Who is the biggest ASSHOLE in rock??

Started by CTdeadhead, Feb 10, 2011, 05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Fully on May 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
I really wish we had more discussions like this one around here these days, but I'm probably being an asshole when I wish that.

nice bump fully! I forgot about the conversation I had with Sticky just using Big Lebowski youtube quotes.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

LeanneP

Jeff Martin of the Tea Party - total douche canoe.  Alienlanes witnessed him going off on some non-musician in the bathroom at an industry party. The non-musician guy was a very tall, very muscular black man and Martin said, "You better get out of my way, boy." The non-musician guy was then restrained by two other men in the bathroom lest he flatten Jeff "I'm a racist tool" Martin.

Also, at the same party, Burton Cummings of the Guess Who was also a drunken douche railing to whoever would listen about how he was a big important artist and everyone was against him, keeping him down. 

Same party, I touched Dave Grohl's butt. I just sort of brush up against him and brushed my hand against his rear all stealth like. He turned around and smiled. Such a charmer!
Babe, let's get one thing clear, there's much more stardust when you're near.

Fully

Quote from: LeanneP on May 16, 2013, 04:00 PM
Jeff Martin of the Tea Party - total douche canoe.  Alienlanes witnessed him going off on some non-musician in the bathroom at an industry party. The non-musician guy was a very tall, very muscular black man and Martin said, "You better get out of my way, boy." The non-musician guy was then restrained by two other men in the bathroom lest he flatten Jeff "I'm a racist tool" Martin.

Also, at the same party, Burton Cummings of the Guess Who was also a drunken douche railing to whoever would listen about how he was a big important artist and everyone was against him, keeping him down. 

Same party, I touched Dave Grohl's butt. I just sort of brush up against him and brushed my hand against his rear all stealth like. He turned around and smiled. Such a charmer!

Perv :grin:

Jaimoe

Quote from: LeanneP on May 16, 2013, 04:00 PM

I hate The Tea Party and I've known Martin is an a-hole for over 20 years (he used to date my old roommate when I went to Ryerson; he fucking played my guitar when I wasn't home too... and the songs were probably his early Tea Party shit). BTW, nobody in the US knows The Tea Party; I'm extremely jealous.

Shug

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

Shug

he.who.forgets

although it was more of a gimick than genuine assholery, GG Allin has got to be included in this conversation, no?

LBSUNFLWR

all of those Ryan Adams stories are from before he got sober.

And I am such a fan that honestly none of that changes a thing for me. I have had the pleasure of seeing him many times and never once did he disappoint or act like an asshole, a bitch, a spoiled brat, etc,etc.  And I had one of the thrills of my life when I got to meet him in NYC a few years ago and he was as sweet and kind as can be.

People are always and still bashing him and I don't blame him for having to be defensive sometimes. And he used to be very regularly under the influence and with that surely comes some bad behavior.

But the man is as good as it gets when it comes to singing and song writing.

LBSUNFLWR

And I love Chris Robinson but can definitely picture him as kind of a dick, and have heard some things on recordings over the years. It will never change my love for his music though.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on May 20, 2013, 09:41 AM
But the man is as good as it gets when it comes to singing and song writing.

Agreed.

And he's a self indulgent, narcissistic asshole. Not everyone can be James Taylor.
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

zanjam

Quote from: Fully on May 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
I really wish we had more discussions like this one around here these days, but I'm probably being an asshole when I wish that.
You are an asshole.  But nice bump. I haven't read through all of it but imma gonna go with Ted nugent. Funny my auto correct changed it to Ted migrant.  I'm guessing he wouldn't love that.
anything + reverb always = better

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Shug on May 17, 2013, 12:28 PM
Johnny Rotten

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2013/apr/11/john-lydon-australian-tv-video

I'm not trying to defend Johnny Rotten or anything, as I'm all about equal rights for women and am pretty liberal in general. But he acts like this in EVERY interview, been doing this for years. So ask yourself why does the media continue to interview him? They know what they're gonna get with him, at least he's consistent.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Shug

Quote from: ManNamedTruth on May 25, 2013, 04:21 PM
Quote from: Shug on May 17, 2013, 12:28 PM
Johnny Rotten

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/video/2013/apr/11/john-lydon-australian-tv-video

I'm not trying to defend Johnny Rotten or anything, as I'm all about equal rights for women and am pretty liberal in general. But he acts like this in EVERY interview, been doing this for years. So ask yourself why does the media continue to interview him? They know what they're gonna get with him, at least he's consistent.

