What Vinyl Did You Just Buy?

Started by Ruckus, Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

Just made my first vinyl purchase.  I was hoping for Phosphorescent but he didn't have it.  I had to go with this one for $8.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 02, 2011, 01:29 PM
Just made my first vinyl purchase.  I was hoping for Phosphorescent but he didn't have it.  I had to go with this one for $8.

And now let the addiction flourish
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jon T.

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 02, 2011, 01:55 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 02, 2011, 01:29 PM

And now let the addiction flourish

:thumbsup:

Now for some help.  I took my record player into the shop.  The guy tells me that it's a very nice record player.  It is a Denon DP15-F (whatever that means).  To replace the needle, you have to replace the whole cartridge and I'm all I'm seeing is about $150 for this one piece.  Is that right?  Do I have to replace it with the same DL160 that was on there. Or do they sell universal type cartridges? 

This may be the shortest lived obsession ever!

headhunter

Generally, you need to replace the cartridge - not just the needle.  $150 may be be out of your budget (especially with holidays approaching) but it is probably a very fair price for a decent cartridge.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Jon T.

Quote from: headhunter on Dec 02, 2011, 02:29 PM
Generally, you need to replace the cartridge - not just the needle.  $150 may be be out of your budget (especially with holidays approaching) but it is probably a very fair price for a decent cartridge.

Ooof.

Thanks.

Ruckus

Quote from: Jon T. on Dec 02, 2011, 02:34 PM

Ooof.

Thanks.
Or you can be like me and have an elcheapo setup that costs less than your new cartridge.  Damn sound snobs (they don't deserve to be called audiophiles) ;D
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Hawkeye

Yeah I had an Audio Technica that was working just fine for me...a $75 turntable.  then I get a Rega RP-1 dropped in my lap ($450) and then need to buy a pre-amp ($175).  Not sure how much the replacement parts are on the Rega.  I'm guessing not cheap though!  It sure sounds like I'm complainin' don't it...  :-X
We could.

headhunter

I had a rega 2 for 15 years and it was one of the greatest bargains I ever got. Great sound, dependable and for the $, one of the best tt's on the market.

wolof7

For my bday I treated myself to a trifecta of goodies!!!

Timber Timbre

the Barr Brothers

also dl these 2 which are great!

Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

el_chode

I'm surrounded by assholes

Fully

Chode, when I was in eighth grade I bought that Seger album. I wore that thing out. Who knows what happened to it. Also, My sister spent at least an entire year playing the Rumors album. Plus, my saxophone private lesson teacher went on tour with The Marshall Tucker band for awhile. Your purchases are really taking me back to jr. high.

headhunter

chode - your purchases are part of the soundtrack of my life.  hope they bring you as many good hours of listening as they've brought me.    :thumbsup:

el_chode

Haha thanks guys, I've always suspected that I was someone who died young, then get reincarnated too quickly because much of this was the soundtrack to my high school days too - in the late 90s.

I buy my vinyl based on an intuition that it is an album made for vinyl. So far, I haven't been wrong. But I haven't gotten past 1984 yet (Stop Making Sense).
I'm surrounded by assholes

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Ruckus on Dec 02, 2011, 03:24 PM

Ooof.

Thanks.
Or you can be like me and have an elcheapo setup that costs less than your new cartridge.  Damn sound snobs (they don't deserve to be called audiophiles) ;D

;D Same here... still rocking an Audio Technica AT-PL50. About $80 brand new
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

johnnYYac

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 11, 2011, 10:15 PM

Ooof.

Thanks.

AT-PL60 for $65 $69 at Amazon. :thumbsup: I'm sure the more expensive tts sound great but I can't justify that and all my other music expenses.  Maybe when I win the lottery (if I ever buy a ticket, that is).
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

Quote from: johnnYYac on Dec 11, 2011, 11:06 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Dec 11, 2011, 10:15 PM

Ooof.

Thanks.

AT-PL60 for $65 :thumbsup: I'm sure the more expensive tts sound great but I can't justify that and all my other music expenses.  Maybe when I win the lottery (if I ever buy a ticket, that is).

Nothing wrong with an AT-PL50 (or 60)!
We could.

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

Swedgin

Come Closer