Open Request:  Please MMJ

Started by porchdweller, Jul 31, 2009, 09:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

porchdweller

Open Request:  Please MMJ take a different career path than Kings Of Leon.  No MTV or Today Show Please.  Do something crazy in NY like Rage Against the Machine or something, not the fn Today Show.
It's just the way that he sings

Love Dogg

I see your point.  However, if bands like KOL don't do stuff like they've done, then Top 40 Radio remains stuck in the world of really bad pop, really bad hip-hop, and really bad voice-box-whatever-the-fu*k-they're-called.  And as long as those people continue to rule mainstream radio, then that culture will continue to rule our universe.  And I'm not a big fan of how selfish, inconsiderate, rude, slutty, dishonest, LOGUS* driven, and crusty our world has become.

Just think about how fucking cool everybody would be if they turned on the radio and heard MMJ, followd by DBT, followed by The Roots and The Deep Vibration.  I just think we would be able to learn how to heal a broken heart a little easier if that were the case, and not be so educated as to what the best method to treat a bitch like a ho is.  And maybe the younger gals might find a way to look inside themselves and understand how magical they are, rather than feel the need to be a full on grown woman going through an identity crisis.  Kids need to be kids and adults need to be adults.  People need to be good to each other and be respectful of their neighbors.  Have some class.  Have some real heroes.

So if MMJ makes a "bad career move" and it winds up making pop radio better, and in turn making everybody a little cooler, then I say it's good.

But I don't think we have to worry about that for a little while at least.

*[size=9]Lack Of Give A Shit[/size]
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

el_chode

QuoteI see your point.  However, if bands like KOL don't do stuff like they've done, then Top 40 Radio remains stuck in the world of really bad pop, really bad hip-hop, and really bad voice-box-whatever-the-fu*k-they're-called.  And as long as those people continue to rule mainstream radio, then that culture will continue to rule our universe.  And I'm not a big fan of how selfish, inconsiderate, rude, slutty, dishonest, LOGUS* driven, and crusty our world has become.

Just think about how fucking cool everybody would be if they turned on the radio and heard MMJ, followd by DBT, followed by The Roots and The Deep Vibration.  I just think we would be able to learn how to heal a broken heart a little easier if that were the case, and not be so educated as to what the best method to treat a bitch like a ho is.  And maybe the younger gals might find a way to look inside themselves and understand how magical they are, rather than feel the need to be a full on grown woman going through an identity crisis.  Kids need to be kids and adults need to be adults.  People need to be good to each other and be respectful of their neighbors.  Have some class.  Have some real heroes.

So if MMJ makes a "bad career move" and it winds up making pop radio better, and in turn making everybody a little cooler, then I say it's good.

Eh, I don't know. You're half right, but KOL have really lost that fight. I'd agree with you if the caliber of music stayed the same, but I miss the KOL that sang songs about prostitutes, one night stands, and having fun. Long hair, fuzzy guitars, and shirts that had buttons that went past the nipple. It just seems to me like they've gone the way of the Chili Peppers and succumbed to the idea of making generic anthem rock that is Kid-tested, mom-approved. Which is fine, but I find the new KOL songs to be short lived in my taste and now I can't stand them, where as Aha Shake Heartbreak hasn't left my rotation since it came out and I consider it one of the top albums of the decade.

I think MMJ's roots hopefully keep them immune to this danger. The subject matter of MMJ's songs are of a different vein than KOL ever were. A bit more earthy and ephemeral than hedonistic and emotional (as in whiny-emotional) - if MMJ ever lost it I'd say they'd cease to be MMJ.

I know its bad to make comparisons, but it's why I think MMJ is more in line with Radiohead than KOL. No matter how big and exposed Radiohead became, they never lost their essence. I think the band themselves (MMJ) are a bit too "plugged in" to ever lose that.
I'm surrounded by assholes

kydiddle

QuoteI see your point.  However, if bands like KOL don't do stuff like they've done, then Top 40 Radio remains stuck in the world of really bad pop, really bad hip-hop, and really bad voice-box-whatever-the-fu*k-they're-called.  And as long as those people continue to rule mainstream radio, then that culture will continue to rule our universe.  And I'm not a big fan of how selfish, inconsiderate, rude, slutty, dishonest, LOGUS* driven, and crusty our world has become.