Behaving like that once makes you an asshole, doing it more than once makes you an even bigger asshole, doing it in every interview might just make you the biggest asshole in rock (or its just an attention-seeking act).  I didn't know he did that all the time, I've never read or heard an interview with him before this one, but I've never had any interest in punk rock at all, not even for its socio-political historical-ness or whatever.  I'm basically a peace-loving hippie, though.

Jaimoe

Folks shouldn't take Johnny Lydon seriously. He does almost every interview with faux contempt and a twinkle in his beady little eye. He's pretends to hate everything and other styles of music, but he's actually friends with members of some bands he trashes. He's a creation, a caricature. I don't get too worked up about him since this isn't 1977. When it comes down to it, many musicians, especially guitarists and front men, are fucking egomanical assholes. Same with actors, although they tend to be more vapid talking heads.

ericm

Anyone who has a wife, and kids, and says his biggest fear in life is losing his hair, is an asshole.   This among a few other gems means  Jon Bon Jovi wins biggest asshole in rock hands down for me.

I once stood next to him at a killer Bruce show, and he just stood there with his arms folded, and a scowl  on his face for  about  an hour straight with this look of waiting to be impressed. Such an asshole!
"Where's Jim going?"

Walkingdude1

It might be a little wrong saying this here but conor oberst can be an asshole. I met him once and complimented him on the show but he just looked at me and didn't say a word. The only way I can describe it is like a "too cool" "snobby rich kid" type of vibe. I'm sure he's a good guy but that interaction really hurt since I'm a huge fan. Jim James on the other hand is one the best meetings ever . Such a nice a guy and happyto talk and take  pics. John Darnell's of the mountain goats is kind of a jerk also. I met him and held my hand out for a handshake and he gave me his left hand. Which is a little dis. Then kinda embarassed me a bit. Oh well.

walterfredo

I don't care for Conor whatsoever. He definitely comes across as a total ass. Surprised there has been no discussion of this in all the OBH threads, but I thought Conor was a total prick for coming on stage obviously anebriated, dancing around almost knocking shit over. Dude...nobody came to see you! Then when he comes back out for the encore he spills half a beer on himself and the stage. Attention whore much?  I know people will defend him but I found him to be beyond disrespectful to MMJ and their fans at OBH.

Jaimoe

This topic is pretty old, but I think Chad Kroeger is still reigning champ. Scott Stapp has made inroads to dethrone Kroeger, but not enough from where I'm sitting. Kanye isn't a rocker, or he'd be the new champion.

CTdeadhead

Not old, as my thoughts have evolved since this thread started, I now think its Sharon Osbourne, she recorded over Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake years ago, screwed Jake E Lee, and coordinated a juvenile shut off of Iron Maiden's power during the Ozzfest then Kelly and Ozzy's crew threw eggs at Maiden.  Shes an asshole, now every day on TV. Maybe this should be in the Heavy Metal thread.  :drum:

EverythingChanges

Quote from: ericm on May 28, 2013, 07:25 AM
Anyone who has a wife, and kids, and says his biggest fear in life is losing his hair, is an asshole.   This among a few other gems means  Jon Bon Jovi wins biggest asshole in rock hands down for me.

I once stood next to him at a killer Bruce show, and he just stood there with his arms folded, and a scowl  on his face for  about  an hour straight with this look of waiting to be impressed. Such an asshole!

Bruce >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi sucks.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck