Main Menu

Pink Floyd

Started by johnnYYac, May 17, 2011, 11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Time for a pure Pink Floyd thread, though these days that means what are Roger Waters and David Gilmour up to.

Recently, they buried the hatchet long enough for Gilmour to sit in on guitar for Comfortably Numb at Waters's The Wall show in London.

Roger Waters + David Gilmour: Comfortably Numb, Live, O2 Arena 2011

Additionally, a nice fan-shot DVD is available from The Wall show in Chicago 2010

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

To stir up the pot:

The Best Pink Floyd Album- Animals

The Best Pink Floyd Song- Echoes

The Best Pink Floyd Video- Live at Pompeii

headhunter

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
To stir up the pot:

One of my all-time favorite bands from Piper At the Gates through The Final Cut. (less so on the rogerless albums after although Gilmour's solo efforts are all special)

Almost impossible to pick a favorite song or album with this band.  It is all good and more so than almost any other band, their albums need to be listened to from start to finish.

WYWH is the album I would choose and probably Echoes for the song simply due to length.  Hard to argue with anyone who loves DSOTM, Animals, Meddle, AHM or The Wall.   I expect to still be listening to this band 20 years from now-- the music is pretty timeless.

Good thread John.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Crispy

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
To stir up the pot:

Sorry Johnny, but you already ended your own thread -- can't argue with these selections.  :thumbsup:

I also identify strongly with your comments, hh. Listening to Pink Floyd in my formative years is why I still love to listen to entire albums, "concept" or not.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

EasyRyder

Being too young to have any personal experience with the "great bands of the late sixties," I feel like my opinions are rather irrelevant, but this is the music I listen to.

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn was the first CD I ever purchased with my own money, and I still remember thinking how strange/layered/raw/alien it all sounded as Astronomy Domine kicked in. It was something I had never heard before, and that album led to my discovery of US/British psychedelia from 67-69. 

I've since turned the crazy knob down from 10 to 3 (2 on weekdays), and now I find myself preferring Meddle and IWYWH more than anything. The band's ability to make one feel wholesome and hollow all at the same time is why I always go back to them. Much like MMJ  ::)

Oh and they are one of the few bands I almost exclusively listen to on vinyl. The empty space in a lot of their stuff just sounds so damn good on the shiny black shit. IWYWH on vinyl slays me every time (I dished out some dough and bought a copy that still had the dark blue plastic album wrapping  :P).
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

buaawwww

Now THIS is a thread I can get behind!  Probably my all time favorite band...

Best Album - The Wall (always has been and always will be.  The Roger Waters tour this past year was one of the greatest shows I have ever seen).

Best Video - Live at Pompeii (hands down)

Best Song - this is waaaaayyyy too tough.  I love them all!

Pink Floyd - Echoes Part 1 (Live At Pompeii) [HD & Remastered Version]

BH

I have a hard time picking a favorite album.  I guess all I can say is that these days, I listen Meddle, Obscured By Clouds and The Final Cut more than any other album.

Live at Pompeii is definately the shit.    Second place would be the Roger Waters DVD, In The Flesh.   So well made and the musicianship is top notch.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

johnnYYac

This is what I'm talking about. 

I remember some crazy high school days, circa 1984, hiding out with my buddy Chris, listening to Meddle vinly through his dad's 901s, grabbing each other's skulls during Echoes.  We were weird.

I also agree that post-Waters, Gilmour-led Floyd wasn't the same, but it was good.  I saw live PF for Momentary Lapse and Division Bell.  Also saw Waters Pros and Cons show (without Clapton, unfortunately) and Gilmour's About Face tour in '84.  For a solid solo effort, check out Gilmour's first, self-titled solo album; good solid rock album.

Tracy 2112

Quote from: johnnYYac on May 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
Also saw Waters Pros and Cons show (without Clapton, unfortunately) and Gilmour's About Face tour in '84.

I saw Roger Waters in your neck of the woods, Portland, Maine in November 87; Radio Kaos tour
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on May 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
Also saw Waters Pros and Cons show (without Clapton, unfortunately) and Gilmour's About Face tour in '84.

