MMJ & Co Complete Vinyl / Catalogue

Started by e_wind, Apr 18, 2011, 03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

i should've checked that thread first before starting this one, although that thread got a bit sidetracked  ;) So I see that all of the AD repressed vinyl are colored, if Darla would've been more specific I would've just ordered straight from them.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

kotchishm

Vinyl Thread....fyi my It Still Moves reissue sounds terrible, this is a common problem I believe so look for an original

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/forum/index.php?topic=14261.msg250114#msg250114
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Kory

i have some additions to your list that i know just from doing my search while building the collection...

There is a UK pressing of TTF that I had at one point and traded for a US with the 7"
instead of the boys with cigarettes in their mouths there was just more pics of the pool from the front.

There were also two color pressings of At Dawn and TTF a couple years ago:
At Dawn red/gold (1000)
At Dawn blue/green (1000)
TTF blue/green (1000)
TTF red/gold (1000)

also, they pressed Acoustic Citsuoca in blue as well as gold, red and black.

ISM UK pressing of 1000 was not a repress but just a pressing for the UK. my UK pressing has different disc labels that have the bear and glitter on him like the front cover or something and doesn't have the number filled in like ____/1000 so i don't know if that's a repress after they ran out of the 1000 or somehow mine slipped through the cracks. I bought it at earX back in 03 as an import.

There is also the 7" from fader with Jim and M. Ward

Also, the Darla 7" with a different version of Just because i do. (at least it sounds different to me)

Thats all i can think of for now...
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Kory on Jun 02, 2011, 01:30 PM
i have some additions to your list that i know just from doing my search while building the collection...

There is a UK pressing of TTF that I had at one point and traded for a US with the 7"
instead of the boys with cigarettes in their mouths there was just more pics of the pool from the front.

There were also two color pressings of At Dawn and TTF a couple years ago:
At Dawn red/gold (1000)
At Dawn blue/green (1000)
TTF blue/green (1000)
TTF red/gold (1000)

also, they pressed Acoustic Citsuoca in blue as well as gold, red and black.

ISM UK pressing of 1000 was not a repress but just a pressing for the UK. my UK pressing has different disc labels that have the bear and glitter on him like the front cover or something and doesn't have the number filled in like ____/1000 so i don't know if that's a repress after they ran out of the 1000 or somehow mine slipped through the cracks. I bought it at earX back in 03 as an import.

There is also the 7" from fader with Jim and M. Ward

Also, the Darla 7" with a different version of Just because i do. (at least it sounds different to me)

Thats all i can think of for now...

Just got back from the record store and bought:
Acoustic Citsuoca on blue vinyl
There was two copies and noticed they were different, i went for what looked liked the older release that had Badman Records on it.
TTF
AD

They have to be the reissues because they came with mp3 DL cards, but they're not colored.
Chocolate And Ice swirled pic disc
I didn't notice until I got home that it's cracked, so I'll have to return it.  :(

Goose24

So if I order the reissue of At Dawn on Darla right now it will be colored?

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: Goose24 on Jul 06, 2011, 01:37 AM
So if I order the reissue of At Dawn on Darla right now it will be colored?

I just bought At Dawn at a record store recently and it was definitely a reissue (had a mp3 DL card) and it wasn't colored. Maybe you could e-mail Darla Records and ask them.

Goose24

yeah I don't think its colored then because I recently got a new TTF at a record store and that was just black

e_wind

Updated to the best of my ability, I just wrote little darla 7", because I'm nit sure how many there are or what songs are on em.

CC, it would be cool if this could get "sticky-Ed", cause I'm sure the vinyl discussion and collecting will only get bigger as the band gets bigger
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

foomex

Hi there, vinyl noob here.
I'm trying to get MMJ's discography on vinyl going from circuital and back.

I was trying different places, and finally decided to get them off amazon since it has the best prices on the LP's for Evil Urges, Z and It Still Moves, but the description does not specify if these ATO releases include a CD (for easy rippage/ipod situation).

Do you think they do? Has anyone bought some of these?

e_wind

my guess is yes they will. I don't believe that Z and EU were ever pressed anywhere else, so they definitely should. All three more than likely do

johnnYYac

I'm beginning to build my MMJ vinyl, starting with two sets of unwarped green vinyl, aka Circuital, and the lmt. ed. single. 

I just scored new copies of Acoustic Citsuoca and Okonokos.  I may start trying for the picture discs for ISM, Z, and EU, though is there any reason why they shouldn't be played?  I know folks are collecting them, but I assume they sound good?

I'm loving the turntable.  My wife inherited a ton of Beatles and L. Zep from her aunt, who was murdered (not pertinent to the story, but...), plus we've a bunch of my old P. Floyd, B. Dylan, and G. Dead LPs from decades ago.  Sad to realize, somewhere down the road, I gave away the albums from my junior high years- AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Quiet Riot, Ozzy, etc. 
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

e_wind

I don't play my picture disks but that's because I don't know if it will scratch em. And I have regular copies anyways. I also don't try to hard to collect vinyl because it gets XPENSIVE, so I may not be the person to ask anyway. And john, I may have an extra sealed Circuital single if you're looking.

johnnYYac

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 08, 2011, 10:21 AM
I don't play my picture disks but that's because I don't know if it will scratch em. And I have regular copies anyways. I also don't try to hard to collect vinyl because it gets XPENSIVE, so I may not be the person to ask anyway. And john, I may have an extra sealed Circuital single if you're looking.
Thanks, but I've got the single.  BTW, did you check your PMs?

Crispy

It is generally accepted that picture discs do not have the same sonic quality as regular vinyl, because of the extra layers of vinyl added, including the image and a clear layer over that. Read more here: picture discs

I recently acquired the ISM picture disc, and it sounds pretty good -- as good as my regular copy, but that is likely due to the combination of having played it so many times and the condition of my TT, not to mention lots of folks think the ATO pressing sounds pretty crappy anyway.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

johnnYYac

Thanks, Chris.  I was thinking I would kill two birds with one stone, and I'm not all that hung up about displaying pic discs.  Still, to enjoy the true vinyl experience, sounds like the "standard", non-ATO pressings are the way to go.

What about colored vinyl vs. black?  I'm guessing less of an issue.

foomex

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 07, 2011, 03:00 PM
my guess is yes they will. I don't believe that Z and EU were ever pressed anywhere else, so they definitely should. All three more than likely do
Thanks! I think I'll get them, the "ATO mastering" or whatever it's called doesn't bother me that much because I have crappy ears. :(

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jul 08, 2011, 10:59 AM
What about colored vinyl vs. black?  I'm guessing less of an issue.
There is debate about colored vinyl too. The process begins with clear PVC, then carbon black is added to strengthen the disc (necessary in the old days), and supposedly contains an "agent" to smooth the stylus's travel through the grooves. Apparently colored vinyl lacks this, though I wonder if this is still true. More useless but interesting info
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

johnnYYac

Both good reads.  Thanks again.

searchinbig

Hey you vinyl junkies.....have a question. I now have heard three different copies if Circuital and really don't think this record sounds that great. Not the recorded quality of the music and of course not the music itself but the pressing . The green vinyl seems to have a lot of static and cracks and pops. Did any of you folks experience this? I have tons of vinyl and virgin vinyl sounds awesome when you first play it. I wonder if the colored vinyl makes a difference.
I have other colored vinyl  that sounds great. What do you guys think??
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

foomex

Today I received
-Z
-Evil Urges

And yes, they both included the CD (thanks, e_wind).
I'm on my first EVER listen of Z as I type :D
Friday will bring me Circuital and It Still Moves will ship next week.