Flaming Lips - DSOTM (at RR!)

Started by e_wind, Apr 03, 2011, 03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_wind

Have any of you all picked their version of the Dark Side of The Moon? I haven't heard it, but they're playing it at Red Rocks, and I'm wondering how a band can recreate this album. I love ththe Flaming Lips, but Im skeptical. I'm going to pick this up from ear x tacy later today hopefully, but I was wondering what other peoples thoughts on it are.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

headhunter

I have it and think that they did a great job with it.  They really put their own spin on it and while this is one of the greatest albums of all time (imo), I can't imagine another band doing a better job.  This is really a worthwhile pickup for all FL fans as well as those DSOTM fans who might be open to a progressive update.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

e_wind

Well, have now listened. Eclipse is the weakest remade song, imo, but all in all its great. Maybe it's because its the DSOTM, but after an initial listen I'd venture to say that it's the most enjoyable studio recording the Lips have done. I'm now double excited to see them the day after my birthday.

Hawkeye

Quote from: e_wind on Apr 03, 2011, 05:37 PM
Well, have now listened. Eclipse is the weakest remade song, imo, but all in all its great. Maybe it's because its the DSOTM, but after an initial listen I'd venture to say that it's the most enjoyable studio recording the Lips have done. I'm now double excited to see them the day after my birthday.

Saw them play this at Bonnaroo this past year with Stardeath and White Dwarfs...DANG  :o

You should be excited!  They're playing around here in about a month, at a small festival (Nelsonville Music Festival)

http://www.nelsonvillefest.org/

I can't quite imagine yet how their show is going to translate to a small festival, after seeing them at the 'Roo.  I hope they still pull out their usual bag of tricks!  (Wayne in the ball, props, big screen show, etc)
We could.

e_wind

Quote from: Hawkeye on Apr 04, 2011, 08:46 AM
Quote from: e_wind on Apr 03, 2011, 05:37 PM

Saw them play this at Bonnaroo this past year with Stardeath and White Dwarfs...DANG  :o

You should be excited!  They're playing around here in about a month, at a small festival (Nelsonville Music Festival)

http://www.nelsonvillefest.org/

I can't quite imagine yet how their show is going to translate to a small festival, after seeing them at the 'Roo.  I hope they still pull out their usual bag of tricks!  (Wayne in the ball, props, big screen show, etc)

I was at Roo last year and skipped this because I wasn't really a fan. IM AN IDIOT. I saw them for the first time a month later at Forecastle and it was insane. Ever since I've considered them my 2nd favorite live band behind the Jacket. Now theyre playing back to back in REd Rocks on my birthday. cannot wait.