Ben Harpers new album

Started by rincon, May 20, 2011, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Quote from: Mr. White on Feb 05, 2013, 10:32 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
Man, reading back in this thread I had thought it felt like he ditched the Innocent Criminals because he needed to reinvent himself, and while I really liked the Relentless 7 album and Give Til Its Gone, I was not expecting this!! Ive been wishing since I started listening to him in the 10th grade that he would release an album that was entirely reggae or blues as he sounds so great in those genres, but I never thought it would happen, especially where the music was at 5 years ago.

Get Up! is a masterpiece, not just a blues masterpiece. Not a song I dont like on it. Ive listened to it about a half dozen times now and over half the album is contending for my favorite song. Charlie Musselwhite sounds great. Without a doubt I already think this is Ben Harper's best album in over 15 years. Its only January and Id be shocked if this isnt my album of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YndfhwNMniI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc17h6z6d64

Thanks for posting about a new Ben Harper album! I don't get on his Interweb site much or read up on new releases these days, so I was glad to find out this was out there. (I try to get everything he puts out. I love all of his music.) Your praise for Get Up! got my hopes up for it to be a killer album. I got it 2 days ago, and I believe your impressions of it are correct. It may very well be "a masterpiece". I only wish it were a song or 3 longer.

I have only seen him once and may look into catching a show on this tour. A friend I turned on to Ben Harper thinks she is in love with him, and she tries to go to at least 4 or 5 shows each tour.

I wish it were a few songs longer as well, but its a tight album, albeit a little short. I think JJ's album is about the same run time. That album leaves me feeling like I want more, because Im still waiting for something. This Ben Harper album left me wanting more, but because  I was so blown away and was wishing for another song or 2.

No clue where u live man, but I wouldnt miss this tour if theyre coming near you (which considering the few dates announced thus far, they might not be). Musselwhite will kill the harp, and certainly Ben will bust out some of his tunes. I cant wait to see them this tour, I havent seen Ben Harper since the Lifeline tour like 5 years ago and that was when I started to sour on him.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jeff Murray

I'll be in Nashville when he plays the Northeast shows... so I'm hoping they come back to play Philly or Baltimore later in the year.

Anyone else really dig the bass line in Get Up?  I like how they put the bass in the forefront of that song, reminds of Fugazi's The Waiting Room in how the bass is driving the song and is essentially the main focus for once.  That is how you showcase your bass player!
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

Mr. White

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 06, 2013, 12:17 AM
Quote from: Mr. White on Feb 05, 2013, 10:32 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Jan 30, 2013, 02:05 PM
Man, reading back in this thread I had thought it felt like he ditched the Innocent Criminals because he needed to reinvent himself, and while I really liked the Relentless 7 album and Give Til Its Gone, I was not expecting this!! Ive been wishing since I started listening to him in the 10th grade that he would release an album that was entirely reggae or blues as he sounds so great in those genres, but I never thought it would happen, especially where the music was at 5 years ago.

Get Up! is a masterpiece, not just a blues masterpiece. Not a song I dont like on it. Ive listened to it about a half dozen times now and over half the album is contending for my favorite song. Charlie Musselwhite sounds great. Without a doubt I already think this is Ben Harper's best album in over 15 years. Its only January and Id be shocked if this isnt my album of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YndfhwNMniI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc17h6z6d64

Thanks for posting about a new Ben Harper album! I don't get on his Interweb site much or read up on new releases these days, so I was glad to find out this was out there. (I try to get everything he puts out. I love all of his music.) Your praise for Get Up! got my hopes up for it to be a killer album. I got it 2 days ago, and I believe your impressions of it are correct. It may very well be "a masterpiece". I only wish it were a song or 3 longer.

I have only seen him once and may look into catching a show on this tour. A friend I turned on to Ben Harper thinks she is in love with him, and she tries to go to at least 4 or 5 shows each tour.

I wish it were a few songs longer as well, but its a tight album, albeit a little short. I think JJ's album is about the same run time. That album leaves me feeling like I want more, because Im still waiting for something. This Ben Harper album left me wanting more, but because  I was so blown away and was wishing for another song or 2.

No clue where u live man, but I wouldnt miss this tour if theyre coming near you (which considering the few dates announced thus far, they might not be). Musselwhite will kill the harp, and certainly Ben will bust out some of his tunes. I cant wait to see them this tour, I havent seen Ben Harper since the Lifeline tour like 5 years ago and that was when I started to sour on him.

