MMJ gets crafty!

Started by EcoCrafty, Jul 30, 2009, 10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms. yvon

LD, i def recommend going into a shop for instruction.  you can buy a skein of yarn that's easy to learn with (not too thin, or easily frayed) and have someone show you.

once someone shows you the basics (knit and purl stitches) it's a little easier to interpret instrucions and pictures.

also:  nice flowbie ref, amy!  ;D
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

Sassbox

Ms. Yvon is right...that's the easiest.  After that, definitely try knittinghelp.com for a refresher or to learn new techniques.  Their videos are fantastic and very easy to follow!
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Sassbox

Ms. Yvon, you make these yet?  The yarn is sitting on my hutch, mocking me.

dragonboy

Someone needs to get really crafty & makes some MMJ dolls like these...

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

weeniebeenie

QuoteSomeone needs to get really crafty & makes some MMJ dolls like these...

Second from the right could be Patrick. He's got the hair.
How loud can silence get?

ms. yvon

but he's wearing shoes.

sass, i haven't used it yet.  i forgot to order it.  d'oh!  i've been on a bit of a tear trying to use a lot of yarn in my stash, but one skein won't be too much to deal with...   ;)
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

the_wizzard

QuoteSomeone needs to get really crafty & makes some MMJ dolls like these...

My Grandma used to knit us toys.  She knit us sooooooooo many dolls and toys with outfits and all (the best is an octopus with super long arms).  She was super good at knitting doll clothes.  There has to be someone out there with the skills and free time....I would love to see some MMJ dolls knitted with the MMJ yarn (for their denim, of course).

vespachick

Has anyone finished their Mitts?  I'm a fairly new knitter and I am having trouble getting past the easy part (i.e., I'm now at the thumb shaping set up and the instructions don't make sense to me.)  Also, I'm using dpn's just make my life more frustrating.  Anyone?

Love Dogg, I may have to rescind my previous offer at this rate, but perhaps you've taken Penny up on her challenge?  

My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Love Dogg

QuoteHas anyone finished their Mitts?  I'm a fairly new knitter and I am having trouble getting past the easy part (i.e., I'm now at the thumb shaping set up and the instructions don't make sense to me.)  Also, I'm using dpn's just make my life more frustrating.  Anyone?

Love Dogg, I may have to rescind my previous offer at this rate, but perhaps you've taken Penny up on her challenge?  

That's okay Vespa.  I totally understand.  But which Penny challenge are you referring to, exactly?  I'm starting to lose track of them all.   ;)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Sassbox

HAHAHAHAHAHA.  My yarn's still on the hutch, where I put it the day it arrived eons ago.  :) What specifically are you having trouble with?

vespachick

Well, I'm sure this will be too convoluted, but here goes: I've gotten to the section "Begin Thumb shaping", Round 1, but by the time I get to the second line of the instructions (Place Marker, K1, M1R, K2, M1L, K1) the next instruction says "Round 2", however I still have stitches left on the first Round (essentially most of Needle 2).  Am I supposed to just "K" the remaining stitches until I get to the end of Needle 2?  (Also, during this instruction she says "you will have 4 st left on needle 1, but I only had 3; I think this is an error in the recipe).  (This is all further compounded slightly because I'm using 5 double-pointed needles, rather than 2 circular and I SUCK at math).

Also, in round 3 and beyond where it says "continue needle 2 in pattern", does that mean "repeat"?  I'm no sure which "In Pattern" it refers to.   :-[

My bro-in-law is coming for Thanksgiving, so worse case scenario: the master of knitting can help right my wrongs and teach the ignorant!!!

ms. yvon

answer to the short question:

"continue in pattern" means that if you're knitting ribs, continue the ribs.  if you're knitting a cable, continue to cable.

i haven't read the pattern.  

maybe reading ahead in the pattern will solve the mystery of the thumb shaping.  sometimes a thumb is shaped by putting stitches on a holder and coming back to finish the thumb once the rest of the glove is knit.

hmm.

i'm curious.  let me see what i can find...  *pushes up glasses*

ms. yvon

just went to the site to finally buy a skein of this yarn and got the last one in stock.  my guess is that she'll dye more, but...neat!

amy, no news on your pattern.  have you made any progress?

dfay

Lil Jon has an energy drink call Crunk Juice and now MMJ has signature yarn. Seems appropriate.

vespachick

Quotejust went to the site to finally buy a skein of this yarn and got the last one in stock.  my guess is that she'll dye more, but...neat!

amy, no news on your pattern.  have you made any progress?

That is good news!  But no, I haven't gotten past my stump because I'm worried I'm gonna ruin it.  I was hoping the yarn girl would respond to my email query I sent, but she hasn't..... I may try my local shop for help.  Barring that, I wait till Turkey Day for the master. ;)  

Let me know how it goes with yours.  Especially when you get to the shaping thumb part!! :D

Sassbox

Vespa, have you checked out the site for errata?  I was hoping I could help, but I can't make heads or tails of it, either.

ms. yvon

i read the pattern last night and found the mistake!

--when you are instructed to *K4, slip 1* 5 times, it should be FOUR TIMES .

this will leave 5 stitches on the needle that are needed for the next series of stitches (K1, M1, K3, M1, K1)

i didn't read any farther than that.  i just looked to see what you had to do to leave 5 sts on the needle for the thumb.

all that said:  i received my yarn last night and it is beautiful!  gorgeous color and so so soft.  well done, turtledove yarns!  [smiley=beer.gif]

Sian-of-the-dead

OMG!!! I need those mitts!  :D

It's not a want... it's a need.

My mum knits... If I order, she will make... hmmm....

;D

EDIT: Out of stock. Bugger.
Don't let 'em take who you are boy, and don't try to be who you ain't...

vespachick

Okay, there are def omissions and errors in the instructions.  Ms. Y, you're right about your correction, as well you end up moving a couple of stitches from needle 1 to needle 2 in the first rounds because of it.  We figured out a way to work through the omissions, but it then will involve some switching around of the instructions when I get to Mitt #2, as the way we cured the omission was to to "knit" the remainder of the round which ultimately will make it a "Right Hand Mitt", i.e, if I follow the instructions exactly as the first Mitt when I make the second one, I will have ribs on the palm rather than the top of the hand.

So this is how it turns out:
Begin Thumb shaping", Round 1, but by the time I get to the second line of the instructions (Place Marker, K1, M1R, K2, M1L, K1) the next instruction says "Round 2", however I still have stitches left on the first Round (essentially most of Needle 2).  Am I supposed to just "K" the remaining stitches until I get to the end of Needle 2? I went ahead and knit the remainder of the round, thereby removing the ribs from the palm of the Mitt  (Also, during this instruction she says "you will have 4 st left on needle 1, but I only had 3; I think this is an error in the recipe as Ms. Y says, yes you will have 3 left and you will need to borrow a knit from the next round).  

And so, to make a Left Hand Mitt, we are going to reverse a portion of the the instructions and do (Place Marker, K1, M1R, K2, M1L, K1) FIRST in the round series and do K5, "sl1 wyib, repeat" as the second portions of the rounds

That's all for now.  I'm almost done with Mitt #1.  

ms. yvon

damn, that's some heavy lifting in the engineering dept, amy.  well done! [smiley=beer.gif]
i'm still considering a pair of socks done in this yarn.  just have to find the right pattern...