Main Menu

Wilco: The Thread

Started by johnnYYac, Apr 21, 2011, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jahmazed

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 28, 2011, 10:21 PM
Today, at work, I listened to A Ghost is Born.  Tonight I'm listening to The Whole Love.  I think I get it.  Its sinking in.  These guys are good!  Better late than never.

SOOO good!  And even better live.. check out ashes dvd and television..  :thumbsup:

Jon T.

Today, at work, I listened to A Ghost is Born.  Tonight I'm listening to The Whole Love.  I think I get it.  Its sinking in.  These guys are good!  Better late than never.

Have you listened to Kicking Television?  It's their Okonokos.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Jon T. on Sep 30, 2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I only have Ghost is Born and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but will start looking into other releases.  I'm thinking I missed something special with that festival they did in Mass. this summer.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Jon T.

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 30, 2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the advice.  I only have Ghost is Born and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but will start looking into other releases.  I'm thinking I missed something special with that festival they did in Mass. this summer.

I took my own advice and am listening right now on Spotify.  It is  perfect  this Friday afternoon.  You probably did miss something special but they tour relentlessly.  Plenty of more opportunities - plus you'll be more familar with them.  Shit, you'll probably have ten shows under your belt by this time next year!   ;D

Jahmazed

Quote from: johnnYYac on Sep 30, 2011, 02:39 PM

Not to rub it in but yup you missed something special  :D  But don't worry I'm almost sure they are planning it again for this summer.   Hope to see you there!

YimBlaylock

Just saw Wilco for the first (and second) time during their two night stand at the Ryman. Absolutely blown away. This year marks the first times I've seen MMJ and Wilco. Really makes me wonder what I've been doing with my life up until now.
It's all happening.

NoVa_NoLa

johnnYYac

Quote from: NoVa_NoLa on Oct 06, 2011, 02:00 PM
Quote from: CTdeadhead on Sep 25, 2011, 07:14 PM
Streaming the Merriwether show on npr now.

Missed the stream, but listening to the archived version now:
http://pd.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/asc/2011/09/20110926_asc_wilco.mp3
Thanks!

Right click the link, then "Save target as" to download this show (a single, 2-hour mp3). 

NoVa_NoLa

This is a very good show!!  I've had a couple of interruptions so I'm just getting to the end...

I like living in New Orleans, but being out of easy commuting distance to shows like this is tough! 

Thank goodness for the recordings!  :beer:

e_wind

currently obsessed with wilco. i get it. what a band. thinking about saving money and going to multiple nights of wilco in chicago instead of MMJ MSG NYC
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Jahmazed

Quote from: e_wind on Oct 16, 2011, 04:12 AM
currently obsessed with wilco. i get it. what a band. thinking about saving money and going to multiple nights of wilco in chicago instead of MMJ MSG NYC

Touch choice... I would have a very hard time deciding between those.. not a bad problem to have though ;D

woodnymph

Oh! Ohhhhh I may have found an entrance into Wilco Land!  Just found out the details on the song California Stars, a song I've come to enjoy......

So now I'm checking out Mermaid Avenue, wow am I late to the party!  1998'er.....  Well I like how it's Woody Guthrie lyrics, that's what really caught my eye.

Just got excited because I always see this thread and have heard so much hype about Wilco but hadn't found my In.... perhaps this will be it!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: woodnymph on Oct 17, 2011, 09:59 AM
Oh! Ohhhhh I may have found an entrance into Wilco Land!  Just found out the details on the song California Stars, a song I've come to enjoy......

So now I'm checking out Mermaid Avenue, wow am I late to the party!  1998'er.....  Well I like how it's Woody Guthrie lyrics, that's what really caught my eye.

Just got excited because I always see this thread and have heard so much hype about Wilco but hadn't found my In.... perhaps this will be it!

The mermaid Ave albums are great. Be sure to check out "Remember the Mountain Bed"... one of the most beautiful songs ever written.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

marino13

I love the Natalie Merchant song "Birds and Ships" on the first Mermaid album as well.  Last year, Wilco were closing many of their shows with "Hoodoo Voodoo" from the Mermaid albums, which included some great guitar dueling at the end.

I got extremely lucky over the weekend and scored two tickets to their show at the Metro in Chicago.  Very small venue for them.  They first sold out the Civic Opera House, and then added shows, selling out one at a time, at the Riviera, The Vic and The Metro.  Each venue is subsequently smaller.  Rumor has it they may add one more at an even smaller club.  To avoid scalpers, they have been placing a two ticket limit and will call only for pickup.  The person who ordered has to have ID and the credit card they used to get the tickets, and all members of the party have to enter at the same time, no exceptions.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: marino13 on Oct 17, 2011, 11:08 AM
I got extremely lucky over the weekend and scored two tickets to their show at the Metro in Chicago.  Very small venue for them.  They first sold out the Civic Opera House, and then added shows, selling out one at a time, at the Riviera, The Vic and The Metro.  Each venue is subsequently smaller.  Rumor has it they may add one more at an even smaller club.  To avoid scalpers, they have been placing a two ticket limit and will call only for pickup.  The person who ordered has to have ID and the credit card they used to get the tickets, and all members of the party have to enter at the same time, no exceptions.

You're very lucky! I tried to get a ticket to that metro show but had no luck... was going to make a quick trip to Chicago for it. Hopefully they'll stop by Philly sometime in 2012.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

e_wind

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Oct 17, 2011, 11:28 AM
Quote from: marino13 on Oct 17, 2011, 11:08 AM

You're very lucky! I tried to get a ticket to that metro show but had no luck... was going to make a quick trip to Chicago for it. Hopefully they'll stop by Philly sometime in 2012.

That's awesome. I was a moderate fan and slept on Nashville, Indi, and Chicago to save for MMJ NYC. Really wish I would've gone to 2 nights at the Ryman in Nashville. They're too damn good. The live videos really sold, they showed me how these dudes can rock live, even if the song seems mellow.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

johnnYYac

Wilco's Tiny Desk Concert @ NPR - video

Audio only.

Set list:
1.Dawned On Me
2.Whole Love
3.Born Alone
4.War On War

headhunter

This is a great video. Find 20 minutes and watch it if you can.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

woodnymph

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Oct 17, 2011, 10:57 AM
Quote from: woodnymph on Oct 17, 2011, 09:59 AM

The mermaid Ave albums are great. Be sure to check out "Remember the Mountain Bed"... one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

*jaw drop*

This is absolutely beautiful.
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

marino13

http://lincolnhallchicago.com/Page/Shows?Month=December&Year=2011

Just announced a benefit concert on Dec. 18th at Lincoln Hall in Chicago, capacity 500!!!