Neil Young Announces Spring Solo Tour

Started by ChiefOKONO, Mar 08, 2011, 04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rincon

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Mar 08, 2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-announces-spring-solo-tour-20110307
Funny! A year ago I would have been fairly excited about this, as I have been a Neil Young fan for about 40 years, since childhood. I always thought he was the reigning king of rock and roll. I have to say, his followers , in my opinion, have surpassed him musically. The 2 bands I discovered, and I think have more to offer, are of course MMJ and  DBT.

e_wind

Quote from: rincon on Mar 08, 2011, 07:59 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-announces-spring-solo-tour-20110307
Funny! A year ago I would have been fairly excited about this, as I have been a Neil Young fan for about 40 years, since childhood. I always thought he was the reigning king of rock and roll. I have to say, his followers , in my opinion, have surpassed him musically. The 2 bands I discovered, and I think have more to offer, are of course MMJ and  DBT.

Dont mean to thread jack, but I've listened to at least half of Drive By Truckers extensive discog and have yet to find the thing that hooks me with these guys. Its weird, based on a lot of my musical taste, youd think I loved these guys. Also I did some street team work for ATO and got free tickets to a DBT show last time they were in louisville and didn't go because I had an exam the next day. I regret it now because I hear they put on a hell of a show.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

woodnymph

Quote from: e_wind on Mar 08, 2011, 11:13 PM

Dont mean to thread jack, but I've listened to at least half of Drive By Truckers extensive discog and have yet to find the thing that hooks me with these guys. Its weird, based on a lot of my musical taste, youd think I loved these guys. Also I did some street team work for ATO and got free tickets to a DBT show last time they were in louisville and didn't go because I had an exam the next day. I regret it now because I hear they put on a hell of a show.

Hey wind, I just have to throw out there, cause I've noticed a couple other bits you've written about the DBT... I think from what I've gathered of some past posts, that you and I have fairly similar music tastes and the like... and I'm in the same rut that you are with the DBT.... keep tossin' out lines, can't seem to hook anything.... with all the jive talk I hear about 'em on here, I know there's gotta be somethin' goin' down with these guys........ ho-hummmmm  ???

Let me just bring it back home real quick to the Neil thread... I totally hope I can catch him in Durham!!!  :D
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

ralph

I'd give my left testicle to catch one of these Twisted Road shows. It's a pity then that I already gave it away to see T5.... ;)
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

Penny Lane

you've gotta love storytelling, or it won't hook you (IMO)...If you listen to Southern Rock Opera, The Dirty South, or Decoration Day and it doesn't hit you, it probably won't. Patterson's songs are sentimental stories about real people and real history and the 'duality of the southern thang' and cooley's songs are full of wisdom and characters and grit..(in contrast to MMJ-where i really don't listen for the lyrics, i listen for the music-the complete song as a piece of art--i don't take away any words to live by --i just get an earth shattering listening/viewing experience every time) when i listen to DBT, i get taught things and i relate to the pain in the songs and the poverty/loneliness/drunkenness (fill in the blank)..completely different experience but Hood/Cooley (and Isbell) together were/are an unstoppable force...i think their music has actually made me a better person in a way...sounds really retarded to say...

back to Neil!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Hawkeye

Neil is on my bucket list...need to see him this tour...there might not be many more?  Who knows.  He doesn't seem to be slowing down too much...always wanted to catch him at the Ryman...which is also on my bucket list.
We could.

mike

Jon T.

Quote from: mike on Mar 09, 2011, 02:54 PM
The Neil presale link for those so inclined.

http://tix.concertmaps.com/neilyoung/

For anyone who is considering going, don't miss the presale.  Neil's presale tickets are the very best available.  None of this cockameemy, scattered around Ticketmaster bullshit.

johnnYYac

This is as good a place as any to bitch. 

I'm loving all the rich and varied music that comes the the Other Music part of this forum.  I've expanded my once-quite-narrow collection of music, stuck in the 60s and 70s. 

But I am missing a ton of live shows that fall on weeknights and are 2-3 hours away.  I love NH but would love to be in or near Boston or Portland. 

Neil's got 2 shows in Boston, but they're mid-week, and I can't afford to miss more days at work(I already took personal days in August, October, and will in June, all for MMJ shows).  Bright Eyes, Iron and Wine, Crosby and Nash, and John Prine are playin' the State Theater, again mid-week. 

Occasionally, something cool comes to NH, like The Dead, Hot Tuna, Arlo, Dylan, etc.  (see, here I am again, in the 60s and 70s).

Sorry, just bummed.  I see this thread, check out dates, and just can't swing it. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

Don't feel bad, Johnny, I can't either.  At least not for any of these Neil shows.  Hopefully he adds more.  I've got Columbus, Pittsburgh, Cleveland within 3 hours, but that still makes it tough-to-impossible to hit a weeknight show.  There are some decent smaller bands that come through Athens, OH, which is only an hour away.  Thank God for Athens.  Marietta has a few decent venues, and some of the bands that play Athens are starting to play them, but to see a band with any level of notoriety, you gotta hit up Columbus, Pittsburgh, or Cleveland.  On the weekends, for a good enough band, I can make it to Louisville, Cincinnati, or even DC or Baltimore (all 5-6 hours)...but that would have to be a 2-3 times a year thing due to hotel costs.  Maybe I need to start couchsurfing...hmm.
We could.

bold992006

I think a lot of people have this experience with DBT.  Some people love them and some don't really understand what the draw is.  I'm kind of down on them lately I have to admit.  Their last two albums did not do much for me and i've probably seen them too many times because their shows don't really have the impact they used to on me.  I saw them with Isbell and that is still probably my favorite show.  I think there is something missing/lacking with this lineup with Shona singing..also Cooley is easily my favorite songwriter in the band and the last two album he really didn't write a lot of songs.