Main Menu

Wanda Jackson

Started by BH, Jan 25, 2011, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

I'm sure you have all seen the Wanda Jackson/Jack White album collaboration going around these days.   What I've heard sounds really great and heavier than expected.   Also just read that Carl plays on the album....

QuoteCombine this with a backing band made up of Jack White himself, Jack Lawrence (The Dead Weather/Raconteurs), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), Patrick Keeler (Raconteurs), Ashley Monroe, Jackson Smith, and Karen Elson, to name a few, and the result is a red hot frenzy of horns and guitars, with Jackson's unmistakable voice and charisma breathing new life into each interpretation.

Wanda Jackson w/Jack White - "Shakin' All Over" 1/20 Letterman (TheAudioPerv.com)
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

EasyRyder

HA! Dave completely side-stepped Wanda and shook Jack's hand. WOW. He has to be the classiest ass-hole on planet earth....for this I love him so.

But dang, thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard about the collaboration before, so I'm on it now. What a backing band too (+Carl it might just sound too good)!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Jaimoe

Her new White-produced album is getting good reviews. I'm buying it this week.

EasyRyder

I just started reading into this, and White, Wanda and the Third Man House Band will be playing Conan tonight at 11PM EST. Tune in,  turn on...nvm

Murph

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

HighlySuspicious

Wanda performing "Funnel of Love" with the Third Man Band at Conan last night.  There's a cute interview after the performance too  ;).

http://teamcoco.com/content/wanda-jackson-joined-jack-white-and-band-funnel-love

EasyRyder

i just bought the album, and it is GREAT. what a refreshingly full sound. I'd love to know the specs about how they recorded it...

Jack White does it right. that should be a bumper sticker.

BH

Quote from: EasyRyder on Jan 27, 2011, 12:34 AM
i just bought the album, and it is GREAT. what a refreshingly full sound. I'd love to know the specs about how they recorded it...

Jack White does it right. that should be a bumper sticker.

Did you get a hard copy?   Do you see any reference to Carl in the liner notes?   I haven't picked it up yet, and I've only found that one article that mentions Carl playing on the album.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

EasyRyder

no i crapped out and did the digi copy from iTunes for 9.99. I was having a trembling moment of compulsion.

I listened to it through and through last night, and I think he might be playing slide on "Busted" but I really can't tell. The slide playing on that one sounds very wholesomely lonely in the way that he does. Very "Sec Walkin"-ish. (Wanda gives Cash a run for his money on that one).
He also might be on "You Know That I'm No Good," the guitar playing is very clean and unlike White.

The problem with picking out Carl is the Third Man house band plays on every track me thinks, and I'm not familiar with those musicians.

Oh and the first 1000 buyers of the LP have a chance to get one of the 100 limited fuchsia colored vinyl pressings   :bath:  it's entirely worth buying if you're into wanda's vocals. 

wolof7

5.2 on pitchfork...looks like they weren't invited to the party  ::)
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

ophidiophobia

I saw a couple of her performances on the late night shows that she has done, and I want to like the album because Jack White tells me to :-\. But it seems like the album may be a grower. She has a show in Oklahoma in the middle of March that I want to try and catch. I'm gonna try and pick up the vinyl this weekend.

johnnYYac

I hesitate to say this, but the performances I've seen have been underwhelming.  Jack White can make anything rock and the band is tight.  Ms. Jackson's performance, however, reminds me of karaoke night at the senior center. 

I'm sure she was something back in the day, touring (etc.) with the King, and I can see some talent there, but not enough to get me excited.  I'm generally more generous with praise and admit I haven't heard the album itself, just the performances on Conan and Letterman, so I'm still open to the idea the album will be better.  Just being honest.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

twofingers

I'm liking the album quite a bit. I think to johnnYs point that her performances have been a little underwhelming. Her live singing sort of reminds of Roger Daltrey's Who performances the last 5 years or so: the band is rocking, the vocals just aren't there. All those years of performing and simple old age seem to have taken some oomph from her voice. Regardless, Jack White does no wrong and I'm digging it, you've got to love when you hear that classic Jack White tone screeching in the background.

EDIT - Does anyone know who the girl guitarist is in the band they've been playing with?

Second EDIT - Just watched the video for "TOTM" - holy shit. Jack White is truly mind blowing.
[url="//www.thesteamengine.net"]www.thesteamengine.net[/url]

EasyRyder

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
I hesitate to say this, but the performances I've seen have been underwhelming.  Jack White can make anything rock and the band is tight.  Ms. Jackson's performance, however, reminds me of karaoke night at the senior center. 

I'm sure she was something back in the day, touring (etc.) with the King, and I can see some talent there, but not enough to get me excited.  I'm generally more generous with praise and admit I haven't heard the album itself, just the performances on Conan and Letterman, so I'm still open to the idea the album will be better.  Just being honest.

I felt the same way about the late night performances, Johnny. Her voice came across as shrill, and White's guitar came across as it always does. But the album really is different. Her voice sounds much more full, especially on the less bulky tracks.

I just read the Pitchfork review, and it seems like the guy who wrote it is either a fan of her later work or has forgotten that she is 73 years old. I will say that sometimes the band is a bit much and the horns seem unnecessary, but I don't think it drowns out Wanda like he said it does.

White did what he needed to do and then some, and managed not to make it a nostalgia trip. I agree with ya, twofingers

el_chode

Would I pay to see it live? No.

But with that said, goddamn this makes me wish it was not 10 degrees in the middle of January with snow falling but 85 degrees in June with the sun out and the windows down
I'm surrounded by assholes

CTdeadhead

TheBigChicken

oh come on man...karaoke at the senior center... :-X
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

johnnYYac

Quote from: TheBigChicken on Jan 29, 2011, 10:02 AM

oh come on man...karaoke at the senior center... :-X
Too mean sprited?  Its not my nature, but I couldn't help it.  I'll have to look for some of her performances in her prime.  And we'd all look amateurish with Jack White shredding behind us.   
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Jaimoe

This is pretty kick ass Wanda from 1958:

Wanda Jackson - Hard Headed Woman