Let It Roll.... A George Harrison Thread

Started by woodnymph, May 21, 2011, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodnymph

Hey all, I tried a George Harrison search and could only come up with a couple regarding YY's tribute album and a sweet birthday thread... let me know if there's another one out there that I've missed!

I've just been channeling so much George the past few months, I'd love to see others' thoughts and etc about the Dark Horse  8)

And my friend just sent me this tidbit, and it just urged me to share on here!

"George Harrison was reportedly the inspiration for "The Rain Song" when he made a comment to Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, about the fact that the group never wrote any ballads.  In tribute to Harrison, the opening two chords are recognizably borrowed from the first line of his ballad "Something" with The Beatles."

Just love this man.... and after coming to such an overwhelming interest and understanding of his life / the path he walked, it's just so much more meaningful that Jim dedicated a whole tribute album to him.

Let It Roll......

George Harrison - Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

Tracy 2112

George Harrison-Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)

This one is pretty cool. Story goes it's George demoing to Ringo Starr how to sing Ringo's future hit (even though some say George wrote it)

George Harrison - It Don't Come Easy
Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

TheBigChicken

the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

woodnymph

TBC!  This song has been on repeat, it's almost become a mantra in its own right, and it's not even on Chant and Be Happy album!!  :P  I love the Beware of ABKCO album... so many solid versions of songs.

"Beware of sadness... it can hit you.. it will hurtttt you.....
It can go and make you sore
And that is NOT-
What you are, here for

That just seems to automatically pop into my brain anytime a sad or upsetting thought comes to mind.

I've kind of made a hand-picked George album that's been firmly implanted in my cd players in my car and at home... featuring both versions of The Art of Dying and Beware of Darkness, also EVERYBODY NOBODY, Ballad of SFC, and the SNL with Paul Simon, "Homeward Bound".... amongst many others.

George Harrison - Everybody, Nobody - Acoustic Version

Paul Simon and George Harrison - Homeward Bound

Tracy I love the video there for "It Don't Come Easy!!!"  Those are some classic video clips I've never seen!! 1:25-1:35 makes you feel like you're actually walking through the corridor with him  8)   Lots of little video gems there, thanks for sharing!!!  ;D  So glad for the awesome feedback!!!!

headhunter

Wow, that is one awesome video. Paul Simon's songs are brilliant and to see him doing this with George is really special.  George is really missed.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

woodnymph

Quote from: headhunter on May 22, 2011, 08:56 AM
Wow, that is one awesome video. Paul Simon's songs are brilliant and to see him doing this with George is really special.  George is really missed.
I love their faces and the gentle way they harmonize  :)  And I love at the end when George throws down a little bluesy 2-second capper on the song, and Paul makes a great face like " ???"  heheh there was only one other vid I could find from the night.... it's pretty hazy quality though, but to me it makes it feel like a dream  :)

George Harrison & Paul Simon - Here comes the sun (video)

Wish I was there!  8)

headhunter

thanks for sharing. so great to see these 2 wonderful singer/songwriters share the same stage in their prime.

Im The Dude

All Things Must Pass is one of my favorite albums of all time.
7/9/03 6/8/04 10/4/08 5/2/10 8/27/10 10/18--10/23/10(T5) 8/10/11 8/12/11

headhunter

Quote from: Im The Dude on May 22, 2011, 07:29 PM

This thread inspired me for my sunday night listening.  Have ATMP spinning now.  Never get tired of this one. Doubt I ever will.

woodnymph

Quote from: headhunter on May 22, 2011, 09:04 PM

This thread inspired me for my sunday night listening.  Have ATMP spinning now.  Never get tired of this one. Doubt I ever will.

Oh I wish this board provided us teleporting capabilities and we could all have a George listening party!!! So awesome to connect with people who just 'get it'

capt. scotty

Hands down the best solo-Beatles album IMHO....Makes me wish he wrote more songs during the Beatle years
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Im The Dude

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 22, 2011, 09:47 PM

Hands down the best solo-Beatles album IMHO....Makes me wish he wrote more songs during the Beatle years

Plastic Ono Band is another great solo album!

weeniebeenie

I love the Wilburys. And It was all because of George that they started...

Traveling Wilburys - Handle With Care
How loud can silence get?

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 22, 2011, 09:47 PM

All Things Must Pass is my favorite Beatles solo album too and the first Beatles solo album I bought. I listened to it a lot after the passing of a family member, it definitely helped a lot. Thanks for starting the thread woody.

george harrison - Behind That Locked Door live

I thought this was a Beatles song the first time I heard it
George Harrison My Sweet Lord
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Thanks for the link, weeniebeen!!  I've got some catchin' up to do with the Wilburys!!  Good stuff!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice videos too, Truth, thanks for sharing!!  Yeah, All Things Must Pass proves quite helpful with life's losses...  and I find it very life-enriching, reminding us to live each moment as if they are our last.  I find myself picking out microscopic parts of the songs that seem physically small or short in length, but that become astronomically huge, spiritually.  Just the phrase "Let it roll"..... just a good reminder anytime I find myself focusing too much on any one thing, as though George were there next to me reminding me to just let things roll off.... hell, through the hall and out the door!

And (like I'd mentioned earlier) I love the part in Beware of Darkness, "It can go and make you sore and that is not... what you are here for"

Really short and sweet pick-me-ups that span a great distance in my soul day-to-day  :)

ManNamedTruth

Quote from: woodnymph on May 23, 2011, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the link, weeniebeen!!  I've got some catchin' up to do with the Wilburys!!  Good stuff!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice videos too, Truth, thanks for sharing!!  Yeah, All Things Must Pass proves quite helpful with life's losses...  and I find it very life-enriching, reminding us to live each moment as if they are our last.  I find myself picking out microscopic parts of the songs that seem physically small or short in length, but that become astronomically huge, spiritually.  Just the phrase "Let it roll"..... just a good reminder anytime I find myself focusing too much on any one thing, as though George were there next to me reminding me to just let things roll off.... hell, through the hall and out the door!

And (like I'd mentioned earlier) I love the part in Beware of Darkness, "It can go and make you sore and that is not... what you are here for"

Really short and sweet pick-me-ups that span a great distance in my soul day-to-day  :)

I think the second video is from Concert For Bangladesh, it's on DVD so check that out if you haven't seen it.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

woodnymph

Sweet I tend to be real tardy with videos/movies and etc... it's near the top of the list though for sure!

woodnymph

Im The Dude

That last video was from the Beatles DVD Anthology! There is some great videos of Paul George and Ringo.

woodnymph

Quote from: Im The Dude on Jun 07, 2011, 07:24 PM
That last video was from the Beatles DVD Anthology! There is some great videos of Paul George and Ringo.
Hahahahahh I know I love it!!!  I've been lucky enough to catch several random people and/or friends who own the Anthologies and have played them while I was around...  makes me miss my upstairs neighbor who moved... cool kid, got a George-inspired tattoo on his arm before he moved, "We're All One, And Life Flows On, Within You & Without You"...

Love the Anthology discs, the cds AND the dvds... all super classic material  8)