Main Menu

Deadthread

Started by johnnYYac, Mar 29, 2011, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasyRyder

I'm a big advocate of november-december 1973 as well. As said earlier, you can't go wrong, but some shows are easier to ease into than others. It definitely takes a certain ear to appreciate some of the AUD's, but they're very rewarding.

This site will help you IMMENSELY: http://www.deadlistening.com/
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

woodnymph

Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Quote from: ericm on Apr 18, 2011, 07:49 PM
Quote from: e_wind on Apr 18, 2011, 06:47 PM
yo deadheads in this deadthread. I was just browsing the archive.org and noticed the dead are on there. is there any particular time period when they were at their peak or anything? I'm going to try to download a show or 2 that are different, but know nothing about the dead outside of a handfull of songs.

That's the equivalent of a kid in a candy store to me. ;) There's just so much out there,it's hard to pick one era over another. Depends on the mood I'm in. They were all great in their own right,imo.

Most of the time when I'm on archive I tend to listen to shows I went to. Love the flashbacks, I guess. :)

I would suggest trying a sample from different eras. Can't go wrong with almost anything from a MSG run. They always seemed to be really on top of their game at the Garden. NYE shows were always a blast and a fun listen too.

They've got some sweet sweet show(s) from the late 60s with some killer Viola Lee Blues..... the quality for sure takes a minute to adjust the ears to, but once that's taken care of, holy mackerel....

Miss the days when archive was organic & free-range  8)  But still glad for what they offer!!  It's definitely mood dependent for me too, and sometimes song-dependent if I'm onto a certain song and I'll play 3 different versions of it in a row sometimes hahah

Wish I could say I've been to any of the shows that are posted, but at least they've been captured and my spirit can vicariously time-travel
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

johnnYYac

Quote from: EasyRyder on Apr 18, 2011, 08:37 PM
I'm a big advocate of november-december 1973 as well. As said earlier, you can't go wrong, but some shows are easier to ease into than others. It definitely takes a certain ear to appreciate some of the AUD's, but they're very rewarding.

This site will help you IMMENSELY: http://www.deadlistening.com/
Wow, great site!  Thanks, EZ.

I love this.  More speakers, please!

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

EasyRyder

the WALL  :o what a freakin' masterpiece....I often think about which concerts I would attend if I could travel back in time, and right around Mozart I rank the GD + wall of sound 73-74 era....whew.

And I hope you enjoy that site, Johnny! The guy who runs it has a real passion for AUD's, and he's led me to so many great shows on archive. Makes me wish MMJ had a devout taping community!

TEO

Quote from: woodnymph on Apr 18, 2011, 10:45 PM
Quote from: dead on Apr 18, 2011, 07:55 PM
May of '77...
kaPOW

5-19-'77, Fox Theater, Atlanta GA. Dancin' in the Streets. Jerry just kills it from about 3:40-12:05. I want this played at my wake...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

EasyRyder

Anyone going to the Grateful Dead Movie Event tonight??!!

http://www.dead.net/features/news/grateful-dead-movie-event-sell-out-soon

It's playing in a ton of cities!! I'll be going to the showing in Birmingham if anyone's in the area.

ericm

yo deadheads in this deadthread. I was just browsing the archive.org and noticed the dead are on there. is there any particular time period when they were at their peak or anything? I'm going to try to download a show or 2 that are different, but know nothing about the dead outside of a handfull of songs.

Here's a show you might like. Philadelphia Spectrum - 1987-03-31. It was simulcast on WMMR FM and both the Band and crowd were on fire that night.High energy show. I still get a kick out of them deciding on Feels Like A Stranger or Jack Straw to open. JS won out and right into a jumping Franklin's Tower and away we went. ;)

Jerry was smoking this night and the whole 2nd set seemed like one big segue, with hardly a break between songs.Touch Of Grey before it became huge to open 2nd set.

One of my top 5  GD shows ever, and still get fired up when I give it a listen.

There are a few recordings of it up on Archive, but this one is my favorite:

archive.org/details/gd1987-03-31.nak300.damico.89349.flac16
Tried to link it but it keeps coming up broken. ??? If I can get it,I'll post, but if not it's on archive under the details above and it's Grateful Dead 1987-03-31 by Joe D'Amico.

"Where's Jim going?"

ericm

Here's another really fun show. This one's from MSG-1987-09-18.

Really loved the 4-pack to end the 2nd set
Goin Down The Road Feelin Bad >
All Along The Watchtower >
Morning Dew (favorite Dew I've seen live) >
Good Lovin>la bamba>Good Lovin

Well worth a listen if for nothing else than a chills giving Dew.

archive.org/details/gd1987-09-18.nak300.damico.90241.sbeok.flac16

Still don't know why the links won't work. I put the whole link in my post, and when I preview it works, but then when I post,it goes to a broken link? ???

"Where's Jim going?"

johnnYYac

Quote from: ericm on Apr 20, 2011, 09:19 PM

http://archive.org/details/gd1987-09-18.nak300.damico.90241.sbeok.flac16

Still don't know why the links won't work. I put the whole link in my post, and when I preview it works, but then when I post,it goes to a broken link? ???
Looks like you needed to include the "http://" part at the beginning.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ericm

Quote from: johnnYYac on Apr 20, 2011, 11:03 PM

http://archive.org/details/gd1987-09-18.nak300.damico.90241.sbeok.flac16

Looks like you needed to include the "http://" part at the beginning.

