BLACK METAL!!!!

Started by scosby2, Apr 25, 2011, 11:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scosby2

Quote from: scosby2 on Apr 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Quote from: 1eyed_jack on Apr 25, 2011, 11:44 AM
that exact song is?

if so that's pretty cool, it sounds exactly the same though
just checked and it's not the exact song...just the same album cover and everything..they definitely sampled the tune...crazy shit
wonder if she is singin about black metal?

bigkidfallsdown.com

This tune is incredibly awesome and fun.
11.10.07 Knoxville, TN • Bonnarroo '08 • MoF 10.31.09 Louisville, KY • 8.17.10 Chicago, IL

midwesterner

This is a little weird. I personally don't know what falls in to plagiarism but those sound very very similar. Although I can't believe they would uses something without permission.

scosby2

Quote from: midwesterner on Apr 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
This is a little weird. I personally don't know what falls in to plagiarism but those sound very very similar. Although I can't believe they would uses something without permission.
no one has said they didn't get permission...i'm pretty sure they did considering he listed them in spin magazine as an influence...if you are gonna copy something illegally i assume you will try and cover your tracks a little bit

bigkidfallsdown.com

You could sample and pay homage right? Esp if you acknowledge it.
11.10.07 Knoxville, TN • Bonnarroo '08 • MoF 10.31.09 Louisville, KY • 8.17.10 Chicago, IL

midwesterner

Quote from: scosby2 on Apr 25, 2011, 11:56 AM
no one has said they didn't get permission...i'm pretty sure they did considering he listed them in spin magazine as an influence...if you are gonna copy something illegally i assume you will try and cover your tracks a little bit

Agreed. I guess one problem with releasing a song early you can't review the liner notes and stuff.

scosby2

Quote from: midwesterner on Apr 25, 2011, 12:07 PM
Quote from: scosby2 on Apr 25, 2011, 11:56 AM

Agreed. I guess one problem with releasing a song early you can't review the liner notes and stuff.
very true

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: 1eyed_jack on Apr 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
maybe i'm an idiot, but i saw someone posted this on the facebook replies

Siamese Soul Thai Pop Spectacular Vol.2 - 60s/80s

looks like the video was posted in 2010, so its not a joke or anything.

is this going to be a cover song on the album for MMJ, cause it seems rather blatant, no?

Hahaha wow... this "new" MMJ song is basically a cover.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

EasyRyder

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 25, 2011, 12:18 PM

is this going to be a cover song on the album for MMJ, cause it seems rather blatant, no?

Love it!!! How many bands can claim to have covered soul thai pop?? I agree it's entirely similar, but black metal sounds soo much schmooover. I didn't expect that, can't wait to groove it out live.

And the guitar solo sounds like some straight 60s psych-fuzz....nothin' wrong with expressing your roots  :D :D geeze what a freak-flag song this is.
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

patrickbateman

I think what people are forgetting is that artists sample other artists' work all the time. I think the reason people are so confused by this is the fact that it is mostly hip hop artists. How many hip hop songs by the likes of Jay-Z, Kanye West, etc. have sampled other artists' hooks/beats/chords? A lot. I'd also like to bring up the fact that another Jim James track, recorded by Monsters of Folk, titled Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F.) sampled Trevor Dandy's "Is There Any Love." He's basically just paying homage to a song/artist that he really admires while recording his own, original track.

walterfredo

so you have to have a facebook account to listen to this.....booooooooh!!

antonio

Quote from: patrickbateman on Apr 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
I think what people are forgetting is that artists sample other artists' work all the time. I think the reason people are so confused by this is the fact that it is mostly hip hop artists. How many hip hop songs by the likes of Jay-Z, Kanye West, etc. have sampled other artists' hooks/beats/chords? A lot. I'd also like to bring up the fact that another Jim James track, recorded by Monsters of Folk, titled Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F.) sampled Trevor Dandy's "Is There Any Love." He's basically just paying homage to a song/artist that he really admires while recording his own, original track.

This really fits the whole "Circuital" theme too. Musically we go all over the place and end up back at places we were before. Musical history is a living, breathing, changing, evolving thing, but on some elemental level, stuff that worked decades ago (even on the other side of the world!) can still power the circuits that are running now. This double works when you consider that the song seems to be about holding onto Black Metal (and everything that comes with that concept) in favor of just completely turning off a circuit and moving on to something totally different (teen pop is mentioned in the song.)

el_chode

If you like Led Zeppelin, then don't complain.

Regardless, there are numerous legal methods to do this

1) License
2) it's public domain
3) It's not copyrighted here in the US, which means the international release will be different, or the thai release will be different
4) The vanilla ice duh duh duh duh DUH duh method
I'm surrounded by assholes

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Apr 25, 2011, 12:18 PM

I should clarify by stating I'm not bashing the band nor do I have a problem with the similarity. Kind of cool... how many other bands would even listen to that song, let alone record a tribute,cover,sample of it?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

EasyRyder

Quote from: el_chode on Apr 25, 2011, 12:47 PM

1) License
2) it's public domain
3) It's not copyrighted here in the US, which means the international release will be different, or the thai release will be different

Law & Order: Sound Effect
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

el_chode

Quote from: EasyRyder on Apr 25, 2011, 12:53 PM
Quote from: el_chode on Apr 25, 2011, 12:47 PM

1) License
2) it's public domain

Law & Order: Sound Effect

If you'd like to star in your own law and order copyright episode, check out this site where you can be the judge of numerous copyright infringement lawsuits:

http://cip.law.ucla.edu/cases/Pages/default.aspx

Ruckus

It was made pretty clear here no?
http://www.spin.com/articles/influences-my-morning-jackets-jim-james

I love the frickin' original track!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

el_chode

I love when bands reimagine songs instead of just do a simple cover. i may like this even more knowing the origins

[begin threadjack]
The Dirtbombs - No Expectations
A Tribute to Doves - Hit The Ground Running
[end threadjack]

buymycar

Love it!  MMJ bringing Thai Pop to the masses!  This band is always throwing curve balls at us.  Keep it up!

This song makes me wonder about the live show.  Are they going to tour with a horn section and a chorus section?  That would be ace.

Caseydog

Quote from: buymycar on Apr 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Love it!  MMJ bringing Thai Pop to the masses!  This band is always throwing curve balls at us.  Keep it up!

This song makes me wonder about the live show.  Are they going to tour with a horn section and a chorus section?  That would be ace.

I'm guessing we'll be getting us some horns!!!