Circuital.... anyone heard the entire album yet?

Started by steve_h, May 04, 2011, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

Quote from: BigHerm on May 04, 2011, 04:24 PM
I think the critique would be more helpful if it was based on more than, "It doesn't sound exactly like [Insert Album Here]" After the initial reaction to Evil Urges, and now Circuital it seems a lot of people fell in love with an album (AD or ISM) instead of the band. You guys are going to continue to be disappointed if you are expecting MMJ to make an album identical to a previous one. It's. Not. Going. To. Happen. Period.

Next time an album is released try to let go of your irrational expectations before listening.

what should be people base their expectations on (if not previous albums)..?
music is subjective...should it be more complicated?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

FiddleCastro

Quote from: Tennessee Jed on May 04, 2011, 04:30 PM
my main beef is the lack of strong guitar jams...

Mine, too, but it's still a very solid album. Nothing like ISM or Z or EU or whatever, but it's still excellent.
I NEEDED IT MOST WHENEVER tbh

e_wind

Quote from: BH on May 04, 2011, 04:35 PM
Quote from: Penny Lane on May 04, 2011, 04:27 PM
Gotta defend Steve here. He's clearly a big enough fan to be compelled enough to register on a forum. Everyone should be able to express themselves, whether it's a first post or 5000th post (for postaholics like me).

I would agree if you just changed your statement to read "second post or 5000th post."

If a person was never moved enough in the past to even post one time, why would they do it now?  Just confusing to me is all.

I agree with you.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

BigHerm

Quote from: Penny Lane

Why do people think the next album is going to sound like a previous one? That's what I'm not understanding...

Tennessee Jed

Quote from: My Monkey Friend on May 04, 2011, 04:34 PM
from what people have heard, has there been any pedal steel on circuital?

Yes, there is, but not really prominent...nothing as beautiful as "Golden", which admittedly is hard to beat.

I think i'll eventually come around to this, but it will never replace my faves ISM/Z. I guess I just keep waiting for them to put together their magnum opus, and this is the 2nd album in a row to fall way short of that.

Tennessee Jed

Quote from: BigHerm on May 04, 2011, 04:41 PM

Why do people think the next album is going to sound like a previous one? That's what I'm not understanding...

Why is that so hard to understand? That is typically the case 95% of the time!

My Monkey Friend

Yes, there is, but not really prominent...nothing as beautiful as "Golden", which admittedly is hard to beat.

i loved how they used in on EU and Z, so hopefully its like that. sounds like this is going to be a good album to kick off summer to.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Tennessee Jed on May 04, 2011, 04:43 PM
Quote from: BigHerm on May 04, 2011, 04:41 PM

Why is that so hard to understand? That is typically the case 95% of the time!

i think it's human nature...you don't fall in love with an album or 3 or 4 albums and think 'gee, i can't wait till they try something completely different than this' (i'm not saying artists and bands can't grow and change and try new things--) i just don't understand your statement about having irrational expectations..
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Taterbug

My personal opinion which I stated when EU leaked,  I will try to be nicer this time  ;).

I think it's disingenuous to the band ( that your a HUGE fan of ) to give a negative view of it before the the official release.  We don't want to discourage people from BUYING it do we ?

Steve H. Welcome to the board.  I hope you enjoy it more after you buy it. It may grow on you.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

My Monkey Friend

I think it's disingenuous to the band ( that your a HUGE fan of ) to give a negative view of it before the the official release.  We don't want to discourage people from BUYING it do we ?

that pretty much sums up my confusion from a previous post i made.

Ruckus

Quote from: el_chode on May 04, 2011, 04:27 PM
Quote from: BigHerm on May 04, 2011, 04:24 PM
I think the critique would be more helpful if it was based on more than, "It doesn't sound exactly like [Insert Album Here]" After the initial reaction to Evil Urges, and now Circuital it seems a lot of people fell in love with an album (AD or ISM) instead of the band. You guys are going to continue to be disappointed if you are expecting MMJ to make an album identical to a previous one. It's. Not. Going. To. Happen. Period.

Next time an album is released try to let go of your irrational expectations before listening.

I like your style, man.
If I may diasagree respectfully, I find it patronizing to be told by someone how to listen to an album.  You can tell me to throw away expectations and to appreciate creativity and experimentation but in the end, I'm Amazed or Two Halves  will always come across as terrible soft rock, pop songs playable next to Michael Bolton and Bryan Adams.  That won't change.  Without context, there is no baseline.  What is then the point of a message board.  Uncontrolled adulation in a vacuum?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BigHerm

I'm Amazed or Two Halves  will always come across as terrible soft rock, pop songs playable next to Michael Bolton and Bryan Adams.  That won't change.
I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with, you didn't address anything I said. I never said people aren't allowed to criticize Evil Urges did I?

Tracy 2112

I'm with BH and Tater on this one.  :thumbsup:

My stance is you open your Christmas presents on Christmas morning and you don't whine about getting the wrong color Power Ranger if you open your presents on December 3rd....or say this Christmas isn't as good as last Christmas, with the wrong color Power Ranger on December 3rd. Weak.

Go to a band's web site after obtaining their music without their consent or permission then bash it! How cool is that?  :-\      oh, but I'm a fan.... whatever.

makes me just want to bite my pillow
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

e_wind

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 04, 2011, 05:18 PM
I'm with BH and Tater on this one.  :thumbsup:

My stance is you open your Christmas presents on Christmas morning and you don't whine about getting the wrong color Power Ranger if you open your presents on December 3rd....or say this Christmas isn't as good as last Christmas, with the wrong color Power Ranger on December 3rd. Weak.

Go to a band's web site after obtaining their music without their consent or permission then bash it! How cool is that?  :-\      oh, but I'm a fan.... whatever.

makes me just want to bite my pillow

seriously

My Monkey Friend

Go to a band's web site after obtaining their music without their consent or permission then bash it! How cool is that?        oh, but I'm a fan.... whatever.

that is what (falsely) made me think it was ok to ask for a link to the leak on the band's website. but i got a little slap, and was a little confused as to why no one else did for reasons stated above.

CTdeadhead

As a rule of thumb, I don't like to critique music after only a listen or two but only after Im familiar with it a bit. 

There are tons of bands and albums that didn't grab me on the first listen but later came to love!  Z for sure was one of them, it took a while to sink into my soul.  If I love it the first time I hear it, you can bet I'll be sick of it just as fast!

e_wind

Quote from: CTdeadhead on May 04, 2011, 05:42 PM
As a rule of thumb, I don't like to critique music after only a listen or two but only after Im familiar with it a bit. 

There are tons of bands and albums that didn't grab me on the first listen but later came to love!  Z for sure was one of them, it took a while to sink into my soul.  If I love it the first time I hear it, you can bet I'll be sick of it just as fast!

thats what im sayin! its been two days!

Ruckus

Tater's point is well taken. :)

See y'all in the Dark Side thread on June 1st ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Taterbug

Quote from: Ruckus on May 04, 2011, 05:48 PM
Tater's point is well taken. :)

See y'all in the Dark Side thread on June 1st ;)

May the force be with you  :)

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe