Scientology

Started by bowl of soup, Feb 09, 2011, 04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

There is an excellent article in the New Yorker here:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/14/110214fa_fact_wright

The genesis of much of the above article was started by two really brave reporters from the St. Pete Times who did an exhaustive series of reports that can be found here:

http://www.tampabay.com/specials/2009/reports/project/

This is a sensitive topic to many of us folks who live in the Clearwater area who deal with alot of this nonsense on a very personal level.  These are both super-long reads, but interesting and important.  Check them out when you have a few hours.

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Tracy 2112

jesus harry! that new yorker article is 50 pages long! better be worth the $$ I just spent printing that mother out

holy crap I'm broke
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Penny Lane

I've been obsessed with infiltrating the ranks of Scientology for a long time. I think we had a thread about it a couple years ago. Rolling Stone has done a couple great inside articles:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/inside-scientology-20110208

http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/groups/s/scientology/rolling-stone-inside-scientology/

The original article is worth reading. It's in the archives, you used to be able to read it for free, you can't now.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

lucylew

There's a Scientology center about a mile from my house.  I've been tempted, for shits and giggles, to check it out...

TheBigChicken

Quote from: lucylew on Feb 09, 2011, 10:38 PM
There's a Scientology center about a mile from my house.  I've been tempted, for shits and giggles, to check it out...

Beware the cult :D ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Jon T.

From the New Yorker..

"A major cause of mankind's problems began 75 million years ago," the Times wrote, when the planet Earth, then called Teegeeack, was part of a confederation of ninety planets under the leadership of a despotic ruler named Xenu. "Then, as now, the materials state, the chief problem was overpopulation." Xenu decided "to take radical measures." The documents explained that surplus beings were transported to volcanoes on Earth. "The documents state that H-bombs far more powerful than any in existence today were dropped on these volcanoes, destroying the people but freeing their spirits—called thetans—which attached themselves to one another in clusters." Those spirits were "trapped in a compound of frozen alcohol and glycol," then "implanted" with "the seed of aberrant behavior." The Times account concluded, "When people die, these clusters attach to other humans and keep perpetuating themselves."

Like, duh...   ;D

Crispy

Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
From the New Yorker..

"A major cause of mankind's problems began 75 million years ago," the Times wrote, when the planet Earth, then called Teegeeack, was part of a confederation of ninety planets under the leadership of a despotic ruler named Xenu. "Then, as now, the materials state, the chief problem was overpopulation." Xenu decided "to take radical measures." The documents explained that surplus beings were transported to volcanoes on Earth. "The documents state that H-bombs far more powerful than any in existence today were dropped on these volcanoes, destroying the people but freeing their spirits—called thetans—which attached themselves to one another in clusters." Those spirits were "trapped in a compound of frozen alcohol and glycol," then "implanted" with "the seed of aberrant behavior." The Times account concluded, "When people die, these clusters attach to other humans and keep perpetuating themselves."

Like, duh...   ;D
This is the best part about Scientology -- Hubbard even said at the time that he was writing an outrageous science fiction to see if it could get accepted as a religion. He succeeded beyond expectations, and now, the above is the GIANT SECRET OF THE UNIVERSE that Scientologists have to spend years and hundreds of thousands of dollars to find out.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

Quote from: Crispy on Feb 10, 2011, 11:14 AM
Quote from: Jon T. on Feb 10, 2011, 11:05 AM
From the New Yorker..

Like, duh...   ;D
This is the best part about Scientology -- Hubbard even said at the time that he was writing an outrageous science fiction to see if it could get accepted as a religion. He succeeded beyond expectations, and now, the above is the GIANT SECRET OF THE UNIVERSE that Scientologists have to spend years and hundreds of thousands of dollars to find out.

he targets the rich, how could they not realize this?
and if you don't have money, you donate all your TIME and work for them, eventually by paying with $ or time, you can learn and advance levels...
i rose to a Thetan 4 but then i ran out of money..
good thing i started worshipping the Jacket, i can rise 8 levels and have my face melted, all for the price of a ticket ..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Tracy 2112

A major cause of mankind's problems began 75 million years ago when the planet Earth, then called Okonokos, was part of a confederation of ninety planets under the leadership of a despotic ruler named Gideon. Then, as now, the chief problem was Top 40 Radio.  Gideon decided to take radical measures. Surplus beings were transported to sports arenas on Earth.  F-bombs far more powerful than any in existence today were dropped on these sports arenas, destroying the people but freeing their spirits—called mahgeetas—which attached themselves to one another in Yims. Yims were trapped in a compound of frozen bourbon and brulee, then implanted with the seed of rock n' roll. When people die, these Yims attach to other humans and keep perpetuating themselves into My Morning Jacket albums.

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 10, 2011, 12:37 PM
A major cause of mankind's problems began 75 million years ago when the planet Earth, then called Okonokos, was part of a confederation of ninety planets under the leadership of a despotic ruler named Gideon. Then, as now, the chief problem was Top 40 Radio.  Gideon decided to take radical measures. Surplus beings were transported to sports arenas on Earth.  F-bombs far more powerful than any in existence today were dropped on these sports arenas, destroying the people but freeing their spirits—called mahgeetas—which attached themselves to one another in Yims. Yims were trapped in a compound of frozen bourbon and brulee, then implanted with the seed of rock n' roll. When people die, these Yims attach to other humans and keep perpetuating themselves into My Morning Jacket albums.

Consider me converted. I'm guessing you're about a level 8 Mahgeetan?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

bowl of soup

Don't forget, level 8 requires study at sea.  So don't be frontin' around here unless your ass has been on the Majesty of the Seas with Jim and the boys.  There's no 8's around here.

And isn't dropping people into a volcano and then dropping an atom bomb on top of them a little much?  Talk about beating a dead horse.

And Tracy, printing the Truth Rundown from the St. Pete Times may kill a forest.  They printed it in a gigantic nine part series in the newspaper down here.  It went on for days and each day was like 10 to 11 full pages in the newspaper.  Scientology once brought the IRS to it's knees through litigation - so it took huge balls on the part of the newspaper and the reporters to do this.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

lucylew

I was watching the local news yesterday morning and, lo and behold, a commercial (very well done) for Scientology aired.  Weirdness abounds.