Circuital Album & New Toons Discussion

Started by el_chode, Apr 12, 2011, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

First impressions:

• I can hear the recording difference already. There's a hiss (that's not a bad thing), it sounds like I expected based on their descriptions. This is going to be a beast on vinyl
  • Tom's bass is hair raising as it comes in. He sneaks up on you and pistol-whips you in the neck with awesome sauce
  • I was wrong - this song is just as good studio as it is live. It captures the essence. I thought we were goign to get an album that was merely a blueprint for a live performance. Not so
What say you all? So say we all?
I'm surrounded by assholes

PatrickB.

First post here... and I'll do it with a good ol' copy & paste from Facebook! Re: the new track.

Carl's geetah has some awesome effects on it. Gives it just the right atmosphere. Just awesome riffs all around. Glad to hear some reverb back on Jim's vocals, too. The production seems a bit different, a bit more raw, especially in regards to the vocal treatment (or lack there of, for the most part). I'm guessing this is because they recorded (mostly) live. Most definitely a welcomed approach because, as we all know, the band is tight as fuck, and it shows! Can't wait for the new record.

el_chode

Quote from: PatrickB. on Apr 12, 2011, 10:50 AM
First post here... and I'll do it with a good ol' copy & paste from Facebook! Re: the new track.

Carl's geetah has some awesome effects on it. Gives it just the right atmosphere. Just awesome riffs all around. Glad to hear some reverb back on Jim's vocals, too. The production seems a bit different, a bit more raw, especially in regards to the vocal treatment (or lack there of, for the most part). I'm guessing this is because they recorded (mostly) live. Most definitely a welcomed approach because, as we all know, the band is tight as fuck, and it shows! Can't wait for the new record.

So say we all

wolof7

Quote from: PatrickB. on Apr 12, 2011, 10:50 AM

Lovin Carl on this track he's all over it!
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

el_chode

Octoplasm thoughts:

• Channeling Zappa?
  • SAXOMOPHONE
  • Funky, almost easy morning rebel feel to it
  • I need multple run thrus to listen to each part
  • Tom kills it at 4:50

classicrocker623

The production sounds awesome.  I especially liked the prominence of Bo's keys, I have always felt he's the secret weapon of MMJ and his arpeggios in this song are clutch.  Carl's riffs sound perfect, love his tone here.  I didn't think it was possible, but now I'm even more excited for May 31!

Now I just have to shell out $79.99 for the deluxe box...

Bigsky

I loved this song the first time I heard it last summer...now coming from a studio release it sounds chillinglyultrasweet...so sweet that I needed to make up words for it.  :D

touchingmept2

I thought I heard some harp in there. Maybe it was Koster's keys?!
The time is near, to come forward with whatever killed your spark.

el_chode

Does the cover art remind any of you nerds of Portal?

tdb810

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
Octoplasm thoughts:

• Channeling Zappa?
  • SAXOMOPHONE

wow! this is trippy stuff! dig
.....Back at the Model Home

Crispy

Quote from: tdb810 on Apr 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Octoplasm thoughts:

• Channeling Zappa?
  • SAXOMOPHONE

OUTSTANDING. I love it, and will be listening to this over and over. The Self-Hypnosis idea is perfect.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

tdb810

Quote from: Crispy on Apr 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
Quote from: tdb810 on Apr 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Octoplasm thoughts:

• Channeling Zappa?
  • SAXOMOPHONE

OUTSTANDING. I love it, and will be listening to this over and over. The Self-Hypnosis idea is perfect.

totally need this today with all of these freaks and geeks in my workplace....

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 12, 2011, 11:12 AM

I knew the cover art wasn't gonna be that photo of the band.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

SaraBananaBear

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 12, 2011, 11:12 AM

Maaaybe... Just sign up for the stuff... then there will be cake!  ;)
Europe ♥ My Morning Jacket

The DARK

Cool artwork (though I loved the Black Metal artwork even better), but now I gotta figure out what how I'm gonna afford Octoplasm...  ;)

So I do believe that Circuital is awesome. Not much different from the live versions, but who really wanted it to be? It sounds fresh, loose, and awesome. Gonna be one of my favorite Jacket songs soon enough!  :thumbsup:
In another time, in another place, in another face

tdb810

Quote from: The DARK on Apr 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
Cool artwork (though I loved the Black Metal artwork even better), but now I gotta figure out what how I'm gonna afford Octoplasm...  ;)

So I do believe that Circuital is awesome. Not much different from the live versions, but who really wanted it to be? It sounds fresh, loose, and awesome. Gonna be one of my favorite Jacket songs soon enough!  :thumbsup:
[/b]

i love in the beginning when he says..."ah-quickly"   :thumbsup:

Brother Beck

I already knew I loved this song from hearing it live, but I have to say that I am really, really loving the production.  I love how it sounds.  Amazing stuff.  I couldn't be more excited for the new album.   

scosby2

there's so much stuff going on about the new album, roll call, forthcoming live box set, not to mention they will be playing in a few days...i don't even know what to post or where to post it

johnnYYac

Quote from: scosby2 on Apr 13, 2011, 09:53 PM
there's so much stuff going on about the new album, roll call, forthcoming live box set, not to mention they will be playing in a few days...i don't even know what to post or where to post it
Amen, brother.  I'm letting you guys figure it out.  I agree with everything that's been said and everything that's going to be said. 

I will add that, while I always liked the song Circuital (saw it live 3 times in 2010), I LOVE it now even more!  And Octoplasm is a nice treat for a Deadhead like me.  The Storytellers clips have given me aural stiffys. 

The prospect of the live box set (it has to be T5 x 5, right?).  Less than 2 months until my next MMJ show!  Less than 4 days until they take the stage again! 

:o
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

ralph

After one more listen I am banning myself from circuital for the next 2 hours...
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.