Main Menu

Thank you!

Started by shakermaker05, May 15, 2011, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shakermaker05

To everyone whom suggested that I pick up "At Dawn" to expand my MMJ catalogue (Previously just ISM, Z, EU).   I received the album (CD version :  ( a week ago, but I was on vacation all last week so I just now have got home and had chance to listen to it and.... lets just say I have a big cheezy grin on my face right now!!  Awesome stuff and I think it will most def surpass ISM as my favourite MMJ in time.

I would list a few of my favourite tracks after my first couple listens, but that would be silly as I've bought enough music in my time to know a truly special album when I hear one and I know already that start to finish this album is just that!

I just got back on amazon and ordered a brand new vinyl copy of Acoustic Citsuoca so I'm gonna keep the good times a'coming!   

Thank you guys!!
My Morning Jacket: 2003-Cleveland, OH
My Morning Jacket: 2005-Cleveland, OH

Nikkogino

Awesome.  Yeah, I know exactly how you feel.  Back in '05 I came on these boards and some of the classic boardies insisted that I go out and get At Dawn.  I remember getting it in the mail and being instantly happy.  Glad you are enjoying the jacket.  They have become my favorite band of all time over the course of 6 years....hopefully they will become yours.  I still can't decide which album I like the best.  I go back and forth between AD and ISM.  Right now I like ISM more.

halesdd

Quote from: shakermaker05 on May 15, 2011, 03:58 PM
To everyone whom suggested that I pick up "At Dawn" to expand my MMJ catalogue (Previously just ISM, Z, EU).   I received the album (CD version :  ( a week ago, but I was on vacation all last week so I just now have got home and had chance to listen to it and.... lets just say I have a big cheezy grin on my face right now!!  Awesome stuff and I think it will most def surpass ISM as my favourite MMJ in time.

I would list a few of my favourite tracks after my first couple listens, but that would be silly as I've bought enough music in my time to know a truly special album when I hear one and I know already that start to finish this album is just that!

I just got back on amazon and ordered a brand new vinyl copy of Acoustic Citsuoca so I'm gonna keep the good times a'coming!   

Thank you guys!!

Do you have Tennessee Fire?  I love that album too.  Heartbreakin Man, They Ran, The Bear, War Begun, I Will Be There When You Die, Butch Cassedy, By My Car, I Think I Am Going To Hell.....just classic MMJ music of excellence.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

DejaView2011

I think that "It Still Moves" is my favorite of all the released studio albums too. Front to back, it's completely a perfect musical statement. "Z" is probably my #2 album, but "The way that he sings" (live version) from OKONOKOS is the song that first stole my heart and still to this day sums up how the Jacket makes me feel inside when I listen to them. It's beautiful and strange. It reminds me of that feeling of "first love". "Thank You Too" off Evil Urges also touches a chord inside me. Such an honest and beautiful, euphorically melodic song. It brings tears to my eyes everytime.
Why does my mind blow to bits everytime they play that song?

shakermaker05

Quote from: halesdd on May 15, 2011, 09:53 PM

Thank you guys!!

Do you have Tennessee Fire?  I love that album too.  Heartbreakin Man, They Ran, The Bear, War Begun, I Will Be There When You Die, Butch Cassedy, By My Car, I Think I Am Going To Hell.....just classic MMJ music of excellence.

Haven't added TF to my catalogue yet.  I wanted to get Acoustic Citsuoca b/c amazon had a couple left on vinyl for 10 bucks brand new and I wanted to make sure I got a copy at that price.  Either Tennessee Fire or Okonokos will be next! 

And awsome to see all the love for ISM!  That album will always have special meaning and place in my life.

peafunk31

Quote from: shakermaker05 on May 16, 2011, 02:55 PM
Quote from: halesdd on May 15, 2011, 09:53 PM

Thank you guys!!

Haven't added TF to my catalogue yet.  I wanted to get Acoustic Citsuoca b/c amazon had a couple left on vinyl for 10 bucks brand new and I wanted to make sure I got a copy at that price.  Either Tennessee Fire or Okonokos will be next! 

