Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo

Started by Murph, Mar 24, 2011, 10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

3 months into the year and I would definitely say that this is my favorite album thus far.  I've listened to it plenty of times this week and I think at some point or another all 10 songs on the album have been my favorite.  This guy really has an interesting take on songwriting and his guitar skills are amazing.  Here's my favorite as of today:

Kurt Vile - Society Is My Friend

wolof7

I agree, this is definitely a favorite of mine so far this year. What really resonated is his unique songwriting style. You can hear a bit of everything but i would be remiss to say he's the lovechild of any particular songwriter/sound. This album really has something special going for it. It seems deeply personal.

His SXSW set is up on npr and I found it really impressive w a great cover of Springsteen's Downtown Train!:

http://www.npr.org/2011/03/22/134531925/sxsw-2011-kurt-vile-live-in-concert
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

bold992006

Going to see him tomorrow open up for J Mascis...he also guests on J's album which is one of my favorite of the year so far as well..both great albums.

Penny Lane

i just got this album last night and love it...i'd never heard of him before..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Hawkeye

We could.

ALady

I wasn't super thrilled with his set last week, but I think I'm also going to catch that tour with J Mascis, so we'll see.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Murph

Quote from: Penny Lane on Mar 25, 2011, 12:18 PM
i just got this album last night and love it...i'd never heard of him before..

Let me ask Penny, what made you get this album if you had never heard of him?  This is my personal favorite album of his, but i would also recomend Childish Prodigy

October

saw kurt open for j last night in williamsburg.  was waiting for my friend in front of the venue and kurt came out to smoke a cigarette.  nice dude.  unfortunately a bunch of his pedals and delay loops and gear very important to his guitar playing got stolen down at SXSW.  as he mentioned during the show, there were a few songs he couldn't play because of the theft.  either way, i've seen kurt a few times and he's great, but i was really there to see j mascis, who was unreal good as always