Article on the hiatus

Started by mahgeetah, Jun 24, 2009, 01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahgeetah

Sorry if this has already circulated here. No big surprises or new info really, but interesting.

http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/22/my-morning-jacket-on-hiatus/

goodjam2bn

A hiatus can be a good thing for the band although perhaps not preceived that way by the fans. Quite often the experiences outside of the band will lead to influences picked up by osmosis that will enlighten the bands work later on. Besides I'm not going to tire of there current music any time soon. The Monsters of Folk may satisfy your Yim Yames cravings if you can make it to September.  ;)
Ride the music wave and wipe out really good!

ManNamedTruth

QuoteSorry if this has already circulated here. No big surprises or new info really, but interesting.

http://www.spinner.com/2009/06/22/my-morning-jacket-on-hiatus/

I hate the word hiatus. Look at Phish, 3 years here, 5 years there. I doubt that will be the case with MMJ but still. I've only seen them twice and i'm dying for a show already. The hiatus could be a good thing. EU seemed forced, they probably felt pressure just to put something out. I hope when they come back they put out their best album.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

GetDoWnOnIT

This hiatus will allow for everyone in the band to grow as musicians.  All of the guys are doing some different stuff and it will only add to the greatness that is My Morning Jacket.  I think these little breaks are needed sometimes.  Lets everyone take a step back and look at the big picture.  They will be back in full force in 2010!  I for one can't wait to hear the stuff Yim Yames is working on right now.  
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make

capt. scotty

I hate the word hiatus. Look at Phish, 3 years here, 5 years there. I doubt that will be the case with MMJ but still. I've only seen them twice and i'm dying for a show already. The hiatus could be a good thing. EU seemed forced, they probably felt pressure just to put something out. I hope when they come back they put out their best album.

I agree. I wouldnt call this hiatus, Its more like taking a break and not touring this year while band members work on other projects. I view hiatus as a longer period of time than what MMJ is going through right now, as well as meaning it is uncertain if the band will be back together.

I'd call this a sabbatical.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

CTdeadhead

Not too worried, they have worked non stop for sooo long.  They should take a break, recharge and reboot.  U2 was 5 yrs between cds.  Metallica 5 yrs too.  For them to take a year or two off is not necessarily a bad thing, but they gotta start selling some bootlegs or something!!  More live albums, a DVD something till the next cd.  at least thats what I hope.  

el_chode

I think the difference is when there is a preceding announcement of the hiatus and it's sort of like "it's not you, its me" denial of reality; and when it's like that other point in a relationship when toothbrushes start appearing in your bathroom that aren't yours, you start falling asleep on the couch together,  and its weird eating dinner alone that you decide you gotta call it something, so you might as well call it that.

Both Gary Larson AND Bill Watterson went on hiatus a few times and came back better than ever
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jbones72

I don't like the word "hiatus" either but these guys do deserve a break! I don't think this is a case of the band being at each others throats like the Black Crowes were before they took their 5 year "hiatus"!

I'm going to think of it as normal time between albums.

weeniebeenie

A break is good. They get a rest and I get to save up my money again.
How loud can silence get?

CTdeadhead

QuoteI think the difference is when there is a preceding announcement of the hiatus and it's sort of like "it's not you, its me" denial of reality; and when it's like that other point in a relationship when toothbrushes start appearing in your bathroom that aren't yours, you start falling asleep on the couch together,  and its weird eating dinner alone that you decide you gotta call it something, so you might as well call it that.

Both Gary Larson AND Bill Watterson went on hiatus a few times and came back better than ever

very interesting analogy.  i like you.

sweatboard

This "hiatus" if you will is so well deserved.  I know some people are really freaking out, but surprisingly enough I'm not at all.  I'm head over heels about this band but it just seems natural to me that they are taking a break right now.  I actually think they probably should have taken more of a break after Z, maybe they are just realizing this now.  Evil Urges was Evil Urges and I wouldn't trade it but it was a bit Amnesiac.  AKA it sounded a bit like they just did Z part II to me.  I'm hoping they are going to take a breath and reinvent the wheel once again.  Different production, new approach, new attitude, with a touch of the old charisma.   I mean as good as Radiohead is they stalled out a bit after Kid A.  In Rainbows is a GREAT album though. Here's to MMJ recording their In Rainbows on this next one.........only better  :)
There's Still Time.........

el_chode

QuoteI think the difference is when there is a preceding announcement of the hiatus and it's sort of like "it's not you, its me" denial of reality; and when it's like that other point in a relationship when toothbrushes start appearing in your bathroom that aren't yours, you start falling asleep on the couch together,  and its weird eating dinner alone that you decide you gotta call it something, so you might as well call it that.

very interesting analogy.  i like you.

Thanks!

One of the only relevant pieces of advice I got after graduating with my worthless degree is "you will make great analogies, and for some reason this will always either amuse or annoy people"
I'm surrounded by assholes

kydiddle

Hiatus is a terrible word.

Let's do something fun and guess where their first show will be after this uhm...uhh..."break for sake of creativity".

Something small? A big venue? Louisville? My backyard? Yeah...  8-)
Cow temperature.