And awsome to see all the love for ISM!  That album will always have special meaning and place in my life.

when you wind up getting Okonokos, I'd suggest you buckle up for safety before you start it. That album/DVD will completely blow you away!!
Homer no function beer well without.

capt. scotty

Good call P-Funk...there have been multiple occasions where Ive put a mattress on my couch during Okonokos just so I can "stagedive" onto my couch and keep the party goin'  :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

peafunk31

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 16, 2011, 05:01 PM
Good call P-Funk...there have been multiple occasions where Ive put a mattress on my couch during Okonokos just so I can "stagedive" onto my couch and keep the party goin'  :D

Ah, the couch stagedive! Who honestly hasn't attempted this during "O is the One that is Real" or "Mahgeetah"

\m/-.-\m/
Homer no function beer well without.

DejaView2011

Every album really is essential though. The evolutionof this band is so wonderful to listen to. I'm so inlove with everything theve done. No other music makes me feel this way. Its like I feel so thankful for every song. And couch stagediving during Okonokos???!!! I jump up and down a lot and run thru sends me into space, I think its impossible to sit still while its on. Eventually seek out all the old demos. The At Dawn demos are so wonderfully raw.

halesdd

Quote from: DejaView2011 on May 17, 2011, 07:46 AM
Every album really is essential though. The evolutionof this band is so wonderful to listen to. I'm so inlove with everything theve done. No other music makes me feel this way. Its like I feel so thankful for every song. And couch stagediving during Okonokos???!!! I jump up and down a lot and run thru sends me into space, I think its impossible to sit still while its on. Eventually seek out all the old demos. The At Dawn demos are so wonderfully raw.

Dondante on Okonokos for me is so freaking powerful and beautifully played out live.  I definitely think getting each album is essential to understanding where they are now and where they came from.  They are such an ever evolving band that keeps their fans very satisfied.
And all that ever mattered will some day turn back to batter, like a joke.

DejaView2011

Quote from: halesdd on May 17, 2011, 09:25 AM

Dondante on Okonokos for me is so freaking powerful and beautifully played out live.  I definitely think getting each album is essential to understanding where they are now and where they came from.  They are such an ever evolving band that keeps their fans very satisfied.

Perfectly said Halesdd. This music is so spiritually nourishing and even healing. Loving the journey.

shakermaker05

Yeah, I know what you mean about all of them being essential.  In time I will pick them all up for sure.  It was just that when i was looking at Amazon for some more of their material to get I was overwhelmed by the catologue they have (not complaining about this ;  )

You guys have provided a great place to start with At Dawn.  As someone mentioned above I'm really excited to hear the progression the band made throughout the years as I know just from owning ISM-EU there was quite a bit of progression during that period.

To go back and hear the early stuff has been awesome.  I read on here somewhere that TF & AD were recorded in a farm silo.  I just can't get the image out of my head of these guys jamming into the morning hours under a moonlit Kentucky summer night sky everytime I listen to AD!  Such an awesome and satisfying listening experience! 

youreveningcoat

Haha I agree with the "buckle up" when you listen to okonokos.  First I got ISM and then Okonokos and god damn it was almost too much to handle :P
Do not spray into eyes, I have sprayed you into my eyes

Ghosts_on_TV

Quote from: shakermaker05 on May 18, 2011, 03:06 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean about all of them being essential.  In time I will pick them all up for sure.  It was just that when i was looking at Amazon for some more of their material to get I was overwhelmed by the catologue they have (not complaining about this ;  )

You guys have provided a great place to start with At Dawn.  As someone mentioned above I'm really excited to hear the progression the band made throughout the years as I know just from owning ISM-EU there was quite a bit of progression during that period.

To go back and hear the early stuff has been awesome.  I read on here somewhere that TF & AD were recorded in a farm silo.  I just can't get the image out of my head of these guys jamming into the morning hours under a moonlit Kentucky summer night sky everytime I listen to AD!  Such an awesome and satisfying listening experience!

It still moves was also recorded there.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...