Eh, I don't know. You're half right, but KOL have really lost that fight. I'd agree with you if the caliber of music stayed the same, but I miss the KOL that sang songs about prostitutes, one night stands, and having fun. Long hair, fuzzy guitars, and shirts that had buttons that went past the nipple. It just seems to me like they've gone the way of the Chili Peppers and succumbed to the idea of making generic anthem rock that is Kid-tested, mom-approved. Which is fine, but I find the new KOL songs to be short lived in my taste and now I can't stand them, where as Aha Shake Heartbreak hasn't left my rotation since it came out and I consider it one of the top albums of the decade.

I think MMJ's roots hopefully keep them immune to this danger. The subject matter of MMJ's songs are of a different vein than KOL ever were. A bit more earthy and ephemeral than hedonistic and emotional (as in whiny-emotional) - if MMJ ever lost it I'd say they'd cease to be MMJ.

I know its bad to make comparisons, but it's why I think MMJ is more in line with Radiohead than KOL. No matter how big and exposed Radiohead became, they never lost their essence. I think the band themselves (MMJ) are a bit too "plugged in" to ever lose that.

I would really, really support the Radiohead comparison if this blurb didn't exist.

Granted, Thom Yorke solo is not the same as Radiohead as a whole, but still it rips me apart. New Moon...seriously?

A lot of bands have their commercial weaknesses. If the music stays strong I can allow certain things to slide.

http://www.greenplastic.com/2009/07/24/thom-yorke-to-contribute-new-track-to-twilight-sequel/
Cow temperature.

My Monkey Friend

waking up the other morning and seeing KOL on the today show was a little disappointing. MMJ is light years better, but they both kind of started to rise at the same time, so I have tracked them both. its hard to judge this, because at some point, they have to do some of those mainstream type events (aspen edge commercial, EU commercial, He's just not that into you soundtrack). as long as the music doesnt suffer, i guess what's the harm?

el_chode

Quotewaking up the other morning and seeing KOL on the today show was a little disappointing. MMJ is light years better, but they both kind of started to rise at the same time, so I have tracked them both. its hard to judge this, because at some point, they have to do some of those mainstream type events (aspen edge commercial, EU commercial, He's just not that into you soundtrack). as long as the music doesnt suffer, i guess what's the harm?

I think they both started off in this sort of dirty roots-rock style grab a beer and a girl and have a good time vibe. Then KOL put out that album about getting pregnant and serious, and they became your friend who you used to get drunk with all the time and had a blast, but now he gets all serious after a few too many and laments how he's getting older and is a total buzz kill, while MMJ will grab a beer with you and speculate on the implications of quantum super positions and whether or not interplanetary travel will be possible within your life time.

MMJ is also that friend that orders the rounds of whiskey with each beer when you're already three sheets because they're convinced that since whiskey is just concentrated beer, it can only produce more fun. While KOL turns down the shot because they don't want the headache the next morning because they have to go the job they hate.
I'm surrounded by assholes

Soulshine

Quotewaking up the other morning and seeing KOL on the today show was a little disappointing. MMJ is light years better, but they both kind of started to rise at the same time, so I have tracked them both. its hard to judge this, because at some point, they have to do some of those mainstream type events (aspen edge commercial, EU commercial, He's just not that into you soundtrack). as long as the music doesnt suffer, i guess what's the harm?

I think they both started off in this sort of dirty roots-rock style grab a beer and a girl and have a good time vibe. Then KOL put out that album about getting pregnant and serious, and they became your friend who you used to get drunk with all the time and had a blast, but now he gets all serious after a few too many and laments how he's getting older and is a total buzz kill, while MMJ will grab a beer with you and speculate on the implications of quantum super positions and whether or not interplanetary travel will be possible within your life time.

MMJ is also that friend that orders the rounds of whiskey with each beer when you're already three sheets because they're convinced that since whiskey is just concentrated beer, it can only produce more fun. While KOL turns down the shot because they don't want the headache the next morning because they have to go the job they hate.

;D Love this!
Because we're all in this together...