I saw Roger Waters in your neck of the woods, Portland, Maine in November 87; Radio Kaos tour
Really?  Can't believe I missed that, though in '87 I was in heavy Deadhead mode.  Might have just not realized.  I missed a lot in those days.  ::)

Ruckus

The only other band besides RUSH that I fantically listened to and collected.  As a high schooler during the Division Bell era, I found Division Bell and MLOR to be palatable.  Ahh the good memories of being fried after school at 15 sitting in my bedroom with blacklights and lava lamps on and Floyd blasting.  My mom would come into my room in angry Japanese woman mode and ask in a stern voice with heavy accent, "Ah you doing the dlugs?"

Anywho my top 5 albums I think:

1.  The Wall
2.  Animals
3.  Obscured by Clouds
4.  Pipers
5.  Wish You Were Here

To this day I never understood the appeal of DSOTM but Meddle needs to fit in this list somewhere.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Crispy

Quote from: Ruckus on May 17, 2011, 03:38 PM
To this day I never understood the appeal of DSOTM but Meddle needs to fit in this list somewhere.

You must have never rolled around town in your buddy's Datsun D210 with your friends, doing the dlugs and blasting DSOTM through an 8-track player.

e_wind

I love DSOTM, but have to say Animals is a better album... I'm far to young to be around when they existed (about 30 years too late) but I love me some Floyd. SOYCD is probably my favorite song, however cliche. I argue all the time that I think DSOTM is the most famous album of all time. Who doesn't know that symbol? I love the F'Lips take on it, and can't wait to see it at RR. I got hooked on Floyd after the Dark Side of the Wall show they have here in Louisville. Its fantastic, and I suggest it to anyone who lives here when it comes around next February. During Wish You Were Here they show many famous, dead RnR artists ending with John Lennon. That was probably my favorite part of the "show," and the woman they had do The Great Gig solo was my favorite part musically. Ab-so-fucking-lute-ly killed it.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

Tracy 2112

I'd have to go with Wish You Were here for favorite album. I confess there is a lot of sentimentality attached to that record (along with fond memories of listening to it in odd situations at odd times after midnight  ::)) I also wonder how I would feel about Dark Side of the Moon if I had not heard it in it's entirety 5,000 times. My brother got that album when it came out and I have been "listening to it" since I was 9.

Favorite song, today, would be Shine on You Crazy Diamond I-V

Saw Pompeii at one of those midnight movie deals in about 1979. We put a little something special in our popcorn and one of our friends bolted out the theater in the middle of the show. I'd never seen anyone run so quickly, so quietly. We were so transfixed that no one spoke of it until we got back to the car after it was over.

And (new category): Favorite Pink Floyd picture-

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Crispy on May 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on May 17, 2011, 03:38 PM

You must have never rolled around town in your buddy's Datsun D210 with your friends, doing the dlugs and blasting DSOTM through an 8-track player.

oh hell yeah!

or a fist fight over shotgun in the Celica!

Crispy

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on May 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
I also wonder how I would feel about Dark Side of the Moon if I had not heard it in it's entirety 5,000 times. My brother got that album when it came out and I have been "listening to it" since I was 9.
One of my favorite quotes, from David Gilmour in the DSOTM documentary: "I wish I had had the chance to listen to that album without ever having heard it before."

Favorite Floyd picture:

TEO

saw them in '76 or '77 in Phoenix at the height of the animals tour, 3 rows back...the musicianship was incredibly tight and had studio like precision...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

BH

Favorite Pink Floyd Pictures

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

DewieCox

Hard to top Obscured By Clouds-The Wall.....

Favorite album is the one from that run^^^^that I'm listening to at any given moment, but I can't say anything they did is better than DSOTM with a straight face. It's the perfect album.

Don't think I could narrow it down to one song, but Dogs, Echoes, Time, Wotsuh The Deal and Shine On...... are up there.

Pompeii is majestic, and only Gilmour's Remember That Night comes close to me. Pulse is awesome, but I think the sound of the band could be better.

I don't really care about pics of them.

Ghosts_on_TV

Is say Animals and Obscured by Clouds are tied for first.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...