Do others think about going to every show?

Started by mahg33ta, Apr 07, 2011, 11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahg33ta

Not as in actually making every show (but if anyone had the time and money for that, more power to them)

I mean at least considering for every date- "can I make this?"   Now 95% of the time the answer is no, but I sure have fun thinking about it.

Just wondered if this was normal behavior or not?   Have you google mapped the distance between your house and Mountain Jam?   Checked airfare for flights to London?  Searched for hotels in Denver? 

I hold out hope as long as possible, until I realize it's just not in the cards.   I don't make most shows, but I don't go down without a fight.

e_wind

I've checked air line flights to London for that show and Lattitude. I've tried to win tickets for Mtn. Jam. I've considered Roo and Waka and hangout. The west coast dates are all close enough right  ;)
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Great thread, Kyle.

I would say, for every show, at least a quick thought of "can I make this."  For domestic dates, particularly biggies like T5 or Red Rocks, checking the calendar usually decides next step.  If the date has potential, Mapquest or Southwest.com get a visit. 

Last year, I thought the spring tour was the only thing happening, so I booked flight, hotel, and rental car for one of the greatest weeks of my life (Birmingham-Nashville-Atlanta).  Then, a few months later, they added dates in the northeast.  Upside- I got to 6 MMJ and one YY sow; downside- overspent my captial with the Mrs.

So this year, I'm holding back on big$$$, long-distance shows in favor of- and in hopes of- some local stops. 

Don't let me down, MMJ!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Crispy

I pretty much rule out all shows outside a day's drive from me (and rule in those that are), but for the past few years I've scheduled long road-trip vacations around traveling to see at least one MMJ show on some far off location. Last year it was San Francisco, and other destinations include Louisville, Vermont, and Montreal.  In addition to those, when major events such as Radio City and T5 have come up, I cannot resist going to many of those -- although I've never been to Bonnaroo and I missed the NYE and Prom shows that I would have enjoyed. 

This year I've got Wakarusa, Chicago, and Red Rocks already planned. I SHOULD be going to Hangout, dammit. And for other show dates this fall, I will plan to make the drive for most shows within 800 miles (Colorado, KC, St. Louis, Texas). And hopefully  that will include the shortest drive yet to see the boys in Oklahoma!

Nice thread -- I sometimes check airfare, but I am always mapping routes!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

APR

Absolutely.  I do that for every MMJ (and Pearl Jam) show..... how far is the drive or how much is the plane ticket?  I looked into Lexington, Red Rocks, Toronto, Montreal, etc. 

I would go to many an upcoming shows if my wife or any friends were as into it as I am.  Unfortunately they are not............ and I think there is less of a fun factor about it all when flying off and checking into at a hotel solo.  Does doing that sound strange?  Make any sense?  I don't mind driving a few hours and driving home solo though.

subinai

yeah i definitely think about if i have friends in the town of interest and then look at flights, hotels, etc.

tdb810

Every show. 

This particularly relates to the drought we experienced after Jim's injury/NYE 2008....I can remember frantically checking for dates on nearly a daily basis.  "No shows booked at the moment," was the sentence that dashed my dreams every day....

I have this fear that it will happen again, so even though I know that logistics, life, and budget will not permit every show...it goes through my mind, every single time.

The impulsiveness is almost too difficult to bear at times.  It's the ONLY thing in my life right now that I am impulsive about....seriously.  Not shoes, not clothes, not bags, not makeup....concerts.   It used to relate to other shows as well, but I have been able to handle that impulsivity pretty well...now it's just the Jacket that keeps me up at night schemin' and dreamin.'

And while we are on this subject, I do find myself envious at times of the people who seem to get to tons of shows, but then I remember how spoiled I have been, and that gives me peace. 

Now, fall dates, fall dates, fall dates.
.....Back at the Model Home

Penny Lane

Yes. Pretty much. Luckily I don't have the commitments and constraints that others have (for the first time in my life) so I'm able to make it more than my share.

(Like tbd, I went through a drought for a good year or so as I was nursing a broken heart, I couldn't listen to MMJ at all, I avoided the Merriweather show, Philly show and a few others. I went from NYE 2008 until Terminal 5- without seeing them. If I can help it, it'll never happen again).
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

MarkW

Oh yes.  Given the frequency with which they play in the UK/Europe, I want to go to as many as possible as they arise.  With luck they'll announce some further Euro dates, and then the first thing will be to check the calendar...

I looked at (and seriously considered) the costs of flying to SF for the Filmore NYE 06 and MSG NYE 08 shows, and T5 was a temptation even though we were relocating in both the UK and Spain at the time.  Props to Dragonboy for making it over there.

I'd love to see a Louisville MMJ show...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

johnnYYac

Seems appropriate to this thread.  I just saw ewind posted an available GA ticket for next Sunday's Lexington show.  I checked my calendar, more to see what's happening the day after, tried to figure time of travel, where to stay, started thinking about my wife's reaction, then decided to stop dreaming (and get back to work!). :-\

I just can't help it.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

kydiddle

This thread makes me laugh. Of course it's normal! Glad I'm not the only one. But to be honest, I sometimes have to steer clear of this forum or the excitement/energy will make me think I can get to every show and my credit card is about to jump out of my wallet and throw itself in the shredder....
Cow temperature.

ynwa

totally.  i have travelmath.com bookmarked so i can readily check the driving distance/time for shows in an instant & have def looked into airfare for pretty much everything that's too far to drive.  like e_wind - i even checked airfare for london  ;D

concerts are pretty much my only vice these days  :-X  but even with that, mmj is the only band that i am this nutty about.  i think the furthest i'd ever traveled (before my mmj travels) was U2 in philly (~2 hrs drive) on my bday a few years back.

but i don't think i have a problem (tho lil sis tells me i might... and shortly thereafter checks her outlook calendar too)
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Im The Dude

Yes, we usually check mapquest or google for shows that are a day drive. I'd drive to DC or NYC or Philly for another show.

If I can get the time off and its not too far away it's a "go". I LOVE planing trips for MMJ.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

slappymoe

ralph

At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

darkglow

Quote from: ralph on Apr 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
Quote from: slappymoe on Apr 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
no, i have a job.

Dude, this is why you have a job!

ralph.. i will never forget what you told me you said in your job interview...

something to to the effect of "i've no kids.. but when i want off to go see neil young or my morning jacket.. you dont have to understand it.. you just have to acknowledge that it's going to happen"

i wrote that down in my pocketbook of job interview advice..

ralph

Quote from: darkglow on Apr 10, 2011, 10:43 PM
Quote from: ralph on Apr 10, 2011, 07:44 PM
Quote from: slappymoe on Apr 10, 2011, 09:18 AM
no, i have a job.

Dude, this is why you have a job!

ralph.. i will never forget what you told me you said in your job interview...

something to to the effect of "i've no kids.. but when i want off to go see neil young or my morning jacket.. you dont have to understand it.. you just have to acknowledge that it's going to happen"

i wrote that down in my pocketbook of job interview advice..

Sounds like something I would say! I just had to negotiate time off after 2 months to go see Eddie Vedder, so they're now in tune with my needs.  Its all about training them!

"Work to live, dont live to work"  I remind myself of that everyday as I arrive at my dead-boring office job.  Its a simple transaction, I turn up and do what they tell me, then they pay me money so I can do stuff like see MMJ in New York...  Keeps me sane!

At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

tdb810

.....Back at the Model Home