Best Rhythm Sections

Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

Though never good at any of them, as someone that dabbled in playing multiple instruments, I was always drawn to a very strong rhythm section.  While those that are consistent and set the foundation for the rest of the music is just fine, I love me some dynamic tandems that pushed the boundaries of the role of the rhythm section, either to move to the forefront of the music or just be technically bad ass!

Some of my favorites.

Geddy Lee and Neil Peart - I mean c'mon.  It just doesn't get any better than this.

John Entwistle and Keith Moon - These guys were just amazing.  They were so unique in the sense that the Who's guitar and keys sections were never that complicated yet behind all that was some always crazy stuff going on between these two.  Moon just took up so much space in the sound playing his midverse fills!

Ron Carter and Tony Williams - The rhythm section for my favorite jazz group of all time, Miles Davis' second Quintet.  Carter was Carter, doing his thing but Tony Williams was something else!  I remember when my friend told me to listen to Miles in Europe and to listen to the drummer.  I was blown away even before he told me that he was just 17 years old! 

Brian Ritchie and Victor DeLorenzo - I'd never heard of anything like them til I first heard the Femmes debut album.  Acoustic bass and a snare with brushes never sounded so awesome.

So many to add but those are a few off the top of my head.  Anyone?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

wolof7

Ruckus I agree with all those. There's a special place in my heart for the Lee/Peart connection.

One Newer band whose rhythm section just kills me with every listen is Jim Eno/Rob Pope of Spoon. They are probably the tightest out there right now. To me transference really displays how the combo can be on point in their driving percision and then they can deconstruct in another song into a cacaphoness mess as if they are giving their instruments a beatdown. It sounds technically simple but the performance is amazing. 
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

woodnymph

I'd just like to add a pinch of Mickey/Billy if I may

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Crispy

Here's one of my favorites, as called out by Duane at the end of Mountain Jam (disregard the inclusion of the 6-string guitar player):

"Berry Oakley! (Dickey Betts) Butch Trucks! Jai Johany Johanson!..."

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

capt. scotty

5 posts in and no Two-Tone and Hallahan mention????

I'll also add:

Mike Gordon/Jon Fishman
Juan Nelson/Leon Mobley/Oliver Charles
John Paul Jones/John Bonham
Derek Smalls/Gregg Bissonette
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ralph

Billy Talbot & Ralph Molina - Crazy Horse.

Missed notes, timing all over the place. Quite often sounds like the whole thing will fall inside itself and end up in a heap. But also perfect...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 30, 2010, 05:35 PM

I'll also add:

Mike Gordon/Jon Fishman

I wouldn't put the 1st tandem anywhere near this list but hey, that's just me.  I meant to include in my initial post that I would 'online exterminate' the 1st person that posted Gordon/Fishman. ;D

It's on! ;D

I think Jones and Bonham as well as Bruce and Baker make these lists on sheer ability alone.  I was just a bigger Who fan than Zep or Cream but yeah, they were amazing!

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 30, 2010, 10:09 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Dec 30, 2010, 05:35 PM

I'll also add:

Mike Gordon/Jon Fishman

I wouldn't put the 1st tandem anywhere near this list but hey, that's just me.  I meant to include in my initial post that I would 'online exterminate' the 1st person that posted Gordon/Fishman. ;D

It's on! ;D

Eat it Rush-boy!! Geddy has never dropped bombs like Cactus Mike
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

TheBigChicken

Al Greens rhythm section...the Hodges. Charles,Teenie ,and Maurice with Al Jackson Jr on drums.....now that shit is tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

el_chode

I'm not sure where to draw the line as to which lineup and what members, but the various incarnations of the Mothers/Mothers of Invention/whoever else would eventually play with Zappa (Napoleon, Ruth, etc)

The Roxy Performances (Raw Unbridledness)
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

As rock rhythm sections go, it's hard to beat the original Experience (Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding really interacted well with their genius leader).

Jazz bands have to have great rhythm sections, more than any other genre given the skill needed (see ensembles anchored or led by the likes of Buddy Rich, Philly Joe Jones, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Billy Cobham etc...) . That being said, several of the most gifted jazz musicians anchored some of John Coltrane most groundbreaking outfits: Elvin Jones on drums, McCoy Tyner on piano and either Paul Chambers or Jimmy Garrison on bass.

With all due respect to my co-favourite band of all-time, The Who, I disagree with Entwistle and Moon being one of the best rhythm sections. Moon's wild out-of-control style was only suitable in The Who (and he thrived off of Townshend's guitar and overall energy, not to mention his songwriting), although Moon did prove himself more than adaptable on Jeff Beck's Truth album. But for my money, in their prime, Entwistle and Moon were the most powerful combo in rock history, period.

I like the Dead's duel drums and especially Phil on bass, but I'll argue the band as a whole made more interesting music during Mickey's imposed "hiatus".

And since my internet name is Jaimoe, I love my co-fav band's "driving" rhythm section, even with newer percussionist Marc Quinones joining Butch and the real Jaimoe. The best post-Oakley section was with Allen Woody on bass and the aforementioned trio (Dickey and Warren Haynes were perfect together during the second most creative and important Allmans' era - late '80s to mid '90s).

Love them Zappa drummers and bassists, but I think Carl Black on the skins was my fav since he kept it simple (Chester Thompson comes in a close second).

Wyman and Watts are underrated too.

EasyRyder

Great picks!! I'll have to add Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell into the mix. I think they are extremely underrated- after all, not many people could claim to have maintained constant rhythm behind Jimi's sprawling guitar brilliance!!

In talking about the Dead, y'all don't forget Bobby Weir! As goofy as he can get, he's one of the best.

For modern day speak, Stanton Moore of Galactic is a powerhouse one man rhythm section and my favorite drummer playing nowadays. Check him out if you haven't yet!

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

pawpaw

"Bootsy" Collins and "Bigfoot" Brailey - Parliament-Funkadelic
George Porter Jr. and "Zigaboo" Modeliste - The Meters
Jack Bruce and Ginger Backer - Cream
Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts - Rolling Stones
Donald "Duck" Dunn and Al Jackson Jr. - Booker T. & the MGs
Robbie Shakespeare and Sly Dunbar - Sly & Robbie
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Jaimoe

Quote from: EasyRyder on Jan 02, 2011, 03:05 PM
Great picks!! I'll have to add Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell into the mix. I think they are extremely underrated- after all, not many people could claim to have maintained constant rhythm behind Jimi's sprawling guitar brilliance!!

In talking about the Dead, y'all don't forget Bobby Weir! As goofy as he can get, he's one of the best.

For modern day speak, Stanton Moore of Galactic is a powerhouse one man rhythm section and my favorite drummer playing nowadays. Check him out if you haven't yet!

Bobby is a great player and I agree that Stanton is terrific, although I don't like Galactic (and I've seen them 3 times live).

TheBigChicken

Tosh/Bunny Wailer....too obvious
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Ruckus

I'm such an all things prog geek and have dug into the old Yes and Dream Theater collection.  It's so sad that Mike Portnoy left Dream Theater but I guess it was bound to happen.  So just wanted to add.

Squire/Bruford - Yes
Myung/Portnoy - Dream Theater - It may not get better than these two for technical ability.

Anyone know what happened to that dude GetintheVan.  I remember him being a Dream Theater encyclopedia when I first joined this forum.

wolof7

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
Squire/Bruford - Yes
Myung/Portnoy - Dream Theater - It may not get better than these two for technical ability.

I'm with you Ruckus, them dogs'll hunt!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

Ruckus

Yeah, was just listening to ELP the other weekend so I'm gonna add Lake and Palmer