I live in central Kentucky (Hodgenville - Birthplace of Abraham Lincoln) about 55 miles from downtown Louisville and about 130 miles from downtown Nashville (These are my two primary concert cities) and just got a ticket to see this tour in Nashville one week from tonight - Sept. 14, 2013 at The Ryman Auditorium. The friend I posted about who thinks she is in love with Ben told me about the show, and I will be heading down to Nashville with her and her husband. The show we saw together was in 2007 at The Palace Theatre in Louisville. Since then, she has gone all over the place to catch Ben Harper shows. This will only be the second time for me to see him. I'm pretty excited to go! I'll post some photos and a video or two, if they come out good.
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

Fully

I'll be at that show too Mr White.

Mr. White

Quote from: Fully on Sep 08, 2013, 11:56 AM
I'll be at that show too Mr White.

Very cool, Fully! I'll be in section 6 on the main floor, and my friends will be a little closer to the stage in section 5. I'll be on the look-out for you pretty redish-brown "Fully" hair.

You sure do get out to all kinds of shows. I bet you can't even begin to count all your concerts/bands. I recently put all my ticket stubs and memorabilia into one box and stuck rock and roll bumper stickers all over it. I have most of them, but my little cousin stole some from my room back in the 1980's, and my aunt found a few in his pockets in the wash. I think my brother still has all his stubs though.

Fully

I'll be up top on the first row, left side of the stage, first seat next to the wall. I bought my ticket after they had been on sale while and got what possibly might be the worst best seat the Ryman has. I'll be solo at this show.

Mr. White

I finally got home where I could put a video from last night's show on YouTube. (With my slow Interweb connection, it takes more than a couple of hours to upload a 4 or 5 minute video.)

Anyway, the show was excelent! Ben and Charlie Musselwhite played all 10 songs from their album Get Up! Also, Led Zeppelin's When The Levee Breaks was killer! Here is the setlist.

Bold print songs are from Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite Get Up!

Get Up!
I Don't Believe A Word You Say

The Blues Overtook Me
Don't Look Twice
When It's Good
She Got Kick
I'm In I'm Out And I'm Gone
Blood Side Out

Homeless Child
I Ride at Dawn
I'm Goin' Home
Long Distance Call
When the Levee Breaks

-----encore-----

We Can't End This Way
Long Legged Woman
You Found Another Lover (I Lost Another Friend)
All That Matters Now

Here is We Can't End This Way
Ben Harper - We Can't End This Way - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, Tennessee - 9/14/2013

Mr. White

Mr. White

Here is You Found Another Lover (I Lost Another Friend). This last of the 3 videos I was able to record is a little shakey, but the sound is still pretty good.
Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite - You Found Another Lover - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville

Fully

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 16, 2013, 10:18 PM
Here is You Found Another Lover (I Lost Another Friend). This last of the 3 videos I was able to record is a little shakey, but the sound is still pretty good.
Ben Harper and Charlie Musselwhite - You Found Another Lover - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville

I'm so glad you got this one! It's my favorite song off this album.

capt. scotty

Glad you enjoyed the show Mr. White. I guess I never posted in here when I saw this your in May, but it was fantastic. Hard to compare it to the other Ben shows Ive seen, but it really was a once in a lifetime show (unless you saw more than 1 show from this tour).

My set looked pretty similar to yours besides order. When The Levee Breaks was sick.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Mr. White

Quote from: Mr. White on Sep 15, 2013, 10:49 PM
I finally got home where I could put a video from last night's show on YouTube. (With my slow Interweb connection, it takes more than a couple of hours to upload a 4 or 5 minute video.)

Anyway, the show was excelent! Ben and Charlie Musselwhite played all 10 songs from their album Get Up! Also, Led Zeppelin's When The Levee Breaks was killer! Here is the setlist.

Bold print songs are from Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite Get Up!

Get Up!
I Don't Believe A Word You Say

The Blues Overtook Me
Don't Look Twice
When It's Good
She Got Kick
I'm In I'm Out And I'm Gone
Blood Side Out

Homeless Child
I Ride at Dawn
I'm Goin' Home
Long Distance Call
When the Levee Breaks

-----encore-----

We Can't End This Way
Long Legged Woman
You Found Another Lover (I Lost Another Friend)
All That Matters Now

Here is We Can't End This Way
Ben Harper - We Can't End This Way - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, Tennessee - 9/14/2013

Here is a short behind the scenes thing I found on YouTube today. You just have to ignore the Nissan stuff at the beginning and the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0FpZEH-48M