Guy Burwell sent me something cool... but what exactly is it???

Started by bradkyker, Mar 16, 2011, 05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradkyker

So guys I need some help...

I have several of Guy Burwell's posters.  Really dig his art.  I was at Bonnaroo a couple years back and talking to him at his display table.  I'd seen the magenta version of the MMJ NYC 2008 New Year's Eve show online (which was #'d to 115); however, they were not available at the show itself (only the blue copies #'d to 350 were).  He was gracious enough to sell a copy of the magenta poster, that he still had at home, for a rather reasonable price.

Well a couple weeks passed and I received an e-mail from him that said he quoted me incorrectly on the price of the poster.  It really wasn't that great of a difference and I, of course, said no worries.  I was happy just to be able to purchase this version in the first place.  He said that since I was understanding, he would send me something a little extra with it.

That brings me to what this post is about....

In the poster tube was the magenta NYC show poster and a copy of the blue NYC poster as well.  However, the blue version was not on typical poster stock paper.  The paper was much more thin than any other poster paper than I have ever seen before.  It's almost like a vellum.  He also signed this copy as well, but it has no # on it.  I have it framed on my wall and can post a picture of it.  I would just like some help to identify what exactly I have here.  I am very grateful for his generosity and, like I said before, really like his work.  I'm just not sure what this piece of work is.

Thanks for your help!

subinai

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home

mahg33ta

Those are test prints, made while the artist is getting the screen ready to produce the run.   They are on thinner tissue paper which is cheaper than the heavy stock.   Most of them go into the trash but typically the last couple ones that are working well get saved.    They can be signed or unsigned but never numbered.   

As far as value, it's hard to say... they are for sure cool and often there are little flaws that make them unique.

I've had a few dealings with Guy and he's definitely one of the nicest, most generous guys out there.

subinai

Quote from: mahg33ta on Mar 16, 2011, 10:14 AM
I've had a few dealings with Guy and he's definitely one of the nicest, most generous guys out there.

2nd this. legit dude.

bradkyker

There it is!  It's really hard to tell the difference with this pic, but the color of the paper is a little more brown & if you look around the edges you can kind of see the humps in the paper.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Sweet Nothing

That is exactly what the print/poster you have received, it is the newsprint edition.  I believe Guy may have sent me the same one as well when i purchased a poster from him.  Very cool cause my brother was at this show and has the original poster of this framed at his house.  Very neat and very nice of Guy, he is a very respectful and giving person.  Enjoy it as i don't believe there are too many of them around.