Main Menu

MMJ has "it"

Started by My Monkey Friend, Apr 08, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

My Monkey Friend

I went to a band of horses show last night, and it was pretty good. I have alway really liked that band, and the live show is pretty good. But, i noticed last night i just dont get pumped for other bands anymore the way i do for a mmj show. going to a mmj show wears me out. i am in the office the next morning after last night. i also noticed that people where just barely into the BOH show, whereas at a mmj show, people are losing their minds. i guess the jacket has just set the bar too high for me.

some bands have it, some dont. MMJ has it for sure. cannot wait til they roll through texas!

Penny Lane

Quote from: My Monkey Friend on Apr 08, 2011, 10:19 AM
I went to a band of horses show last night, and it was pretty good. I have alway really liked that band, and the live show is pretty good. But, i noticed last night i just dont get pumped for other bands anymore the way i do for a mmj show. going to a mmj show wears me out. i am in the office the next morning after last night. i also noticed that people where just barely into the BOH show, whereas at a mmj show, people are losing their minds. i guess the jacket has just set the bar too high for me.

some bands have it, some dont. MMJ has it for sure. cannot wait til they roll through texas!

nice! i think most of us agree  :thumbsup:

BOH: good show, pretty music, ...not earth shattering or face melting
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

YungYave

I agree, I go to a lot of shows but there is a certain level of excitement and participation at an MMJ show that sets them apart. The music takes me over in a more intense way. I'd say the only other band that has a similar effect on me live is Pearl Jam.
his arms were thin, and off into the night they ran

Taterbug

You know who else has "it" ?  The fuckin GREATEST FANS IN THE WORLD.  I firmly believe we as fans challenge the band to give us the greatest show every time they take the stage and they feed off of OUR energy.  It's hard to play to a crowd  that sits on there fuckin thumbs and give nothing back.

Greatest Fans + Greatest Band = Euphoric Eargasm
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

e_wind

I have to say, I was totally unimpressed with BOH live. Pretty music, but boring on stage.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

ynwa

i went to see british sea power a few years ago.  if you're not familiar with them, they are... ummmm.... very interesting to say the least.  and their stage presence is pretty spectacular (no mmj, mind you).  it was an odd yet really good, highly energized show musically, choc full of wacky on (and off) stage antics as well.  basically, a frenzy from start to finish & the crowd just ate it up.  in fact - they expected it.

the opener, however, was the extereme opposite.  i can't even remeber her name (telling), but it was this lone singer-songwriter chick w/ just a guitar and a couple effects pedals and that was it.  now, while her songs were ok - the crowd just was NOT into her.  i mean, like, hear a pin drop/crickets chirping type silence during her whole set.  everyone was just kind of looking up, heads cocked to the side [like dogs do when you say "wanna... (insert any word or phrase here whilst sounding reeeaaalllly excited)?!?!].  after a few songs she said something like, "c'mon guys, it's pretty hard doing this in total silence.", which prompted a few half-hearted cheers and a little applause (plus 1 rude cat-caller who bellowed "then play something GOOD!"  :-X).  i mean, it was really awkward & i felt pretty bad for her because, yeah - it would've been really fucking hard to be up there, playing your songs to little to no reaction :-\ 

maybe it had more to do with the fact that the crowd was there for a band that's known to go completely berzerk on stage, but, YAWN!  i'd never been to a show where that happened before, nor have i since.

not sure how this relates to mmj kicking all kinds of ass live.  sorry, i got a little lost on my own tangent there  ;D     
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

Penny Lane

Quote from: ynwa on Apr 08, 2011, 04:12 PM
i went to see british sea power a few years ago.  if you're not familiar with them, they are... ummmm.... very interesting to say the least.  and their stage presence is pretty spectacular (no mmj, mind you).  it was an odd yet really good, highly energized show musically, choc full of wacky on (and off) stage antics as well.  basically, a frenzy from start to finish & the crowd just ate it up.  in fact - they expected it.

the opener, however, was the extereme opposite.  i can't even remeber her name (telling), but it was this lone singer-songwriter chick w/ just a guitar and a couple effects pedals and that was it.  now, while her songs were ok - the crowd just was NOT into her.  i mean, like, hear a pin drop/crickets chirping type silence during her whole set.  everyone was just kind of looking up, heads cocked to the side [like dogs do when you say "wanna... (insert any word or phrase here whilst sounding reeeaaalllly excited)?!?!].  after a few songs she said something like, "c'mon guys, it's pretty hard doing this in total silence.", which prompted a few half-hearted cheers and a little applause (plus 1 rude cat-caller who bellowed "then play something GOOD!"  :-X).  i mean, it was really awkward & i felt pretty bad for her because, yeah - it would've been really fucking hard to be up there, playing your songs to little to no reaction :-\ 

maybe it had more to do with the fact that the crowd was there for a band that's known to go completely berzerk on stage, but, YAWN!  i'd never been to a show where that happened before, nor have i since.

not sure how this relates to mmj kicking all kinds of ass live.  sorry, i got a little lost on my own tangent there  ;D   

LOVE British Seapower!! I saw them once, they put on an amazing show--haven't thought of them in years..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

headhunter

Quote from: My Monkey Friend on Apr 08, 2011, 10:19 AM

Agreed.  Most live music I see is good.  Some is great.  Only a few are live-affirming.  MMJ is in the category of best moments of a year.  Always.

was some shakin' and some record playin'

ynwa

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 08, 2011, 08:31 PM
Quote from: ynwa on Apr 08, 2011, 04:12 PM

LOVE British Seapower!! I saw them once, they put on an amazing show--haven't thought of them in years..

nice!  we should like, hang out & go to shows n stuff.  for realz.
"You have to be odd to be number one." -- Dr. Seuss

el_chode

There are very few bands touring today that have "it"

Of the big names, I think only Wilco and Ween have given MMJ competition in my book.

Other bands I love seeing live, but it's a different show. Dirtbombs, Flaming Lips, and Reigning Sound being prime examples.
I'm surrounded by assholes

DejaView2011

:) :thumbsup: AMEN BROTHER!! You're preaching to the choir. My first MMj shows are approaching and I've never been so excited to see any band. 5 shows this year minimum. That's my goal. Best band on the planet. Period.
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?