Thanks john. I had that in my original post, and when I previewed, it was fine, but when it posted it came up with  a "download".archive and to a broken link. Tried it again with the previous Philly show and the same thing. ???

I'm sure I'm messing up somewhere, but if it previews fine, and posts different, I'm at a loss as to how to fix it.
"Where's Jim going?"

buaawwww

There are 2 that stand out to me amongst all the shows I went to...

3/31/1993 - Nassau Coliseum
Set I:
Cold Rain & Snow, Wang Dang Doodle, Althea, It's All Over Now, Row Jimmy, Let It Grow
Set II:
Cumberland Blues, Truckin, Lazy River Road, Playing In The Band, Uncle John's Band, Drums, Space, I Need A Miracle, Standing On The Moon, Sugar Magnolia, encore: I Fought The Law

This show holds a special place in my heart because it was my first show... And I had ingested some chemical substances prior to entering. We sat directly opposite the stage so the whole coliseum was laid out in front of me. I remember each song blending one into the other and everyone dancing like mad blending with the colors from the stage lighting and I thought I was drifting in an ocean of color listening to the greatest music ever. By the end of the show my buddy helped me back to his car, popped in a bootleg and I thought it was still the concert and was bouncing around the front seat.
Good times, good times...

9/18/1993 - MSG, NYC
Set I:
Mississippi Half Step, Little Red Rooster, Althea, Masterpiece, Brown Eyed Women, Cassidy, Loose Lucy
Set II:
Iko Iko, Victim Or The Crime, Uncle John's Band, Corinna, Drums, Space, The Wheel, All Along The Watchtower, China Doll, One More Saturday Night, encore: Gloria

Sat front row center for the first (and only) time in my life... directly under Jerry's mic. I actually wept during Half Step... got a thumbs up from Vince... and had Jerry's smiling mug in my face all night. Been to countless shows since this one... and nothing will EVER top this night for me. Miss them days...

EasyRyder

In case y'all didn't catch it- a few Bob Weir solo dates:

http://www.dead.net/features/road/bobs-first-solo-tour

Hope somebody can make one and report back!

iLikeBeer

Enjoying this Morning Dew from MSG-1987-09-18 to kick off my birthday.  Morning Dew is one of my favorite Dead tunes and this is a great version!  I would have loved to see the dead at MSG.  I've seen the Dead many times, but never at MSG or out in Cali which I think either would have been epic!   8)

Penny Lane

Quote from: iLikeBeer on May 19, 2011, 12:37 AM

Enjoying this Morning Dew from MSG-1987-09-18 to kick off my birthday.  Morning Dew is one of my favorite Dead tunes and this is a great version!  I would have loved to see the dead at MSG.  I've seen the Dead many times, but never at MSG or out in Cali which I think either would have been epic!   8)

Happy birthday, ILBeer!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

EasyRyder

!  :birthdays: Feliz cumpleanos  :birthdays: ! And good Dew choice....some tunes fizzled in the eighties, but I've always thought that Morning Dew really developed with the Dead throughout their time playing music. I especially like 87.

good lovin'>la bamba>good lovin' after that Dew sends chillz up my spine when the crowd freaks as Jerry strikes up la bamba. One of my favorite AUD's out there!

ericm

Quote from: EasyRyder on May 19, 2011, 09:47 AM

good lovin'>la bamba>good lovin' after that Dew sends chillz up my spine when the crowd freaks as Jerry strikes up la bamba. One of my favorite AUD's out there!

It's one of mine too,  :thumbsup:  and I was one of the lucky ones to be there that night.I still get chills whenever I listen to this show,and I'm sure I was one of those freakin' when Jerry broke into la bamba. ;)
"Where's Jim going?"

CTdeadhead

My favorite years are 77, 82 and 85 in that order.  Its a shame the soundboards aren't out there anymore.  I have to digitize my vault and post some shit when I get it out of storage.  I have hundreds of soundboards most straight from dats.  I will get to it eventually. 

TEO

Quote from: CTdeadhead on May 21, 2011, 02:37 AM
My favorite years are 77, 82 and 85 in that order.  Its a shame the soundboards aren't out there anymore.  I have to digitize my vault and post some shit when I get it out of storage.  I have hundreds of soundboards most straight from dats.  I will get to it eventually.

May of '77...ahhh...seem to listen to it almost every day the last few weeks...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Shug

Quote from: jones on Apr 18, 2011, 07:36 PM

Its hard to give a short answer to your question. Try this long thread at the Wilco fansite.  http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/45145-the-grateful-dead/   You will get lots of varying opinions on what years were best.

So many Deadheads agree on May 1977 being a peak period for the Grateful Dead live, you can't go wrong with any show from that month.  I also agree that Spring and Summer of 1985 were fantastic tours.  1973 and 1974 are noted for long and spacey jamming, some of which was quite jazz-fusion-y with spry playing and complex changes. 

"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"