Open Letter to MMJ (Concert Setlist Reform)

Started by el_chode, Sep 02, 2009, 06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

Dear Jim and company,

There are relatively few resources these days for getting one's hands on new, good music. It's even harder to be exposed to the songs of yesterday that have fallen out of favor with top-40 format of "oldies" radio.  A few magazines are insightful, as are some indie radio stations, but my friends are just as limited as these resources are. The most unexpected exposure for new music for me has become My Morning Jacket concerts, whether I'm in the audience or streaming them off archive. Without your opener on New Years Eve, I would never have investigated Curtis Mayfield beyond Superfly and Freddie's Dead. If it weren't for your cover of Hit it and Quit It, I would have probably forgotten that I even owned a copy of Maggot Brain. You even make lite fm old sad bastard music tolerable, so much so that I have to reconcile myself with the fact that I like a song by Bread. WTF!? And Wax Fang? Holy shitcakes!

How about an occasional update us on what you guys are listening to on the bus, when you're sleeping, or just hanging out during your downtime? I need to know what to anticipate on the next tour so I can sound hip and pretend to recognize every song you throw at us, even if its the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Yours truly,

El Choderino, or Choder, if you're not into that whole brevity thing.

P.S. No matter what anyone thinks about doing covers during a concert, please keep it up. I look forward to it everytime I pay LiveNation a $50 convenience charge on top of the $75 online ticket purchase fee
I'm surrounded by assholes

Nikkogino

QuoteDear Jim and company,

There are relatively few resources these days for getting one's hands on new, good music. It's even harder to be exposed to the songs of yesterday that have fallen out of favor with top-40 format of "oldies" radio.  A few magazines are insightful, as are some indie radio stations, but my friends are just as limited as these resources are. The most unexpected exposure for new music for me has become My Morning Jacket concerts, whether I'm in the audience or streaming them off archive. Without your opener on New Years Eve, I would never have investigated Curtis Mayfield beyond Superfly and Freddie's Dead. If it weren't for your cover of Hit it and Quit It, I would have probably forgotten that I even owned a copy of Maggot Brain. You even make lite fm old sad bastard music tolerable, so much so that I have to reconcile myself with the fact that I like a song by Bread. WTF!? And Wax Fang? Holy shitcakes!

How about an occasional update us on what you guys are listening to on the bus, when you're sleeping, or just hanging out during your downtime? I need to know what to anticipate on the next tour so I can sound hip and pretend to recognize every song you throw at us, even if its the Flying Burrito Brothers.

Yours truly,

El Choderino, or Choder, if you're not into that whole brevity thing.

P.S. No matter what anyone thinks about doing covers during a concert, please keep it up. I look forward to it everytime I pay LiveNation a $50 convenience charge on top of the $75 online ticket purchase fee

I support this message.  I love the diversity in an MMJ setlist from tour to tour.  It's why no one in their right might would skip a show if it passed within a day's drive.

And yes, MMJ is one of the few bands that I do enjoy covers out of....because they don't just try to imitate the song, they try to dominate the song.  And they dominate it hard.

Oh, and you forgot the $15 service charge to have them do you the favor of selling you the ticket....you're lucky they are there for you.  You really are.

P.S.---who is in your avatar?

el_chode

I have no idea, I just saw it one day, and since the majority of my posts on message boards are either complaints or complaining about someone complaining, I thought it was appropriate.

And yes, they absolutely own their covers. I'll never forget at Bonnaroo '06 when I realized that Older Guys became Head Held High

Not every show has a cover, and that's fine. But I love the excitement of wondering "what are they gonna play tonite" both for MMJ songs and any possible covers.

Love Dogg

QuoteBut I love the excitement of wondering "what are they gonna play tonite" both for MMJ songs and any possible covers.

That's what it's all about!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Nikkogino

I was saying a few months ago that if MMJ wasn't so good at writing and performing their own shit, they would be the world's best cover band.  

Sparkle

QuoteP.S.---who is in your avatar?

I always thought it was Kerry Katona... I could be wrong.

AMightyCaporal

Sexy thread El Chodino  ;D

I whole heartedly agree with what has been said here.
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

el_chode

I'm not saying the band needs to be "bloggers" but I would be curious to see what each member is spinning while they're sipping beers on their porch and whatnot. I mean even Jay-Z is raving about Grizzly Bear

Penny Lane

QuoteP.S.---who is in your avatar?

I always thought it was Kerry Katona... I could be wrong.

i thought it was tara reid
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

weeniebeenie

I'd love to hear MMJ play a Raspberries (for the harmonies) or a Tom Petty song.
How loud can silence get?

st. john

capt. scotty

After checking out BH's song chart again, I propose they reform the setlist by playing Into The Woods more than 15 times, Where To Begin more than 10 times, Rollin Back more than 6 times, and start playing Devil's Peanut Butter live.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

QuoteAfter checking out BH's song chart again, I propose they reform the setlist by playing Into The Woods more than 15 times, Where To Begin more than 10 times, Rollin Back more than 6 times, and start playing Devil's Peanut Butter live.

Ok, well I can see Where to Begin getting more plays now that it's sort of been re-released.

Into the woods is about Death Panels for Children, so I doubt it.

Soulshine

Honest Man....but not a lot. It should def be a rarity-its just so fucking bad it needs to be played.
Because we're all in this together...

Love Dogg

QuoteHonest Man....but not a lot. It should def be a rarity-its just so fucking bad it needs to be played.

Bad, as in good, right!?   ;)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Soulshine

QuoteHonest Man....but not a lot. It should def be a rarity-its just so fucking bad it needs to be played.

Bad, as in good, right!?   ;)

Yes of course...bad as in effing awesome!  8-)
Because we're all in this together...

pawpaw

I've always thought that they could NAIL some Faces tunes. That'd be sweet if they booked a tour under an alias band name and did full sets of covers at dives across the country. That's my dream...one of 'em anyway.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

QuoteI've always thought that they could NAIL some Faces tunes. That'd be sweet if they booked a tour under an alias band name and did full sets of covers at dives across the country. That's my dream...one of 'em anyway.

;D  (One of them anyway.)

The Faces rule.  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

el_chode

Wow. My dreams were more simple: steal a pie from a windowsill and go through the Double Dare final challenge face first, mouth open

AMightyCaporal

QuoteI've always thought that they could NAIL some Faces tunes. That'd be sweet if they booked a tour under an alias band name and did full sets of covers at dives across the country. That's my dream...one of 'em anyway.

;D  (One of them anyway.)

The Faces rule.  

i also enjoy the  Faces.  My fiancee loves singing Ohh La La  :-*
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side