Main Menu

Dawes

Started by kotchishm, Jun 07, 2011, 01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come Closer

I'm liking the new song. Much like Arbouretum, they're sound hasn't evolved all that much and I don't care one bit.

weeniebeenie

I have invested in some Dawes since I last posted in this thread. I bought a Dawes/Justin Townes Earle split vinyl from Daytrotter. I really like The Way You Laugh.
How loud can silence get?

Penny Lane

I'm not really into the new song...hope the rest of the album is better.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

marino13

I'm just really hoping for no lyrics about mashed potatoes and chicken wings.  I skip that song every time and it made me cringe when I heard them sing it at Newport last year.

Ob1jacobe

Quote from: marino13 on Feb 14, 2013, 01:15 PM
I'm just really hoping for no lyrics about mashed potatoes and chicken wings.  I skip that song every time and it made me cringe when I heard them sing it at Newport last year.

Me too!  And i think the rest of that song is pretty good.

Penny Lane

lyrically, this album may hit a new low for me..

Come Closer

Yeah the first run through of the album was disappointing for me.

Jackets N Pones

Fire Away solo is one of my favorites
Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Come Closer

Angelo

I was very underwhelmed hearing whatever song I heard off the new record. That's my first impression but after hearing that I'm not nearly as excited to hear the rest. I'll still check it out though.

jaye

I cringe at those lyrics and at the lead singer's deliberately messy hair.

I liked most of the first 2 albums but nothing stands out on this one after listening twice.

marino13

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 04, 2013, 11:08 AM

The first line of the first song had something about buying your girl glamour shots at the mall.  Once I heard that, I probably didn't give the rest of the album a fair chance.  For some, I'm sure this type of specific lyric writing (glamour shots, chicken wings) adds color to the song.  For me, that color is brown, turd-brown.  I doubt I will pick this one up.

Penny Lane

Quote from: marino13 on Apr 10, 2013, 11:10 AM

The first line of the first song had something about buying your girl glamour shots at the mall.  Once I heard that, I probably didn't give the rest of the album a fair chance.  For some, I'm sure this type of specific lyric writing (glamour shots, chicken wings) adds color to the song.  For me, that color is brown, turd-brown.  I doubt I will pick this one up.

i'm a fan of literal lyrics (see Drive-by Truckers) but it's a bit too far..

marino13

Quote from: Penny Lane on Apr 10, 2013, 02:12 PM
Quote from: marino13 on Apr 10, 2013, 11:10 AM

i'm a fan of literal lyrics (see Drive-by Truckers) but it's a bit too far..

Agree, never felt that way about DBT.   This is just a little too cheesy.  First album was fine, it seems to be getting worse with each new release.

rincon2

I have listened to them before, and did not really remember much of what I heard. Checked out their last album today. Now I remember why I did not remember. ZZZZZZZZZ. I thought of a few ways to describe them for those who have not heard them.
Jackson Brown Jr.
Americana-ish music for those who don't like Americana
Testosterone Free:For Her Pleasure
One band that should never play a show at night. Some of us are old, and don't need sleep inducing tunes after sunset.This is best heard sitting in the grass with Boones Farm in the sun in June. You are supposed to doze off then.

It is not terrible music, but it is about as exiting as Ambrosia.

EverythingChanges

I saw them open for Conor, and I have to agree.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

manonthemoon

I remember seeing them years ago, around 09 or so with Blitzen Trapper and all I could think about was this is basically a "Dawson's Creek" soundtrack, not really my thing.
Alive or Just Breathing

Northern Neighbour

Most people know my feelings for Dawes, and it isn't a positive one.

johnnYYac

Well, I saw them recently here in Iowa City, after a long chat with Taylor about how great MMJ are, and it was fine. For $25 on a mid-week eve, I was satisfied. I'd prefer many other bands as part of OBH2, but they're tight with MMJ and its their choice. I can live with it.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.