny's comments theyre not  ;)), but the emotion in this one almost knocked me over.

Deer Tick - Houston, TX (Live from Bonnaroo 2011)
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Sidus

Now you got me watching all their Bonnaroo videos  ;). Really good quality. I'm a fan since I saw them a year ago or something. I didn't really know them before I saw them live, I couldn't get used to his voice I think. Their show was great back then, they weren't that drunk (yet), because it was an early show on a festival. Crowd was much smaller than on these Bonnaroo videos, think they're really unknown in Europe. But it was a great show which turned me into a fan. Since then War Elephant is one of my favorite albums of all time  :). Also later on that festival Phosphorescent was playing and at the last song of the set (think it was "Los Angeles") the guys of Deer Tick joined them (very, very drunk now ;) ) and they jammed together. That was really one of greatest thing I've ever seen live. Loved it! It was such a small crowd and these guys really loved doing what they were doing. Really good to see! Since then I haven't seen Deer Tick again, hopefully they will come back to Europe soon  :)

Ruckus

I would kill for a Phossy/Deer Tick bill. :thumbsup:
They were finally announced for the 930 club on Oct. 16th.  Psyched!  Its been 5 months!

mahg33ta

daytrotter announced their barnstormer series continuing, kicking off in NH w/ 7 more dates to follow (see bottom of page)   looks intriguing

http://www.daytrotter.com/dt/8-26-barnstormer-5-tickets-north-hampton-nh-concert/20055068-3738558.html

wolof7

mahg33ta

thanks wolof - great post.   That footage is fantastic - way better than typical youtube handheld stuff.

Let's definitely cross paths tomorrow at the pregame or show... I want to put a face to my deer tick co-groupie for future shows!

wolof7

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 13, 2011, 06:40 AM
thanks wolof - great post.   That footage is fantastic - way better than typical youtube handheld stuff.

Let's definitely cross paths tomorrow at the pregame or show... I want to put a face to my deer tick co-groupie for future shows!

For sure g33ta, this was some good stuff.....I know people don't prefer the slowed gospel version of Ashamed but I feel like it is definitely solid, espescially Rob's saxaphone solo.

I like how you can get visuals on MacCauley's silver tooth....who the hell does that anymore? he is one interesting fellow...straight baller!

Can't wait for tomorrow it's been just about 1 week under a yr since my last jacket show and it's definitely high time to rejuvenate my soul with  some jacket goodness!

Ruckus

Great vid wolof.  That's a version of Ashamed I can get behind!  McCauley really brought it for the cameras on this one.  They keyboards have added so much depth to their live sound.  New album can't come soon enough.

mahg33ta

I agree - I've been in the Ruckus "no slow ashamed" camp.   But that something completely different - soulful and interesting.   I just don't like the funeral dirge ashamed.   That was great and the sax added a lot.   I love his expression when he runs towards the camera after jumping off stage.   The guy's certainly crazy.

Ruckus

Quote from: mahg33ta on Aug 14, 2011, 08:07 AM
I agree - I've been in the Ruckus "no slow ashamed" camp.   But that something completely different - soulful and interesting.   I just don't like the funeral dirge ashamed.   That was great and the sax added a lot.   I love his expression when he runs towards the camera after jumping off stage.   The guy's certainly crazy.
I couldn't agree more 33.  This is hard for me to call you that as a Laker fan where ironically the owner of that number had 3+3 rings unlike the one in Boston.  I digress.  I should point out to Wolof that it's not necessarily the pacing that bothered me.  This arrangement and McCauley pouring it all in there makes it.  The funky/soulful keys and sax are a bonus.  Just like the solo Houston, TX from Roo that Easy posted, I got no problems with that style.

Also, the now standard acapella version of Dirty Dishes they did during that NYC show with the momentary crunching guitar interlude was sweet.  Found that on Vimeo as well from a fan cam.